“Cigar Sanctuary - Churchill Bar” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 154 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Rumson, New Jersey
“Cigar Sanctuary - Churchill Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Walking through a reasonably majestic lobby in downtown Denver, one makes his (or her) way into the Churchill Bar, somewhat clouded in a haze of cigar smoke...
The room is on the smaller side, but accommodates those of us wishing to indulge, along with space for the those we may have dragged along.
Gracious staff, interesting seating from 4 top tables to leather sofas. Everyone from cowboys (and girls) to the discontented girlfriend, no doubt wondering how long it's gonna take to get the cigar smell out of her hair...
Any place that welcomes cigar smokers is a welcome place to a cigar smoker, and the environment and bar here do not disappoint.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeanG54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

The BP continues to be a shining boutique / historic building in the downtown Denver area - however all of the staff from front desk to Sales to Security should go back to Customer Service 101! On my current trip i've been locked out of the business center three times, given three different scenarios by the front desk and security staf as twhy this is COULD be an issue, had someons from Sales (at least) ask about an issue, but never return to give me an update - leaving me standing in hallway...
The hotel hasa great traditin of offering a shoe shine if shoes are place on your door by a certain time (10:30 PM). When I called to let the front desk know I had placed shoes on the knob, they let me know they would not be ready until Noon the next day (checkout time!). Given an 8:00 business meeting, iremoved the shoes from the door - onl;y to have a knock on the door around 11:45 PM from a porter looking for the shoes! He said the desk was completely wrong on the return, and they would be back on the knob by 4:00AM (they were).

Perhaps there is a new GM here that doesn't grasp what differenciates on property from another,or there is a complete breakdown betweeen divisions - at any case they should put down their smart phones and talk with one another!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Ryan P, Front Office Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear Mr. Wedemeyer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m greatly disappointed with the different issues you encountered while staying with us. I assure you the engineering and service opportunities you encountered while on property have been addressed. We do offer complimentary shoe shine services and can have these delivered at any time requested. Unfortunately this was not communicated clearly and I for this I truly apologize.

Mr. Wedemeyer, I understand the impact these issues had on your stay. I am hopeful should you return to Denver you will consider staying with us again. I’m confident you will have a much different experience. Please contact me directly to assist with any such requests at rpratt@brownpalace.com.

Thank you again for sharing your candid remarks.

Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I just returned from a stay in the Brown Palace. The building itself is beautiful with a stained glass ceiling and beautiful turn-of-the century details. They also offer afternoon tea in the lobby and set it up very nicely. There are a few eating options which I did not try and a spa in house that has a good reputation in town. However, the charm didn't always carry to the rooms. The room did have some charm but was not always good take on the heritage of the building. Furnishings seem a bit cheap and old (not in an antique sort of way). My colleagues stayed in the Comfort inn across the street which I learned shared the same owners. If you are here for business, as I was, I would opt for the Comfort Inn. You get more value. While I had to pay internet at a rate of $11 per day, they offered it to their guests for free. Other pluses for crossing the street is cheaper rates, larger rooms and breakfast included (although I hear it was hideous). If you happen to be staying while an event is happening, watch out for the noise which can quickly take over the space (ask for rooms higher up). Having said this, the service at the Palace was great. With only one exception, the front staff was extremely attentive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pacificarol
Ryan P, Front Office Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent visit. I was very pleased to read your comments regarding our service and that you enjoyed different aspects of your stay including our stained glass ceiling in the atrium.

We pride ourselves on ensuring all our guests get a “Historic” hotel visit with all the modern amenities and furnishings available. I was very disheartened to hear this was not the case with your stay and I greatly apologize.

While our valued Comfort Inn guests do have several of the same amenities and services available to them, it is still not the same high-end luxury experience that can only be found at the “Brown Palace”.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your candid feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Bermuda2010
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We spent 4 nights on the recently refurbished "Top of The Brown" floor. The hotel and room was beautiful and service generally very good with one major exception. We requested no feathers/down in the room due to allergies, via our hotel web site booking,2 separate phone calls to hotel before arriving, at arrival and for 2 days and nights to various departments. Everyone is kind , but never follows through. We were offered more down pillows and mismatched "army" looking blankets after a night of freezing. The pillow in the closet was soiled in a horrible way.
This was all conveyed at checkout and on the online after stay survey, but no response or formal apology other than the sweet lady at the front desk saying she was sorry and her manager would call.
The bellmen,valets, waitstaff and concierge were wonderful.
We enjoyed a very nice room service breakfast and dinner at The Ships Tavern and would have liked to had the time to eat at the other restaurants and have tea.
Overall we had a nice stay and enjoyed the BEAUTIFUL Brown Palace and would stay there again.
I would have given this 5 stars had I not had the filthy in room pillow and the lack of regard for my common allergy requests that took days to resolve. Having to sleep with towels as pillows and blankets is not 4 or 5 star.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NY-traveler63
Dear guest,
Thank you kindly for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay.
I am extremely sorry and embarrassed to hear your experience with such a simple request as getting no feathers/down in your guest room. Our standard is to ensure every guest request is taken care of in a timely manner and then to follow up to ensure complete satisfaction, which obviously we failed in doing so. Please accept my sincere apologies.
I do wish to thank you for your comments regarding our bell, valet, wait staff and concierge. They are the very “soul” of our property and we are extremely honored to have such dedicated employees. I truly hope we are able to have you return again as a guest. I’m completely confident you will have a great experience.
Please contact me directly at rpratt@brownpalace.com to personally handle any reservation needs or request.

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I was looking forward to our stay at the Brown Palace but ended up being disappointed. We had suite but the layout was such lounge area was unusable for acomodating guest. The room furnishings were outdated and it lacked basic amenities such as modern phones and mini-bar. I'm only giving it 2 stars because I appreciate historic buildings and architecture. But the room was not at all comfortable.

Room Tip: Take a critical inspection of the room before accepting it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your critique and for staying with us recently at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa.

I am glad to know you appreciated the historic architecture of Denver's "Grand Dame", however, I am truly sorry to learn that the layout of your suite was not conducive to entertaining and had resulted in a less than comfortable experience.

We are pleased to offer an extensive selection of suite and room types with varying degrees of layouts and amenities all designed to meet the discerning needs of our guests. Our staff would be more than happy to show you available room configurations during your next stay so that we can ensure the room you receive is most appropriate for your particular needs.

We would be most grateful for an opportunity to turn your "disappointing" experience into a memorable one. We hope to see you again soon!