“Great food!”
Review of Buckhorn Exchange

Buckhorn Exchange
Reserve with OpenTable
Buckhorn Exchange is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #108 of 3,482 Restaurants in Denver
Price range: USD 41 - USD 80
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Visiting Denver before leaving for Atlanta, the Buckhorn came highly recommended from a friend. The decor inside the restaurant is something, seeing elk, deer, bear and a lot of other wildlife.

My wife, daughter and I all had the special....4 oz Buffalo and 4 oz Elk with mashed potatoes as our entree. Very good food along with the buffalo chili before the entree. And we had room for desert! Cheesecake and ice cream.

Definitely would dine here again and again!

1  Thank rcline2016
Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a great lunch. Prices are very reasonable! For lunch, we had bison sausage appetizer, bison burger, Rueben, beer and cocktail for $54. Staff was super friendly! Great decor in an historic building! We will definitely come back!

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Reportedly Colorado’s oldest bar with multitudes of hunting trophies and stuffed animals. So it is quaint. Food-wise, it is expensive and disappointing. Dishes lacked any finesse, meats were over cooked and tough. Most dishes in the $40+ range which for me means that it should be really, really good. It wasn’t. Even the ancient bar lacks any draught beer and has rather dull cocktails.

2  Thank Frederick_Albert_III
Reviewed 5 March 2018

The Buckhorn Exchange is an EXPERIENCE! I would recommend making a reservation, then come a few minutes early, check in, and head upstairs for a drink. You can see the original liquor license behind the bar. Grab a drink (I recommend the Jackalope) and settle into one of the over-sized chairs or couches. Sometimes there's a gentleman playing music.

The entirety of the restaurant, upstairs and down, is covered in stuffed and taxidermied animals. They all look incredibly real. The staff encourages you to walk around and check them all out. The bartenders/waiter staff/etc. are all so friendly and knowledgeable about the food.

Speaking of food - it's incredible. If they're offering the rattlesnake dip as one of the specials (it's not on the menu, which you can take home with you), get it! It's delicious. I had the elk and buffalo, with garlic mashed potatoes, and steamed veggies. Wonderful. Chose the soup over the salad, house special buffalo vegetable soup. For dessert, Dutch apple pie with rum sauce a la mode.

The food is cooked to order, so don't expect to get everything immediately. Also, it's expensive. For 3 people, expect to drop around $300. But it's worth it for a special event or if you're in town on vacation.

Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

This is one of the coolest restaurants I think I've ever attended. I lucked up on it of course being in Denver and they told me that it's where they brought Custer's belongings back after the battle. It's at 10th and Osage pretty much close to downtown. It's on the railroad track and like a two-story old house that was supposedly western cowboy Hotel. If you're offended by stuffed animals and trophy heads of deer and elk and so forth don't go. If there's one mounted on the wall that has to be 300. I live in New Orleans and ask him how they prepared there there Buffalo prime rib. They told me chorus broiled seared and blackened. I told the waitress how do y'all know how to blacken things with maybe and living in New Orleans. She said trust me it's delicious. So I ordered it and my friend ordered a pheasant and when I bit into the prime rib the best piece of meat I've ever had I think in my life. We both ate on it and still couldn't eat it all. We went back the next night. I heard some people ask the same questions and I politely interrupted and said if you get the blackened prime rib and you don't like the first taste I'll take it and you can order something else. It's a great cozy atmosphere the bars on the second floor is just a really cool spot in Denver Colorado to visit

1  Thank tommy w