“Truly outstanding homemade flavors & quick service!”
Review of Black-eyed Pea

Black-eyed Pea
Ranked #468 of 3,152 Restaurants in Denver
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit to this chain restaurant, although I know someone whose favorite memory of working there during college (at another nearby location a few years ago) was the pleasure of handing a to-go order on Valentine's Day to none other than John Elway (Denver Broncos QB & two-time back-to-back Super Bowl Champion), who loves their food & was very personable.

We'd just spent a big chunk of our Saturday at the Denver Zoo, & real homemade food sounded great. The menu is large & varied, & I ordered Fried Green Tomatoes as our appetizer, which for $5.99 with 6 thick slices coated in a slightly spicy cornbread mixture & a small boat of ranch, was really, really good!

David ordered the Pot Roast & Meatloaf Combo with two sides, dressing & squash casserole, for $13.89. I decided on the Irish Pie ($11.00), which is their unbelievably tender Pot Roast layered with green beans, carrots, onions---topped with a thick layer of homemade mashed potatoes with lots of cheddar cheese over that. My sides were the squash casserole & cinnamon apples. Both entrees came with homemade yeast rolls & cornbread muffins, served with lots of soft whipped butter & Colorado honey.

We loved everything about our dinners, including the quick service! Our server, Yuli, was always smiling, helpful, & we appreciate very much that she served us our appetizer & allowed us to finish it before bringing our entrees out.

The squash casserole is simply melt-in-your-mouth goodness! Absolutely one of the best-tasting side dishes we've ever had, anywhere.

This restaurant has about 15 side dishes, so there's literally something for everyone. A vegetarian can enjoy a meal of 5 sides, or 3 sides with a salad or bowl of soup; I nearly chose that myself! The soups sounded great, too, including a Chicken Tortilla (my favorite), broccoli & cheese, etc. Everything here tastes so fresh & homemade!

Our receipt had a nice surprise, too---bring it in for 10% off through 10/1/17---you don't have to ask us twice, we'll definitely be back soon for all that deliciousness! We just wish we had tried this restaurant so much sooner!

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

I wish we had one of these where we live. Good size portions and fair prices. The service was solid. The best part is the rolls and cornbread that come with the meal... Awesome!!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

we picked up a to go order which included soup, salad and several entrees. When we got home the order was short 2 items that we were charged for, one soup lid came off and when we lifted the bag out of the car the bottom fell out and all the food ended up in the street. the 2 entrees that were salvaged were not good and over cooked. When we called the manager to let them know and get a refund we were told we would only be allowed a store credit.... Terrible. Would not ever eat here again...

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Food was delicious , prices were reasonable, and our service was impeccable! Our waiter, Miles, was awesome!

Reviewed 18 June 2017

My family and I have eaten or had take out from the black Eyed Pea for many years. I ordered take out for us on 6-16-17. Well the food was not what it has been in the past. It lacked favor, I got my grand daughter the kid's pot roast and it seems that the portion has shrunk, with her meal she wanted a baked sweet potato and it was not cooked all the way through. I got Chicken fried steak it did not seem to have much flavor at all. My wife got chicken fingers and she even said they were not that good. I was talking to the person at the bar and she told me that the kids meal had gone from $4.99 to $5.99 because the food distributor's raised there prices. Well if you raise your prices in crease the portion size as well. It is like the grocery store, Ice cream used to come in a half gallon container now it is a quart and a half and the price is the same.

Come on Blacked Eyed Pea get with the program. The black eyed pea has been a Denver staple for more that 30 years don't let it go down hill.