“Always enjoy my food (and leftovers!)”
Review of New Saigon

New Saigon
Ranked #201 of 3,325 Restaurants in Denver
Price range: USD 18 - USD 35
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

I can’t say I have any other authentic Vietnamese restaurants to compare this to, but I’ve enjoyed their Dac Biet each of the four times I’ve been there. Initially a vendor of mine introduced me to Vietnamese cuisine here a couple years ago and I usually get the craving every six months or so to head back.

More than half of the patrons were Asian when I’ve visited, which is usually a good sign that the food is authentic and not Americanized. The restaurant is usually 3/4 full even during a mid-week lunch hour. I enjoy the large variety of the large 3-4 person platter that is the Saigon Dac Biet each time I go, especially the leftovers. I chop everything up, fry it in a pan and make killer spring rolls the next day. (Picture attached) Service is usually poor (for American standards), but I’ve had much worse service when traveling abroad. So I understand folk’s complaint here, but I don’t dock them too much for that.

I also see other folk’s reviews complaining about it being expensive, yet give no context as to their expectations or talk in terms of value. The average meal looks to be around $15, and for the authenticity, quality, and quantity, I feel that it’s a good value. The Dac Biet was $40 the last time I was there, and now is $50 but the fact that it feeds 3-4 people and I still have leftovers - it’s still a good value to me.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Every dish we got was amazing! The portions were huge so none of us could finish them- lunch for tomorrow :). The service was attentive. 5 stars yummy

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

My husband has some of his best dining experiences here as a child and brought me to dine. He said it was just as delicious as it always was! I had the seared scallops with lemongrass and he had the clams. They were some of the best dishes we’ve ever had and come to find that they have a passion for fixing traditional Vietnamese after having a fun conversation with the very friendly staff! Great dining experience! Try the iced coffee!! Wow!

Reviewed 1 July 2018

We have been coming here for at least 10 years, our fav's are the Hanoi special and the grilled pork and pork egg roll bowl.

Staff has always been friendly even when the place was packed with a line out the door. For the best experience, eat dinner early or late so the staff can give you their best.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We specifically sought out Vietnamese food and were very disappointed. It felt like the food had been prepped long before we arrived, it didn't feel made to order. The spring rolls were limp and tasteless. The food was dropped with no check back, I had to flag someone down for water . The portions were generous but we didn't take it home. Perhaps we should have aimed for a hole in the wall with authentic homemade food.