All reviewsmuffinsfridgeofficeshowerbeds
Reviewed 18 August 2017

The owner is super nice and friendly. I felt welcome right away. The room was very clean and we had everything we need it. This motel is 10 mins away from the echo canyon place where we did a royal gorge rafting trip. Everything is close by and there is this family French restaurant that made you feel you are in France:) I would definitely recommend and book this motel again.

Room Tip: I think any room would be great.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Radka H
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Such a friendly family. Clean and comfortable. Muffins in the morning. Updated bathrooms. Walking distance to downtown and local restaurants. Very close to Echo Canyon River Expeditions so it's convenient if you have a 9 am trip.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merwp
Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

Great spot. Clean room and friendly staff. Just what you need for a good night's sleep before and early morning raft trip. I stayed in a room away from the highway so I can't say what those rooms are like. Across the street from Waffle Wagon is a big plus too

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank dbc_la
Reviewed 25 July 2016

For a Friday night most of Canon City was already booked up when we decided to stop here for a night before getting to Denver. In fact, this little place also filled up right after we got here. When making the reservations it took a while because we were having communication problems, but we finally got it booked over the phone. Even when we were there, communication was a small challenge. We opted to move to another room because the 1st one was on the HWY and the traffic noise. The second room was better, but you could still hear the traffic at times. The A/C caused enough white noise to distract you somewhat from the traffic. When we moved the owner or manager made sure I understood NO REFUNDS.
The room was NOTHING like the bright room on the internet. The queen bed was OK and adequate at best. The room has a couch and coffee table, but it faced the sink which was in the room rather than the bathroom. The only use for the coffee table was for you to run into when trying to use the sink. The bathroom was small, but served its purpose. I have never seen shampoo with an expiration date before, but this came out of China and was well past its expiration date. The soap was made out of vegetable oil from the same Chinese company and your hands felt slick when you washed them. Must have gotten a great deal on expired items.
The only way to see the TV was from the bed, not the couch and then at a distance of 15+ feet for a small fat screen. Everything was very clean so we survived.
When I tried to get ice, they do not have an ice maker, but have a fridge in the lobby with ice buckets made up. I tried to break the ice and was unable to do it. It was a small ball of small cubes melted together. The manager took a bat from under the lobby desk and broke it up. This was new experience for me, but we got smaller chunks of ice.
It is hard to believe this small room can generate $1,800 a month and for us it is one stay and out.

Room Tip: Try from a room away from HWY 50 road noise
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank El1Lobo
Reviewed 19 July 2016

My family of 6 just needed a place to stay for the night after white water rafting (kids ages are 6-13 and we always have two sleep on the floor in sleeping bags). I had made reservations on-line through Bookings.com. I thought I had read through everything, and the site for American Inn said "All Children Welcome". We thought we had found a good place to sleep that fit our budget. When we arrived at around 7pm, the owner asked me how many were staying and I told him six. He said we could not do that, that we had only signed up for 2, and that we couldn't stay there. I explained the process I went through with Booking.com and what it had said about kids and he denied it (I have gone back and looked again and it does say all kids welcome). He said that we could not stay there but that we would be charged for the room because it was our mistake. I said that it was not right that I would be charged for a service we couldn't use and he again said too bad, it was our mistake. I told him we didn't have the budget to pay for a room we can't use, and offered other options. Since he said we could only have 4 in the room, I told him that I would sleep in the van with one of our kids so there would only be 4. He was not willing to let us have the room even for four. Luckily his wife came out from back and was at least kind enough to say that they would refund our money if we called Booking.com to cancel (but still no place to stay). It took an hour to get through to Booking.com, but they did let us cancel without paying.

What really was upsetting was that during this 1.5 hour process, one of my daughters, who had been sitting in the car waiting, came in and asked if she could use the restroom. She was told by the owner no and that she needed to go to the gas station across the highway. It was late at night and we were left with no place to stay, but luckily we were able to get a room at Quality Inn down the road and for only a few more dollars we got a really nice room, great service, and a great free breakfast, which we wouldn't have got at American Inn. Things ended up working out, but not before two hours of headache and having to console worried kids. If you are by yourself or a couple looking for a cheap place to sleep, it is probably OK, but if you have a family I would find someplace else that is more family friendly. I would have graded this a 1 if it wasn't for the kindness of the wife that showed a little compassion and let us have our money at least refunded.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family