All reviewsjump pillowhot tubroyal gorgehuge jumping pillowpermanent residentsgreat cabinfront officecamp storetop bunkbunk bedsvacation plansslept greatmemorial day weekendenjoyed our staywhite water raftingnice poolmike
Reviewed 9 August 2016

Last year we visited in May and were thoroughly impressed with the direction the new owners were taking this park (see review titled "Best Family Camping in the Royal Gorge Region"). Unfortunately, this year we noticed some things that have prompted us to re-characterize the direction the park is heading.

Let's start with this year's new front desk manager, who misinformed us twice. First, she told my wife just days before check-in that the pool was heated. The pool was FREEZING. Our four year and two year old boys wouldn't go in, and it was 90+ degrees outside. Just some adults and older kids were able to tough it out. It sounds like its been an erratic thing, if so, then we should have been told it may or may not be working. Here's the thing; a heated pool is often the deciding factor on choosing a place for us. Big letdown.

Secondly, the manager confirmed when making our reservation that we could surface drain our gray tank due to the site (no. 60, water/electric) not having any other sites below it. I'll admit, most campgrounds don't allow this, but some do, which is why we always ask first. Fast forward to the day of our arrival, and Mike (owner) let me know that surface draining gray tanks is not allowed on any of their sites - PERIOD! Luckily, he got us into a full hookup site on the spot due to a no-show. Just seemed like a critical item for the owner and manager to not be on the same page.

Also, the manager's attitude in general didn't sit well with us. For example, I witnessed an unpleasant phone exchange in which she was talking down pretty bad to one of her kids, and upon hanging up, in exasperation looked at me and said, "teenagers". I got the feeling she was looking for some kind of acknowledgement from me, but I actually felt worse for the kid. Bottom line - the role of front desk manager requires a minimum amount of professionalism that is missing with her.

There was a sign that said "adults only" for the hot-tub, but there was no enforcement by the parents or staff, except a half-hearted attempt by a 20-something female, who appeared too intoxicated (more about alcohol later) to form a coherent sentence, much less persuade the kids to leave the hot tub.

Some of the permanent resident or camp-worker sites are truly eyesores, complete with makeshift tarp structures flapping in the wind, and miscellaneous junk lying around.

Right in front of our camp, a little girl with her leashed dog started freaking out when a larger off-leash dog approached her. The large dog was from a permanent resident campsite (it didn't attack, just scared the bejesus out of her). Also, other dogs were seen wandering the campground unleashed, though no other altercations were noticed.

Noticed several kids at the playground who were by themselves for extended periods, in that borderline age range of being able to take care of themselves. Problem is, some appeared disheveled to the point of raising concern for the level of care provided by their parents. Ultimately, we felt bad for these kids.

This review wouldn't be complete without mentioning the FULLY stocked beer and hard liquor section of the camp store. While that may be a positive for some, we think "family campground" and "enough alcohol to supply a 500 person wedding" are at odds with each other. As expected, there was a noticeable amount of campers (whether permanent or weekenders) that seem to "appreciate" the ample on-site liquor supply while hanging out in front of the camp store.

Love that jumping pillow, but going forward we are likely to give other campgrounds in the area a chance to earn our business. We will keep monitoring reviews of Prospectors to see if things change, solely due to the awesome potential of this place.

1  Thank Clint K
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

This location seems to be a place where people stay year round or at least for the entire season. Several "permanent" residents. The hosts were very helpful in finding a good spot for us and our RV.

Bathrooms acceptable. Good pool with nice pool area seating. Big "bounce pad " which is great for the kids - like a trampoline but not as springy. Large playground area. Very close to the turnoff for Royal Gorge.

Checkout 11AM. No generators 10PM to 7AM. Cancellation policy – 2 weeks before arrival, but will be charged $25 anyway. If cancelled within that time, will be charged for stay.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

Great first impression. Phone reservation with Owner. He was very pleasant and offered me #17, which is a wide, pull-through, full hookup site. We were staying for 4 days. Things went downhill once I actually checked in. The woman decided to downgrade us to another location once she looked at our rig. She didn't give a reason why she was changing us. I was insulted and found this very suspect. Why would I want to change? I trusted the owner's choice of #17 and paid the bill much to her dismay.
Nothing ruins a first impression faster than an employee who cops a derogatory "ma'am" attitude. No amount of "raised that way" will fix her bad attitude. The older I get, the easier it is to recognize the difference. I didn't go in the store again.

LOCALS hangout and use the pool and patio area in front of the store. For guests, it is a real negative and offensive. They are all probably nice people but I just don't like being soaked by a grown man assaulting everyone with his squirt gun that enters the pool area. I hope the owner reads these reviews and comes up with a better plan to correct this. These people are not friends if they are chasing away your business. Children behave better.

POOL-DANGEROUSLY COLD, according to previous reviews and what an employee/locals shared, the heat has been OFF the last two weeks and on/off for a year. It is freezing!!! SPLASH PAD has a sign-CLOSED. Doesn't look like it has worked in a long time. HOT TUB-hot but murky. Playground needed raked and picked up. PLAYGROUND/GYM and JUMP PILLOW was a HIT! Play area needs sturdy seating for parents. A broken plastic bench and 2 cracked chairs is cheap! GAME ROOM was far away from the play area and store. Good for parties and older kids.

The pool and splash pad were the amenities we expected to work. It's outrageous to expect guests to swim in freezing water.

RV SITES are NOT LEVEL. Some sites are very steep and hard to get into. A handful are pull-through and many of those sites are taken by LOCAL residents. Long RV's and 5th wheels will find this park challenging. Hook ups are fine. The map and youtube videos do not show the elevation changes. I saw several campers leave after seeing their reserved sites. Lots of TENT CAMPSITES mixed in with locals. I don't know what is going on in the tent area except it is junky. CABIN had mattresses on the front porch.

DOGS were not a problem. SAFETY/SECURITY was never a concern. It is WINDY.

This was our experience staying at Prospector's. We were in a motorhome with a tow. Highlights are #17, the jumping pillow and the evening sky.

1  Thank CharlesCarroll80210
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

Rent a cabin. Go rafting. Stay a few days and hang out at the pool and relax during your vacation while the kids run around their large property and use the game room, bounce pillow, and bring your bicycles and frisbees for their disc golf course.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
ProspectorsRVResort, Manager at Prospectors RV Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2016

Cris,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your stay here at Prospectors!

We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the family-friendly atmosphere at our park!
We're proud to be able to offer plenty of options for every family member to enjoy.

It was a pleasure hosting you and your family. We look forward to the opportunity to have you as guests at our park again!

Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

I was referred to this campground by a local rafting company. No one was at the office when we arrived at 5:00pm which is fine...I understand it's Sunday and sometimes people need a break. Upon arriving we were greeted with multiple mid aged adults drinking and appear to actually live here. Splash pad was obviously clogged and run down, therefore closed. Did not feel safe upon arriving so we made the loop and left! Time wasted, go somewhere else!

1  Thank Amber E