All reviewsrainbow cakecellrockieswifilodge
Reviewed 27 October 2015 via mobile

My daughter and I were lucky to book a last minute weekend at Rainbow Lake Resort. I understand why people keeps visiting this place year after year. The road that takes you to the resort is pretty and far enough out of town that you're close enough if you forgot something or want to eat dinner in Buena Vista. The hosts are super friendly and very knowledgeable. The small 1 room cabin was very clean and came with everything we would need. My daughter felt very safe and really enjoyed the view overlooking the lake. We can't wait to visit next season!

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank nicolemel
Reviewed 4 August 2015 via mobile

Rainbow Lake Resort is not to be missed. Even if you are not an avid outdoorsman this resort will make you consider becoming one. Cabin options range from rustic with minimal conveniences to more of a modern experience with no "roughing it" included. All cabins and lodge rooms have power and indoor plumbing on a septic system with basic kitchen appliances included. Lodge rooms are more like a hotel room. Cabins include towels, soap,toilet paper and kitchens have utensils for eating and cooking provided. You will need to bring paper towels, napkins and of course food you wish to prepare. The resort has a gift shop you can buy some basics like paper towels,snacks or other simple food items. They also have fishing supplies that tend to work in the private lake. Which brings me to the lake. Rainbow lake is very accessible all around with benches placed strategically for comfort and spectacular views. Fishing this year was better than years past which kept my kid more engaged. Book early to get your preferred dates. Good fishing or not this is worth your time and travel dollars. Phones work on the resort but if you want wifi and television,this may not be for you. If you tire of hiking,fishing,reading a book or watching hummingbirds there are horse rides right down the road and Buena Vista isn't far off if you prefer to go out for meals. There's also a drive in theater minutes away too. Everything you could want to do- it's all right here.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2015

My Mom used to come here as a child. For the past 9 years we have been meeting my family from Texas here for a little family reunion. This place is absolutely magical. It is one of my favorite places on earth. No T.V. Extremely limited phone reception. Just nature at its finest. Very rustic -- not luxurious. But you won't care. I'm a four-star hotel kind of girl. But leaving here was down-right depressing. We've added a fifth night for our next trip. Perhaps we will just live here one day. :-)

Room Tip: If you are looking for less rustic accommodations I would suggest you stay in the recently-built (2007) lodge rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2015

This resort has been operating since 1906. There are older cabins and newer cabins. We stayed in a two bedroom cabin behind the lodge face. It is clean, modesty priced with a porch that you can view the night sky and overlook the small trout lake. Bring your rods and reels and lures and fish your day away. No swimming but plenty of places to hike. Make your own meals in the small kitchen with microwave, refrigerator and stove or go into town. The local grocery store has ample supplies to make your meals a happy event. Bring board games and the grandkids. This is not commercialized but a quaint lovely place to have fun with your loved ones. Patricia and Rocky, the current caretakers, are warm and generous hosts. The other guests are nature loving individuals, many who have been coming for years upon years. The night skies sparkle with the stars that most places block out by ambient lighting. Enjoy this return to nature!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We have been staying here since 1989. We live in the Denver Metro area and love fishing and hiking. This place is a great place to hide away, fish, have peace and quiet and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. In fact, this place is less money than the Super 8 and or Best Western hotel in town. It is bare bones though. Bring your own condiments, paper towels, etc. Some of the cabins are quite rustic while some of the cabins are newer. They stock the lake monthly and I really wish it was a catch and release lake. I think they have so many returning folks from out of state that they are used to keeping the trout. The property is very well managed, the fees for use of the row boats cheap beyond cheap and the water, eggs, etc that you may need, very reasonable. The town is only. Eight miles away but you feel secluded for the world. Hummingbirds galore! We love this place!

Room Tip: Depends if you want a fireplace, a view, etc. I would suggest booking nine months in advance
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple