“Don't count on walk-up sites... questionable reservations...”

Collegiate Peaks Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Collegiate Peaks Campground
Reviewed 13 July 2016

I arrived at 2:30 p.m. on a recent Friday, and although there were allegedly 14 walk-up sites available as of the previous day, ALL of them were tagged as reserved, even though only 3-4 had gear there. So that means that 10-11 parties arrived, paid their fee, marked the sites as reserved, and left without unloading any gear. Within half an hour of the check-in time. Yeah, right. Seems pretty suspicious, and the "host" was nowhere to be found.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 September 2015

My 15 y/o son and I really enjoyed our 2-night stay here in Aug 2015. There were lots of sites to choose from & it's a bit more remote than some of the others nearby, yet still close to BV and many things to do in the area. Highly recommend this campground. We were in site #7 which was large & good. Primo site appears to be #G which is right next to the creek and a bit more tucked away. Next time. :)

Room Tip: We were in site #7 which was large & good. Primo site appears to be #G which is right next to th...
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2015

We did not reserve a campsite, but had no problem finding a spot and setting up. The facilities were clean, campsite was beautiful and most importantly, close to the trailhead for Mt. Yale. We had a great time and would for sure go back to the site. Super beautiful with all the aspen trees and creek nearby.

Read about it at KailainTheWorld.com

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank kailaintheworld
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

If you are considering this campground there are definitely pros and cons. It is ideally located to several trailheads into the national forest. But the campground has problems. When we were camping in August of 2015 one (of two) water pumps was broken. So one pump served about 50 camp sites. Plus, the water that came out of that pump was disgusting. It tasted and smelled like rust AND it actually had particles that appears to be rust in it. After the first day we could not stomach the taste and just filtered water from the river. We stayed for 5 nights and the campground host only bothered to sweep out the toilets once. Almost ran out of toilet paper too. Look, I don't expect luxury at a campground but for $20 a night I want water and reliable toilet paper. I've stayed at USFS campgrounds before and they are much more well kept than this one.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Macbe
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

I camped here with my daughter's and one of my daughter's friends and it was absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately the male camp host was the rudest host I have ever come across, and we go camping a lot! My daughter's and I walked down to the river that runs by the campground to go fishing and there were a group of campers by the river that had all of their dogs running loose. My youngest daughter and her friend were ahead of me and my older daughter and a few of the adult female campers stopped my daughter and her friend when their loose dogs ran up to them and told the girls they needed to keep walking and don't walk by their campsite again. When my older daughter and I walked by they told us the same thing and said we were upsetting their dogs. I ignored them and we went and fished (there were multiple other people walking the trail as well). On the way back one of the women at the campsite got up in my daughter's face like she wanted to fight and I told them to back off and we kept going. They went and complained to the camp host that we were going through their campsite and wouldnt stop. The camp "host" and his wife came to our site and the camp host said we were rude for going through other people's campsites and we better not do it again. I tried explaining that we were just walking the trail next to the creek, not going through their site, but he wouldn't let me speak. I then tried asking where we could go to get to the river and he wouldn't answer he just kept saying we were rude. I would love to go back to this gorgeous campground again, however I will not be back if the same "host" is there.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family