“Run down, even for camping”

Collegiate Peaks Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Collegiate Peaks Campground
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

If you are considering this campground there are definitely pros and cons. It is ideally located to several trailheads into the national forest. But the campground has problems. When we were camping in August of 2015 one (of two) water pumps was broken. So one pump served about 50 camp sites. Plus, the water that came out of that pump was disgusting. It tasted and smelled like rust AND it actually had particles that appears to be rust in it. After the first day we could not stomach the taste and just filtered water from the river. We stayed for 5 nights and the campground host only bothered to sweep out the toilets once. Almost ran out of toilet paper too. Look, I don't expect luxury at a campground but for $20 a night I want water and reliable toilet paper. I've stayed at USFS campgrounds before and they are much more well kept than this one.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Macbe

Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

I camped here with my daughter's and one of my daughter's friends and it was absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately the male camp host was the rudest host I have ever come across, and we go camping a lot! My daughter's and I walked down to the river that runs by the campground to go fishing and there were a group of campers by the river that had all of their dogs running loose. My youngest daughter and her friend were ahead of me and my older daughter and a few of the adult female campers stopped my daughter and her friend when their loose dogs ran up to them and told the girls they needed to keep walking and don't walk by their campsite again. When my older daughter and I walked by they told us the same thing and said we were upsetting their dogs. I ignored them and we went and fished (there were multiple other people walking the trail as well). On the way back one of the women at the campsite got up in my daughter's face like she wanted to fight and I told them to back off and we kept going. They went and complained to the camp host that we were going through their campsite and wouldnt stop. The camp "host" and his wife came to our site and the camp host said we were rude for going through other people's campsites and we better not do it again. I tried explaining that we were just walking the trail next to the creek, not going through their site, but he wouldn't let me speak. I then tried asking where we could go to get to the river and he wouldn't answer he just kept saying we were rude. I would love to go back to this gorgeous campground again, however I will not be back if the same "host" is there.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank deniseandrea33
Reviewed 7 August 2015

Definitely would stay here again. Typical USFS campground, so don't expect luxury. trees, shade, scenic, nice creek. mix of tents, campers, and small RVs. close enough to town if you need supplies. Also there is a public shower in downtown BV at the whitewater park.

Room Tip: Reservations are encouraged.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2015

This is a typical USFS campground with nicely designed campsites that offer some seclusion and a lot of pine trees. The campsite are close to the creek and only a short distance from the trailhead to Mount Yale and to Princeton Hot Springs. A nice basic campground.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2015

Was looking for a campground near Buena Vista and read the other 2 reviews, expecting something nice. I thought this campground was camper on top of camper. Sites were too close together. Looked a bit run down. Glad we checked it out before making a reservation.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family