See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 July 2015

This is a typical USFS campground with nicely designed campsites that offer some seclusion and a lot of pine trees. The campsite are close to the creek and only a short distance from the trailhead to Mount Yale and to Princeton Hot Springs. A nice basic campground.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2015

Was looking for a campground near Buena Vista and read the other 2 reviews, expecting something nice. I thought this campground was camper on top of camper. Sites were too close together. Looked a bit run down. Glad we checked it out before making a reservation.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracie C
Reviewed 2 June 2015

We stayed here the Saturday night after Labor Day in 2015 and the campgrounds were not very full which made finding a great spot easy. We used this as a base camp while exploring the hot springs and various ghost towns around the BV area. I would highly recommend this camp ground.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay at the Collegiate Peaks Campground. My girlfriend and I stayed in the campground for one night (Sunday-Monday) and really enjoyed the grounds. The campground is located in the shadows of Mount Princeton and a few other 14ners and along the Cottonwood River. It's an easy 2.5 hour from Colorado Springs and I would recommend this campground to everyone.

Positives:
+ Nearby to Buena Vista for any food runs or for exploring.
+ The sounds of the river are amazing. The water was fun to walk in and there is awesome bridge to cross.
+ It's a nice quiet campground. There might be a ton of people camping but it doesn't feel crowded.
+ Very clean. The attendant keeps everything in order. The bathrooms were clean and maintained.
+ The views of the sunset was amazing.
+ Good wildlife and wildflower viewing.
+ campsites are large and comfy. We stayed in a groove of aspens.

Negatives:
- Lack of trails within walking distance of the campground.
- Having exact change to pay is tough when you are a long adventure.
- The high altitude didnt bug me (I'm a CO native) but 10,000 feet would bug out of state tourists. Make sure to drink plenty of water and take it easy.
- Some pine beetle killed trees around. Makes things dangerous during wildfire season.
- $17 a night is steep.