“Perfection!”

One Ski Hill Place, A RockResort
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We SO loved this property. Upon check-in, the valet immediately took our bags & escorted us to the front desk, where we were offered freshly baked cookies. My husband & I were traveling with another couple, and we stayed in a 3 bedroom / 3 bathroom condo. The condo was clean, spacious & beautifully decorated. The staff at this property are friendly, helpful & efficient. The pool & hot tub areas are beautiful and have an amazing view of the lift area. The property is SO convenient to the lift area. If I ever win the lottery, I would definitely buy at condo at One Ski Hill Place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Had a few days mid-week in Colorado and thought I would take my daughter to experience an on-slope ski hotel. This place was perfect - valet parking, skis delivered to on-slope locker room, hotel located at kind of crossroads of ski area, luxury room - beds, bath, fire place. Didn't use the kitchen at all, but it looked nice. Daughter was very happy with massage. View was spectacular. Can't really comment on rate/value - booked at last minute for very reasonable rate, but I could see those checking in while we were checking out were paying a LOT more.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have the better view and the higher numbers on each floor have the better location
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Admittedly, we visited during off season in late April. We'd never been before, so had no idea that everything would be shut down. That being said, everything advertised and promised was not functioning. Some issues:

1. When there was valet, it was timely. When there wasn't, we parked our own car.
2. Ski slope shut down during the week. We booked Sun-Thurs as we hate weekend crowds not realizing the slope would be closed on the weekend. So no ski in/ski out for us.
3. No concierge. Only a front desk receptionist. This would be fine if we'd been there before, but we wanted opinions on family friendly activities and got those of a 20 year old girl who clearly was not well versed in options.
4. Restaurant and bar were closed, including room service.
5. Inconsistent turn down service and housekeeping. Sometimes it happened, sometimes it didn't. Once asked if we wanted turndown service, said we'd be gone in an hour and they came back 5 hours later asking if we were ready for it.
6. For some reason, the electricity in our guest room was linked to the lights over the bar in the kitchen. If we wanted to turn off the bar lights, all the guest bedroom electricity went out. Not a deal breaker, but odd.
7. The 'rejuvenation center' was the one thing still open. Called to make an appointment and it took 6 hours to hear back from someone. Again, not a deal breaker, but annoying when combined with everyone else.
8. Kid park closed. This was a huge attractor for us as I have an 18 month old that'd love it. Closed, closed, closed.

Overall, it was very clear that 'off season' means unimportant. The one thing that was good was that the 2 bedroom condo was gorgeous. However, we paid money for all of the amenities. We could've paid half price and stayed in just as nice of a condo or home....and it would've been the same experience with no ski in/out, room service, bar, restaurant, etc. Very rarely do I feel like a hotel/resort owes me money, but that's how I feel in this case. WAY overpriced for what we received. Customer service is key and One Ski Hill is not a top tier resort by any stretch of the imagination.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DeLynn M
OSHPandCPLManager, Front Office Manager at One Ski Hill Place, A RockResort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Thank you DeLynn M for your review.

Unfortunately the period you chose to visit us is actually after the mountain closed for regular operations. Typically during this time Breckenridge Ski Resort is not open, but this year the mountain made the unprecedented decision to stay open a couple extra weekends at the end of the season. Many of our employees are seasonal and had already made family or job commitments after April 15th the original closing day. I am sorry that you had a less then satisfactory experience, but I think you would be very impressed with our service and our property during our typical operations.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Chris

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Overall, it's hard to beat the location of this resort, however, not all views are the same nor is the staff overly concerned with detail. It just so happened that I spent the New Years and following week skiing and due to a power outage, I went a day without electricity. The backup generators only left a glow ( approx. 4 hours) to the hall ways and stairs. Without going into detail, the resort was NOT prepared for a full house of guests and no way to light, feed, get info to or generally take care of basic needs. To top matters off, they had no compensation package to those of us with no way down the mountain. At a grand a night!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Loki5654
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed at One Ski Hill over the Christmas to New Year's week with my wife and three daughters. I have to say that the location is superb and the property is beautiful. However, for the price there are many other premiuim ski-in/ski-out properties that I prefer at Vail, Big Sky, Telluride, Snowbird, Jackson Hole, and Steamboat.
My main issue with the property is that it doesn't have adequate nighttime dining facilities. The "Living Room" (the on-site restaurant) barely has the capacity to serve five or so tables. Otherwise you have to trek downtown for dinner. For the price, it shouldn't be a hassle to have dinner each night. On the positive side the skiers cafeteria is convenient for lunch.
The property seems to be poorly organized and/or managed. I don't blame the staff. In fact, everyone was very pleasant. Getting my rental car in and out of the garage was a breeze, the weekday concierge was a huge help setting up dinner reservations downtown, the front desk staff was efficient in dealing with problems, housekeeping tried their best with smiles on their faces, and the bartender was very helpful when we did order dinner while sitting at the bar or in front of the fireplace (my recommended approach to dinner in The Living Room).
Here are some of my negative experiences. First, they checked us into a unit that was occupied by the owner. They eventually found a smaller unit for us. The front desk gave us a discount coupon for the Living Room that had expired five days earlier. There was no safe in our unit although every unit was to have one. The housekeeping staff visited us at the end of the ski day when we were in rather than during the day when we were on the mountain. The water was cold everytime I took a shower. When we lost power (due to a wind storm) there were no emergency lights in the stairwells! It's the details that make for a good experience.
My conclusion is that while the location is magnificent and the property is beautiful the experience was not what I expected for the price. I like Breck. The next time I visit I'll try one of the new properties at the base of Peak 7.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Brian B
OSHPandCPLManager, Front Office Manager at One Ski Hill Place, A RockResort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Thank you Brian B for your review of our property.

I apologize that you feel our property is poor in value. The holiday period that you stayed with us is one of the busiest times of year for Breckenridge, which means it tends to be more expensive for accommodations in town as a whole. I appreciate the feedback on how we can improve some of the areas that you felt were lacking.

In regards to nighttime dining activity on property, The Living Room and room service are the only on site, but Sevens Restaurant is a short distance up the road at the base of Peak 7. We do also provide a complimentary shuttle service that can take you anywhere in town you would like to go whether it be for dinner, drinks, or other activities. There are also long term plans to expand our amenities at the base of Peak 8.

We are very sorry for the lack of lighting in the stairwells after the town wide power outage. We actually do have an emergency light system in the stairwells, but the power was out for such an extended period of time that the back up batteries actually ran out. Since we are still a relatively new property we were unaware of this deficiency. Once we did figure out the problem we had employees stationed on floors with flashlights to assist guests as well as some extra lighting we were able to find. Since then we have taken steps to keep these areas safely lit if an unforeseen incident like this were to occur again.

Thank you again for review.

Chris