“Best hotel in Napa”

Cross street: Finnel Street
San Francisco, California
“Best hotel in Napa”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Liked:
- modern
- staff accommodating
- environmentally friendly (LEED platinum certified)
- concierge booked our French Laundry reservations successfully!

Dislike
- price (could be a little cheaper)

Visited December 2011

“Don't go here!”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Very disappointed! Felt like a fast food restaurant for a 65.00 meal! I had to ask several times for our server. He was more interested in the young couple next to us. Finally asked another server if we could possibly have some more water. I wanted to get up and get it myself but my wife would not let me. his place is way overrated!

Kent, United Kingdom
“A shame the food wasn't up to the same standard as the waiting staff”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We had the Sunday dinner tasting menu, which on the face of it seemed good. However the squash and apple soup had an over-powering flavour of sweet, dessert apples and the next course of cod was wet, slippery, undercooked and over salted. The remainder of the food was good, though the was very little of it.
They tried to make-up for the undercooked fish with a complimentary thimble full of dessert wine but this arrived very late and failed in its mission.
The table staff were very good, attentive and friendly.
We spent around $170 incl. wine and gratuity (to recognise the service) so not a fortune but still disappointing.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank mrrobgardner
San Francisco, California
“Great service, playful menu!”
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We did a Sunday night 4 course meal ($45 without the wine pairings), and I must say that it was divine, and unexpected. At fine dining restaurants, I always try to order something outside my comfort zone. My estimation is that a talented chef can find angles on all foods that will connect with even the most skeptical of palettes. But in this situation, I have to admit I was daunted.... I am not a overzealous fan of Tomato, but this mid September Sunday night, we had hit the Tomato-Fest Tomatoville Sunday supper. I admit, I was not thrilled....

...Until the first course came out. Then the 2nd, 3rd, and so on. It was delicious, and the sous-chef outdid herself with a playful, delightful menu that danced across the palette. First course was a Garden Tomato Gazpacho with fried Lucy's pardon peppers that provided the right amount of heat on this stunning late summer dusk. 2nd was an Alaskan Halibut with Lucy's rhubarb-tomato compote, forni brown asian greens - light and perfectly balanced with acidic complexity. 3rd was a Don Watson Milk-fed Lamb, with bacon roasted fingerlings, bloomsdale spinach, and tomato and mushroom reduction. Final course was a Tomato Bread Pudding with a tomato strawberry sorbet. This final dish shocked me.... it was so savory and sweet at the same time! I really enjoyed it.

At these prices, you can't go wrong whether staying at a different property, or staying at Bardessono. What's more, the wine pairings are generous, fitting, with an appropriate splash of creativity and thoughtfulness. I think it might be a necessity to add it alongside the meal. Whatever you do... enjoy yourself, and don't hesitate to order something a la carte so you get to try more of the menu. You won't be slapping your belly, but you will be satiated... a perfect balance of an exceptional meal across the board, on all counts! Thanks!

Visited September 2011
Santa Monica, California
“Excellent Service - Better Food!”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We "won" two nights at the Bardessono and a meal in their restaurant via a silent auction at a fundraiser in L.A.

The hotel is simply wonderful - read all the other reviews for details - I don't need to go into it here - suffice to say it is the best hotel in the Napa Valley and leave it at that.

But, from the restaurant, I was expecting very little - I thought that Bottega would be the winner this trip and I was so mistaken. Bottega is vin ordinaire (and reminds me of being in a Claim Jumper. That "polenta-under-glass" is just goo!) while the 6-course chef's tasting (w/ wine pairing) at the Bardessono was absolute perfection.

I don't say that often - as it rarely occurs.

Everything the chef did was right - flavors, textures, flights of imagination - all were spot on and remarkably successful and the wine pairings were simply inspired. Shellfish and vegetables combined to stunning effect - even the prosaic duck breast was cooked to perfection and was packed with flavors.

The chef at Redd attempted some far-flung ideas when we were there last year but fell short on all of them. At Redd, the ideas were so ambitious that I had to admire the moxy - but none paid off. At the Bardessono - all the ideas came through - execution is as important as ideas - someone back there is inspired.

Finally, our waiter Mike was one of the most charming and knowledgeable we have ever encountered - in the Napa Valley or otherwise. He knows every vineyard - every wine - and can talk food like no other. He is a remarkable asset to that restaurant.

• Visited May 2011