All reviews great bed room was clean comfortable stay waffles hot breakfast convenient location staff was friendly overflow facility
Reviewed 4 August 2018

On July 27th, my husband and I were driving home from Portland, OR to Northern, CA. Due to multiple fires reported on our route home, we were not sure if we would be able to make it home due to various road closures. Since it was after 10pm and all area hotels were completely booked, and were were very stressed due to new fires developing close to home, we were happy to find Quality Inn and Suites in Woodland had availability. I called the hotel and the girl at the front desk was rude and told me she was with a customer and to book online but to hurry up since they had limited rooms available. I hung up and booked the room online. Once I received the email confirmation and saw they did not accept pets, I immediately called the headquarters to cancel the room so we could free up the room for someone else as we were traveling with both a new puppy and a 80 lb dog. Headquarters told me they could not cancel since it was within the 24 hour period - granted I had only booked it minutes before! They advised me to call the hotel direct, so I did. The girl told me the manager was the only one with authorization and to call back the next day between 2:00-6:00. I called during that time and a new girl, who was quite rude, told me that the manager never works on weekends and to call back on Monday. I called on Monday and spoke with a gentleman who told me the manager Bhavini is hardly ever there and that the staff can never reach them directly. What is the purpose of a manager if they are never there and their staff cannot reach them? I left a message with the gentleman and told him I expected a return call by the end of the day. 4 days later I am still waiting for a call back. My husband and our families stay very often in the Woodland area but I will NEVER stay at Quality Inn & Suites in Woodland, CA or any Choice Hotels ever because of this experience!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristin K
QualityInnWoodland, Front Desk at Quality Inn & Suites Woodland - Sacramento Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Dear Kristin,

I am very sorry that you had a negative experience with us, but unfortunately by our policy what occurred was the only outcome possible. I realize that this will be received as an unwelcome response, so I will do my best to explain our position on the matter.

Firstly, I would like to apologize that you received curt responses from our staff over the phone. That behavior is certainly not appropriate and I will be sure to communicate that concern to our General Manager. However, in point of fact the first agent you spoke to was correct, as it is very likely in that situation that the last room would have sold out before she became available to assist you personally. I suppose that would have avoided this error, but she could not have been aware of that at the time.

As to the core problem, our policies simply do not allow us to provide you with a favorable outcome. When a room is reserved online, it is removed from our inventory of available rooms and reversing that is not an immediate process. By that time, we were also nearing the point in which reserving a room in advance was no longer possible, so anyone attempting to reserve a room after you would have had a very limited window with which to do so.

Incidentally, your reservation was also a smoking room with only a single bed, which also limits the available group of people who would have been able to book a stay. Anyone travelling with family would have been forced to find lodging elsewhere and there are many who would decide to take their chances further down the freeway rather than to accept a smoking room. Even on the busiest nights it is not guaranteed that a guest meeting all of those criteria would arrive without an advance booking and hotel management does not permit us to accept that risk.

We display as clearly as possible that we do not accept pets. We are not able to control the presentation of our policies on the various travel websites, but nearly all do provide that detail in some way. On the Choice Hotels website in particular it is listed twice - in our list of available amenities and also in the disclosure of hotel policy. It is also mentioned again on the screen that is displayed at the time when a guest would be asked to confirm their reservation. For last-minute booking that is the final opportunity to back out of a reservation before it becomes non-refundable; cancellation is only an option for reservations that have been made 24 hours or more in advance.

Perhaps it is different at hotels in other areas, but in Woodland the acceptance of pets is an exception, rather than the norm. My own knowledge in that area is not comprehensive, but I am aware of more hotels that do not allow pets in comparison with ones that do. I understand that the changing nature of your plans did not allow for you to research this properly, but it is still very necessary to confirm in advance whether or not a hotel will be able to accommodate your needs.

I am the final person who you mentioned speaking to in your review. As I explained at that time, our management does not work regularly from this location and it is not always possible to reach them for a timely response. I was not aware of this until the day after our conversation, but in particular to this situation I was unable to reach her because she was away on business, from which she has now only just returned.

This hotel is operated by a full-time office staff and we have a complete range of policies and procedures to handle nearly every possible scenario that might occur. As a result, it is not usually necessary for management to provide direct instruction for this type of situation, as I hopefully have been able to demonstrate here. Speaking personally, I would have liked for her to have contacted you regardless as a courtesy, but it would not have altered the outcome. I can't imagine that she would have agreed to violate the hotel's reservation policy in this case.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the unpleasant nature of your dealings with us. My hope is that at least I have been able to adequately explain why we are not permitted to provide a resolution that is more favorable for you.

I wish you well in your future travels.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

Quality Inn and Suites in Woodland, California is the worst hotel we have ever been. We booked this hotel three months in advance for two separate stays. We stayed two nights for the first stay, then traveled to somewhere else for an overnight trip, and then returned to the same hotel for one night for the second stay. When we checked in for the second stay, the desk clerk told us that someone canceled our reservation because we had booked it with cash. This was a lie. They already had our credit card information from our first stay, and how could we book the hotel room with cash online? I asked her who canceled my reservation. Her answer was that she could not tell us. When I showed her my reservation confirmation number, she said that she had one room left. She even charged us more than we were supposed to pay.

When we walked into the room, we saw the room that had one small bed. The clerk charged us the price of two beds, but she gave us the room with one small bed. We went back to the front desk and told the clerk about the room. Instead of apologizing, she said angrily, “If you do not like the room, you can leave and find another hotel!” She even threatened to call the police to charge us for trespassing. We were completely shocked that she would say that to customers.

The customer service is horrible in this hotel. The desk clerk was rude, and the way she treated us was outrageous. We could not contact the manager, so the next day we called Choice Hotels, and they said they notified the hotel manager about the issue. However, the manager never called us nor emailed us. The management of this hotel is terrible!

I would not recommend anyone to stay in Quality Inn in Woodland, California. They shouldn’t have cancelled our reservation, which we booked directly through Choice Hotels (not “cash” like the desk clerk claimed), then gave us a smaller room than we paid for, and then threatened to call the police on us when we complained. Stay far away from this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
QualityInnWoodland, Front Desk at Quality Inn & Suites Woodland - Sacramento Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

I apologize that you had a bad experience while staying with us. However, I gather from your review that there has been some misunderstanding as to what actually happened to your reservation, so I have reviewed the situation again in order to provide a more complete explanation.

I am the desk agent who initially handled this, so I have a bit more first-hand information about that. It appears that your two reservations were made separately and we did not receive proper payment details for the second one. The reason behind this is not shown in our records, but in any case we are not permitted to hold rooms without a confirmed guarantee by credit card. The card number on file for your previous stay is encrypted, so that was not available. We are also prohibited from transferring payment details from one account to another in order to reduce the risk of credit card fraud, so I could not have used that even if it were accessible to me.

I attempted to contact you by phone as soon as the problem was discovered, but you were not reachable. I allowed several hours past the usual deadline for you to respond, since I was unsure as to what exactly had happened, but that did not work either. You were completely unreachable until your arrival for check-in at nearly 11:00 PM, which is unfortunately far too long for us to keep a room on reserve without proof of payment.

Incidentally, "cash received" is our system's payment setting for rooms booked without a credit card. We do not normally accept reservations in that way, so the agent responsible for check-in had likely never seen it before. That option assumes that an advance cash payment has been given rather than a card number, but in your case that had clearly not happened. It is the default setting for any reservation without a credit card on file, which is what caused that be associated with your account.

Your original rate agreement was rendered void along with the reservation, since we were not able to confirm your payment details. Late arrivals are often subject to a rate increase based on the local demand, which resulted in a higher rate that what you were expecting. However, our records show that you were charged correctly for the room that you were given. It is entirely by coincidence that the rate of a single room had become equal to that of your original rate for a double room. The rate for a room with two beds would have also increased by a comparable amount, had that still been available. Our desk agents do not make any rate decisions on their own, so she would have charged based on what was listed in the computer at the time.

According to our office logs, the agent on duty felt that your reaction to the circumstances was unreasonably loud and she feared that you would awaken our other guests who were sleeping in rooms directly above the office. It would have been preferable for her to have given a more precise explanation as to which of our rules you were violating, but if you were indeed shouting then her overall reaction was appropriate. We do not permit any loud behavior on the premises after hours, regardless of the reason. I'm sure that she would have been happy to provide assistance again once you took the time to cool down.

Again, I am very sorry that your time with us was unsatisfactory, although I hope that I have been able to provide a bit more context from our side of the situation. I also hope that this was an isolated incident and that the rest of your journey was safe and pleasant.

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This is a convenient place to stay especially if you have an early flight out of Sacramento. Hubby drops me off at airport, then he can go back and enjoy a nice breakfast. They do have a shuttle but there is a fee. The price is right if you need a comfortable overnight.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
QualityInnWoodland, Front Desk at Quality Inn & Suites Woodland - Sacramento Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2018

Thank you very much for your nice comments. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate your travel needs.

Reviewed 29 June 2018

Reserved room for an early morning departure from Sacramento International Airport and a late arrival on the return. Very convenient access to I-5 and local amenities. Staff was efficient and courteous from initial reservation to early morning check-in on return. Room was standard for the price - clean and property appeared well maintained. Parking issue with late arrival but convenient overflow in adjacent Denny's. Will return when/if flight arrangements require.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback. Fortunately the parking trouble you mentioned is a very infrequent occurrence. I certainly apologize that it caused an inconvenience during your stay, but I'm glad that you were able to manage around that without significant difficulty. It's nice to hear that we were able to make the rest of your stay a pleasant one and we look forward to seeing you again next time!

Reviewed 16 June 2018

but you get what you pay for. I had stayed at the Fairfileld Marriott, which was about $80 more, but decided to go easier on the budget. The rooms had the door to the outside (not a hallway), and the furnishings were a few levels lower, but acceptable. Instead of a free shuttle to the airport, they arranged a cab for $30, so now it is $50 more expensive. Still, there was value, it was clean and quiet, and worked out fine.

Stayed: June 2018
QualityInnWoodland, Front Desk at Quality Inn & Suites Woodland - Sacramento Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

I will say that your description aligns fairly accurately with our goals as a business. We balance ourselves between the higher-end variety of hotel that you mentioned and the no-frills accommodations of a budget motel. I am glad that you found us to be suitable for your needs.

We actually do provide shuttle service, with a surcharge that is comparable to what you paid in cab fare. Our staff likely suggested a taxi because it was able to reach the airport more quickly in your particular circumstance. It sounds like that worked well for you, so I'm glad that they decided to recommend that option.

We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your travels.