“Excellent meal”

The Napa Tavern
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Thousand Oaks Blvd.
Transit: There is a bus stop right on the corner of Thousand Oaks and Westlake Blvd.
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Ate here tonight on a whim....and we were happy we did. Food was excellent, lots of choices, nice wine list, and some very interesting specials. They also have a tapas menu, so all in all something that will certainly please everyone. Service was prompt and attentive.
Highly recommended.

1  Thank regalaone

Reviewed 1 February 2012

After months of discussions, scheduling, and reassurance, we booked a reception for 60+ people for our Son's Bar Mitzvah. We were assured that The Napa Grill and it's staff can accommodate our affair, and that they "Do tons of receptions."

However, when the day came it was a DISASTER! They were completely unprepared, and the excuses came one after the other. We were to have had a buffet luncheon, with salads, three pastas, pizzas, bread, wine, soft drinks and desert.

When we got there we were told that the salads would be brought out, "because plating the salads would be a better presentation." So, we played along. The salads took 40+ minutes to get out and to our last guests. The guests did not have a choice of dressing, and at this point did not have drinks, water, or bread. I had to assist serving, because there was only one waitress working our area. It seems that there was an "unanticipated rush" in the restaurant so they pulled our assigned servers leaving only one poor gal, the Manager and some other guy that I only saw three times, to cover our 60+ guests.

At this point our guest were asking for drinks, and they were told they cold only have soft drinks, pay for their own drinks. HOWEVER, we were to have two wine choices as part of our agreement with our Coordinator. Can you believe that the guest were told this, and how embarrassed we were to find this out the next day.

When the pasta bar was finally ready, it was over an hour into the lunch. Pizza were being ordered and brought out, however, they were personal pizzas and one at a time. Yes, one at a time. That was the same sequence with just about everything. If someone wanted coffee then one cup cup was brought out. Then came the cream if it was needed. NOT a platter of cups and a pot, but individual cups.

Finally when the desert came and that too was another pig screw! You would think that during the 1/2 hour candle lighting ceremony they would be getting these deserts out, but nope! I had to get that going after the ceremony. Again, some guests were leaving before the rest even got their desert. This was a train wreck that was completely out of control!

I really can not believe what we or our guests experienced. And although the Manager did discount our bill (10%) it still did not take into consideration all of the issues that we did not know about until the next day. It does not take into consideration that I had to work the entire affair, by delivering food, drinks, marinara etc to my guest.

The following Monday my Wife followed up with several calls to our Coordinator and after finally getting a return call back, she told us that the Manager and assistant did not think that things were that bad. Really?! That is what came back to her.

My Wife asked that we at least get a comp meal for the meal that we did not get since we had to work the event. Jan said that she would call us back on that. WE ARE STILL WAITING!

Obviously pulling a cork and serving some tapas is much easier than coordinating a small event. I think that Napa Tavern should stick to that and not over promise and under deliver. I know of 60+ people that would agree with me.

I am copying their corporate office with this review, but I am not holding my breath for a response.

1  Thank Eric C
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We were with friends on a driving trip from San Diego to San Luis Obispo (to Madonna Inn) and just happened to stop here for lunch. You can bet on the next trip we will actually plan to stop here for lunch.

Even for lunch the atmosphere is very classy and you have the feel of having an elegant but relaxed meal. The menu was so unusual we had a very hard time deciding what to have. Lots of interesting things and lots of unusual ingredients. My husband ordered the turkey & brie panini and I had the cognac pulled pork and then we shared. The food was just outstanding. The service was also excellent.

I highly recommend this place. My only regret is that we do not live closer. If we did it would definitely become one of my favorite places to eat.

1  Thank Kathleen R
Reviewed 15 November 2011

This restaurant houses the former Piatti home. First time back since Piatti closed and Napa Tavern opened. Had a nice lunch here on a Friday with a friend. The place was packed. The menu was varied, everything from hamburgers to pizza and all sorts of salads. Very California style lots of fresh greens and veggies. It was a good place to have lunch. Thinking about trying it out for dinner this week. Ask for a booth along the walls, center tables can get noisy. Good choice if you are tired of the chain restaurants in the area.

2  Thank Up4aTrip