“Fine but nothing special”

and 1 more site!
Banana Bungalow West Hollywood
Reviewed 8 February 2017

Stayed at Banana Bungalow West Hollywood, as I had stayed at the Hollywood location before, and the stay was fine. The front staff weren't what you would call rude, but they weren't friendly or particullarly accomodating either. I was taken aback when I saw my room, as we had to pass through another room to get there. The 6 person dorm I was in was filthy. Another girl came in, and changed to a more expensive room and another came in and wanted to leave, but was very late at night. We later discovered that the one of the girls staying there had been there for 5 months, hence why there was clothes all over the floor and products, dirty underwear etc. on the bathroom floor.

I stayed two nights, and the location was actually excellent. Very easy to visit different parts of the city. I would be willing to give it a go again, simply because of the location. Don't know if I would stay in a dorm room again though. If needing a dorm room, I'd reccomend the Hollywood location.

This would have been an excellent place to stay if we weren't constantly worried about the dirty room.

Room Tip: If staying in female dorm, make sure you are in the back room, because the front room constantly has...
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 February 2017

A wonderful week in LA begins with a safe, clean home base. Banana Bungalow Fairfax was great value for the money. Easy location, access to many bus lines for Venice, downtown, etc. Walking distances to food, shopping very favorable. Clean and safe, with a great kitchen, continental breakfast, and many activities - take advantage of the shuttle/parties to their sister property in Hollywood. Staff was helpful. I stayed in a 6 room dorm for 7 nights. Free coffee, desk top computers with internet ( I have no cell phone) kept me going for the week. Inspect the property if possible before booking. You'll be impressed.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2017 via mobile

This was my fourth stay at the Banana Bungalow and it just keeps getting better. This time I stayed in a private room with two friends. The place is spacious, clean and has everything you need for a short stay in an excellent location! Don't pay crazy prices to stay in expensive hotel in the area! I'm in my 30's and never felt like I was staying in a "party party" hostel, although they do provide awesome activities and such, this is a place for everyone! I'll be back for sure

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Danni G
Reviewed 3 January 2017

My stay at Banana Bungalow was the perfect introduction to LA and the USA. The hostel is clean and basic with free breakfast by the way of cereal, toast and coffee amongst other things. The social atmosphere at this hostel was fantastic, with a very central common area and activities every night with enthusiastic staff running them! They even offered free detergent for when doing my washing in the guest laundry. The Fairfax Ave hostel is in a great location, close to everything worth being close to. Highly recommended for anyone visiting LA.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2016

If you are wanting a place to stay when you're on a budget but want a decent location then this is the hostel for you.

Pros:
-West Hollywood is a great location if you're not wanting to be too far away from the tourist attractions. For the price you pay, it's a bargain.
-On site parking is available on a first come first served basis. The car park seemed secure enough and is specifically for guests.
-The hostel is in a safe neighbourhood. We stayed for 3 nights and didn't feel unsafe at all. The street that Banana Bungalow is on is quite a busy road but there's very little footfall late night. Most of the surrounding shops and bars close relatively early so there's not many people around. It's not an area where gangs or homeless people congregate, mainly just fellow tourists or locals.
-Free wifi - it would be easy for a budget hostel such as this to charge for wifi but Banana Bungalow don't go down this path. The wifi connection was good enough as well. Being able to connect to free wifi is definitely a huge plus point.
-We hired a car for our trip but took the bus into the centre to visit the main attractions that LA has to offer. The bus stop is a short 2 minute walk away from the hostel with a regular service. The staff shall point you in the right direction (literally!) if you ask them for service times and what number to get on.
-Size of the rooms are quite large. I stayed with my fiancee and we were given a double bed as well as a bunk bed in the room.
-Comfortable beds - nice and relaxing nights sleep had on all 3 nights.
-Free shuttle bus - We used the free shuttle bus to take us to Universal Studios which was great. The mini bus arrived on time and was incredibly practical. The driver was very knowledgeable on the area and gave us a guided tour along the way to the studios.
-Balcony - our room had a balcony looking onto the inside forecourt of the hotel. Although we didn't use the balcony due to cooler temperatures on an evening it can definitely be seen as a positive point.

Negatives
-The hostel isn't particularly clean. Our room wasn't cleaned to a standard that we would expect for any hotel or hostel. The towels that were given to us were mucky and looked like they needed either replacing or put in a very hot wash to remove the grubby stains.
-Staff not that friendly. The members behind the desk always seemed to do the bare minimum when it came to making us feel welcome or offering advice/help and general recommendations. When we asked any questions they were willing to help but it didn't feel that they were particularly interested in going above and beyond service levels. It almost came across as we were a slight hindrance and were wanting to just spend time talking to fellow members of staff.
-Minimal Breakfast - Guests are provided with toast/cereal/orange juice/tea/coffee and powdered milk for drinks. The standard is very poor but if you're wanting a quick breakfast then it's passable. Just don't expect delicious food!
Lack of seating in breakfast area - if you don't want to eat breakfast outside then you're confined to the indoor seating area which doesn't provide enough seating for the amount of guests needing breakfast in the morning.
-No air conditioning. This has to be the biggest negative in my eyes. If I could give any recommendation to the owners it would be to invest in air conditioning and remove the 1980's wall fans that are in place now. The fans are incredibly loud, old fashioned and don't really cool the room down either!

My overall opinion is that if you're on a budget and want a decent enough place to stay then this is the place for you. It is a hostel so just be aware that standards will not be high and that you ultimately get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple