“Great Stay, Perplexed By Some Reviews”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Warrenton, Virginia
“Great Stay, Perplexed By Some Reviews”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I always read Tripadvisor reviews before I travel so I noted a few negative reviews of the Mondrian in West Hollywood. That said, I know some of the other properties owned by this company, so I felt pretty confident.

We were not disappointed. We upgraded to a suite with a balcony and, yes, all the balconies face the pool and the SkyBar. Yes it's loud. We were on the 9th floor so it wasn't really an issue. One night we simply went there and that solved that. Our room was very comfortable, the bathroom with its two headed shower was nice, the bellman was awesome, the valet guys wrestled the top off our rented Jeep (no small feat) and Jason the concierge hooked us for drinks and dinner at various spots on Sunset and Melrose like we were movie starts.

Everybody was friendly and helpful the vibe is very young, hip and fun even for an oldster like me...I'm in my mid-fifties and I was perfectly comfortable there. We ate at Asia De Cuba one night in the hotel and our waiter was awesome and the Butter Fish and Cuban Chicken BBQ were delightful.

If you like hipster hotels (Morgans, Kimpton, etc), you'll love the Mondrian...It's not the Marriott or Shutters On The Beach, or The Beverly Hills Hotel - it's a different kind of hotel. If you check out their web page, you should know what to expect. If it looks the part, just engage the staff and you will be rewarded with great service and a lovely stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you for your past stay with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I am glad you enjoyed your room and that Jason from our Concierge made you feel like a “movie star”. I am also happy you enjoyed the Butter Fish and Cuban Chicken BBQ from Asia de Cuba. They are some of my favorite dishes as well. We really appreciate your feedback and hope you come back to visit very soon! Regards, Chloe Linder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Our experience at the Mondrian was mixed. We arrived very early and had a great check in experience with Saraee. Our room was ready well before the normal check in time which was appreciated. And we found the room quite comfortable (facing the pool but high enough not to be affected by noise).

But the bad; we booked a table at the restaurant but were not seated until an hour after our booking. Makes a booking kind of pointless. Service was pretty disinterested. And then on check-out i'm glad we checked the bill. There was an additional charge of 'porterage' for almost $100 that had been added to our bill. The explanation was that if bags are taken to the room and people don't have cash, then this tip can be added to the bill by guests. However we had given a cash tip, and had not authorised anything like that. $100 for bags to the room? Felt like
someone had decided to slip a $100 tip for themselves onto our account. Did not leave a very nice taste in our mouths and seemed to fit with the attitude of the Mondrian.

Room Tip: If pool side, get a high room to avoid noise. Any check your bill.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TraveltimeSydney
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your past stay. Thank you for the compliment about Sara’I at the front desk. I am glad she was able to accommodate an early check in for you. I am very shocked to read your comment regarding the $100.00 charge to your room for bellman porterage. It appears as though this was a slight misunderstanding and I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. We hope to welcome you back to Mondrian LA in the future. Sincerely, Chloe Linder
Manchester
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed here for three nights between Christmas and New Year. From arrival to departure all the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. We stayed midweek so it may be quieter than at the weekend, but we had a room overlooking the SkyBar, and heard no noise at all.

Our room was enormous - a King suite with a separate bedroom/living area. All the white scared me a little as I was convinced I was going to spill something! Lovely toiletries, and lots of space, although I couldn't for the life of me work out how to switch the bedside lights on.

Valet parking was expensive but so much easier, and you only pay once per day.

Didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment on the food - we walked right out of the hotel and ate breakfast at Starbucks, and dinner at the rodeo bar and the Cabo Cantina - both were a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you for choosing Mondrian for your recent stay. We really appreciate the compliment regarding the service in the hotel. I am also glad you enjoyed the layout and décor in your room. Please come back soon to visit.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Yes, the Mondrian is swanky, edgy, hip and there's a really cool swiveling mirror/TV in each room. But that's about all you'll be paying for - decor. Though it's location is prime, there are several other hotels in the area that you should consider that are a much better value. For a five star hotel, you expect five star treatment. Not so at the Mondrian. We gave it a try out of curiosity...never again. If the price was $75-100 less, I wouldn't be so picky. We paid about $270/night and stayed for two nights. Our total bill came out to almost $700 with everything else added. Ouch. Here's what went wrong:
1) The bellhop brought our bags into the room and dumped them in the entryway. No doubt, the room is small so in a way I understand that he probably had nowhere else to put them. But he made no effort to move them along the wall, or to grab the luggage stand from the closet and help to place one bag up. Our suitcases were just dumped.
2) The room is small. It is stylish but SMALL. There is no door on the closet, just a sheer curtain. The bed is full size for two people.
3) We requested one room for two adults. When we showed up, there was only one robe and no slippers. We had to call down and ask for these basic items.
4) The minibar is weirdly positioned. One entire shelf of the CLOSET area has minibar items spread out like a pantry. There is no pricing available for the minibar. Water is available but they charge you $12/bottle. I can't believe a hotel of this level needs to charge you for water! Ugh.
5) The shower is horrible. There are two shower "heads", one that has a nozzle and another "rain" shower head embedded in the ceiling. The water pressure is weak and the two nozzles don't really work with each other. It's almost as though they were spaced too far apart....it makes for a very confusing, and not so enjoyable, shower.
6) The cleaning service is careless. The bathroom floor was dirty both nights. An old Trident gum wrapper from a previous guest was sitting on the floor in plain sight in the bathroom during our entire stay. Gross.
7) We had a drink at this supposedly amazing SkyBar. The bar tender couldn't find his strainer so my mediocre drink came filled w/ raspberry seeds floating on the top.
8) There are no instructions for wi-fi in the room. What the... There is just an ethernet cord. Incredulous, we called down for instructions (they were not explained at all during check-in). The front desk provided them, we tried, still didn't work. We called down again. Turns out, the front desk provided only a portion of the instructions. We thought we had to pay for wi-fi (@#!#$) but the confusion was mainly due to the fact that he forgot the last step for the login.
9) No top sheet in the bed, only a fitted sheet and comforter. The bed is full size, not queen, for two. The pillows are dinky and not fluffy. I woke up the second night with a kink in my neck.
10) These are just observations: a - It's tacky that they have full size bottles of their toiletries sitting on the bathroom counter w/ the pricing. If people love your toiletries, they will ask if they can buy it from the hotel. b - the hair dryer is so Holiday Inn basic. c - what hotel doesn't have printed hotel pads or cards? Even Holiday Inn has them. There was just a dinky white gridded pad of paper on the "work desk"...really random.

Bottom line is - the Mondrian is more like a 3.5 star hotel so it should price itself that way. Sure, there will be a bump for the location - fine. But at least if they price themselves properly, guests show up with the right expectations. Their lack of attention to detail is astonishing. We stayed at The London a few months back. FANTASTIC. Go book w/ them right away. With a corporate rate, the room rate is the same as the Mondrian's. Highly recommend The London. THAT'S what a 5 star hotel should be like- fruit bowl in room, free water, showers are grand, robes are comfy, beds are huge w/ great pillows, and best of all, their complimentary brunch is amazing! Super high quality. O - and each room is really a suite. The one we stayed in had a private balcony with a view that doesn't lose to Mondrian's fancy SkyBar. With The London only one block away, I don't know why anyone would want to stay at the Mondrian.

I never post reviews because I'm lazy :) so it just goes to show. Just had to get the word out.
Have fun in LA!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cat L
Thank you for your feedback regarding your last visit. The mission of our staff here at Mondrian is to help you have the time of your life while you are staying with us. We are crushed to find out that we missed the mark however we would love to make it up to you. I hope you give us another chance to redeem our reputation. Please reach out to me prior to your next trip to Los Angeles. I hope you give our hotel another chance. Sincerely, Chloe Linder
lbarnaba24
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for a one night relaxing get-away from Santa Barbara. I was initially upset that we weren't staying longer, but now, I am so glad we were only there for one night.
But, I digress, I'll start with the positives:
The hotel is gorgeous. The look is sleek and modern, but not overly trendy. The pool area and the view of the city is really fantastic. The pool was busy on Saturday but not uncomfortably so. All the gentlemen working around the pool area were also very friendly.
The valets and people behind the desk are wonderful, helpful and informative. The bartenders (especially the lovely girl who works inside) and host of the restaurant were fantastic. We didnt' actually eat at the restaurant, so we can't comment on the food, but it smelled good. :)
To conitinue with one more postive, the look of our hotel room was really beautiful. The studio layout was perfect. The swiveling television/mirror is a little touch that is actually really cool, and had my husband wanting one for our home. The room was very clean and looked - mind you - looked quite cozy.
The negatives:
THIS WAS THE WORST SLEEP I HAVE EVER GOTTEN IN A HOTEL IN MY LIFE. Let me add that in college I studied abroad and slept in several hostels-worse than that.
We were in a room on level 2, which had a beautiful and LOUD view of the pool area. After a nice night out, we came back to our room around 11, wanting to drink a glass of wine and relax.
We first opened the windows to get a breeze, but quickly realized that it was too loud at the skybar (pool area) behind our room to do that. Not a problem, we thought...We'll turn on the a/c instead. HORRIBLE IDEA. The A/C made a very loud-rumbling noise every time it turned on-which was about every 5 minutes - I would expect this in a cheap motel, but not the Mondrian.
After about an hour of this, we decided to turn off the air and deal with it- no windows, no air, ok. We got into bed - and there was only a comforter and a bottom sheet!!!! NO top sheet, NO extra blanket - just a bottom sheet and comforter. So, it was either turn on the noisy air and sleep under the comforter, or use no air and have no blanket (and deal with the noise from outside)....you have got to be kidding me.
We finally decided to try having the air on - and dealt with the LOUD a/c turning on and rumbling every five minutes - in between the LOUD yells and cheers from the people listening to the DJ or whatever loud music was playing outside. Realistically, we should have called to switch rooms, but at this points it was 130 in the morning, and the last thing we wanted to do was pack up all our stuff and move.
Needless to say we woke up for good around 630am - when my husband looked at me and said that this was THE WORST night sleep he has ever had. He is a HEAVY sleeper, and a really easy guy to please.
As we were checking out, I was planning on mentioning the a/c and club noise issue to the man who had been so nice to us the day before at check-in. BUT HE DIDN"T EVEN ASK how our stay was. I have a feeling he knew when he put us into that room how it would be.
I dont know if this is the crappy room they give to people who choose not to upgrade, or the one they give to people who buy a groupon like we did....but it wasn't even close to worth the $199 we still spent with our groupon. SO VERY DISAPPOINTING Mondrian.
I would just like to note that I am 28, so I enjoy a party, a club, and I'm fairly easy going (less so than my husband, but still, I'm good to go with whatever). This was STILL NOT OK.

Room Tip: dont stay here.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lbarnaba24
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear you had an uncomfortable stay in our hotel. Sleeping accommodations are one of the most important aspects of a hotel stay, and I apologize we did not meet your expectations. I appreciate your nice comments regarding our service and room decor. If you decide to stay with us in the future our city view rooms tend to be the quietest. The hotel does not assign certain rooms with certain rates; all is based on availability. Please reach out to me for your next stay and I would be happy to request a quiet room for you. I am positive if you give us another chance we can turn your negative experience around. Thank you for choosing Mondrian and we hope to see you in the future.