“Very informative”
Review of Mare Island Museum

Mare Island Museum
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Vallejo
More attraction details
Owner description: Mare Island was the first Naval Base on the West Coast,opening in 1854. Beatiful Historic properties with National Landmark Status. Museum building opened in 1855. 2-Mansions in 1900, and 1901 Chapel with the most Tiffany Stained Glass in the West. Properties available for Tours, Weddings,and many types of special events, such as Memorials, Funerals & Concerts.The properties are managed by the Mare Island Historic Park Foundation. (A non-profit established in 1995)
Reviewed 2 February 2017

We walked all around the old historic area. They have done a good job renovating this
portion of the old naval shipyard. The museum is run by volunteers who really know their history. The exhibits are not fancy but we learned a lot about this interesting part of our history.

2  Thank Mimi F
"absorb"
"souvenirs"
"bay"

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Not like most museums. Not stuffy, shiny or clean. It's old like the base itself. Filled with many artifacts.
Went there eith my 16 yr old son on a weekend. We were the only customers there. The volunteer on hand, an old marine in a wheelchair with an amputated leg. Was part of history himself. Since we were the only ones there, got a private tour of the place. A must see for military and history buffs.

3  Thank Ken B
Reviewed 27 July 2016

Much more to see and experience than we had anticipated. Great history. A volunteer/worker, Omar, was very knowledgeable and helpful. Great staff through-out. Facilities were more than expected as well. Worth your consideration.

2  Thank RoadWarriorWalt
Reviewed 19 May 2016

The museum and attending tour is super. There is much history here and much of it is a surprise.Don't miss St. Peters Chapel with it's Tiffany windows. The museum is run be a staff of charming, knowledgeable volunteers. The tour is enlightening, extremely informative and very much worth the time and $10. GO.

2  Thank BayArea_CAWanderer
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

I was stationed at the Naval Training Center at Mare Island 1969-1970. The shipyard was considered off limits to us at that time so I was intrigued to learn that there was a museum. If you are into naval history this is a must stop. I expected a small place with a bunch of pictures hanging on the wall and a volunteer asking for money. There are pictures on the walls and the volunteer will not turn down a donation but there is much much more to this museum. There are several maps and models showing the evolution of the shipyard. On one of the models, I was able to find the guardhouse where I stood mid watch on cold winter nights. We spent an hour wandering around looking at all kinds of interesting artifacts. I was a cruiser sailor so submarines were unknown territory to me. The docent took me to the plaque of the second ship to be named USS Chicago. It was constructed at the shipyard in the 1930s and sunk in WWII. (I served on the fourth USS Chicago.) The periscope is fascinating even though I am a bit too tall to really enjoy it. I am a sucker for a gift shop. I purchase a Mare Island plaque to add to my Navy collection and ordered two USS Guitaro plaques (before and after she sank in the shipyard) and a plaque of the USS Long Beach. All in all a very enjoyable visit. If you are a navy buff be prepared to spend at least an hour in this museum.

4  Thank Gregory S