• Pool
All reviewsstay there againstudiedvegetariancampingaccommodationnamibia
Reviewed 26 January 2018

A colleague and I stayed at the Lodge while working with Ju/'hoansi trackers in the Nyae Nyae Conservancy in January 2018.

The hospitality shown by the managers Sophie and Titus was outstanding. Meals were good. Rooms comfortable, clean and well-maintained. Fans helped with the high summer heat; so, too, the small but properly maintained pool. A lot of attention has been paid to nurturing the trees and other plants around the spacious grounds.

A plus was the opportunity to socialize with very interesting travellers in the evenings: wildlife enthusiasts exploring a remote area of a vast country, conservationists and anthropologists, amongst others.

The Lodge is a great place to base oneself when engaging with the Nyae Nyae surrounds. We spent at day at the Nyae Nyae Pan (4-wheel drive needed), and saw thousands of flamingos as well as great numbers of open-bills, grebes, stilts and wattled cranes - the last a real special. Not to mention a pack of wild dogs wallowing in the shallows (which we were able to approach on foot), and then elephant, springbok, bat-eared foxes and wildebeest. Spoor of two males lions, fresh from that morning. We saw no other human beings the whole day ... (the mob go only to Etosha).

Not cheap, but then everything for the Lodge has to be sourced from afar.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We stayed in a room stead of camping. Very helpful staff. Good night sleep and nice hot shower. Liked the friendly wildlife on the property (4 cats ). Thanks to the waterhose available we were able to clean our car from the layer of dirt it had accumulated. We had a great chat with the community's support guy Brice.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2017

Neat and tidy ablutions and camp site
Friendly staff and well received at reception.
Could improve internet connectivity and offer Wi Fi seeing that Tsumkwe is in the middle of " Nowhere"
Beer was nice and cold

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TUCSIN Tsumkwe ... M, Guest Relations Manager at Tucsin Tsumkwe Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

We have noted your review. We thank you for your constructive criticism and take it to heart while we strive to improve our service for all our guests.
Because Tsumkwe Lodge is so remote and far from reliable service providers, the lodge faces many logistical challenges compared to an establishment close to town.
Maintenance, transport of stock and various other logistical issues can sometimes be challenging to resolve at any given moment. We don’t always have a quick fix for everything but, we do not deny the smaller things that can be fixed with a simple explanation or alternative solution when a guest complains.

TUCSIN Tsumkwe Lodge has embarked on a mission.
Renovations have been completed on all the rooms and the main area. We trust the improvements will add value to our guests experience and afford them a memorable stay. The staff continue to undergo training to improve their level of service delivery. Our staff are now all certified by the Namibian Training Authority for each course they have complete.

Considering our location and sparse population in the area, the Wi Fi is slow and limited but, it`s the best we can provide for now. Better technology is on its way, we are positive it will eventually reach us in a short while.

Tsumkwe Lodge wishes to thank every guest sincerely and emphasize the importance of your contribution - Visitors to TUCSIN Tsumkwe Lodge are not only able to experience the ancient and unique culture of the San community but also contribute to the improved livelihoods of the local San people. 100% of profits generated by the TUCSIN Tsumkwe Lodge fund local projects in education, income generation, training, cultural preservation and more.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I have been asked to change my original review because of some name dropping. I apologise for that. Below is an amended version because I believe strongly in platforms like these and their informative nature, ensuring we learn from others’ mistakes and encourage proper hospitality! Especially in my home country which I make sure to travel often. I choose to support local whenever I can, have studied hospitality and worked locally and internationally in establishments raging from below to above 5* ratings.
Originally Reviewed January 3, 2017

This lodge with its ambitions, truly has the potential to be so much more, so I am sadly disappointed in the lack of just general trying! Unfortunately, in this area for now, it’s the only choice.

Rooms are not cleaned properly or at all! The floor was sandy and the dustbins were still full of the previous guests things. The shower has build up of grease and dirt and the towels and bed linen was lined with dust. The mosquito net was broken, which makes it of no use, so perhaps it can just be removed and guests be told to bring their own?
I asked for our room to be cleaned and when we return that evening at 6pm, no one had done so. When enquiring why this happened (or didn’t), the receptionist gave me a ‘Not my job and we didn't have the key’, without any apology or solution. I will excluded my opinion here because I think it’s clear (to some of us) what better options of roads she could’ve taken here.
I then dared to ask if they can please clean it then while I'm at dinner. To which I got a 'how dare you ask that'! The cleaning lady showed up, obviously with a huge attitude and lightly swiped her cloth over the surfaces.

In the evening there was so much noise, from guests and staff we had to go outsides and ask them to keep it down. And at 5 am we got a wake up call with a knock at the door by one of the guides. (A little communication among the staff - from management especially would’ve gotten him to the right room because it wasn’t ours).

The shower is a joke, but not a funny one. Either scolding hot or ice cold. Trick we figured out after many attempts in a thirsty country with a lack of rainfall: turn the hot tap all the way open and adjust with the cold tap.

Pool had a little bit of water in and infested with mosquitoes and frogs.

I'm very disappointed and sad. Like I said there’s huge potential and I really hope (at least management) can go for some proper training!

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room with proper working hot/cold water taps.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank LschatziS
Reviewed 12 September 2017

we thought it was a gamereserve. It might be but no annimals at all, and powerplant that runs till late at night block out all possible experiences of nightlife
Toilets and showers was dirty.
Wood is extemely expensive. rather charge more per night and supply wood

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank nicoligthelm

TUCSIN Tsumkwe Lodge has embarked on a mission.