Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in great prices from these sites
RitzCarlton.comUSD 398
Booking.comUSD 398
Agoda.comUSD 398
Hotels.comUSD 386
Expedia.comUSD 386
CheapTicketsUSD 386
1,255 results
All reviews club level the ritz manzanita restaurant lake tahoe mountain concierge living room resort fee northstar village fire pit backyard bbq valet service ski valet turn down service mountain view beautiful property gondola ride every staff member
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

There’s a lot to recommend at the Northstar Ritz. The ski-in, ski-out convenience is fantastic, as are the hotel’s well-organized skis and boots services. They’ve thought through all the skiing logistics for you and made it easy. Shout out to the staff who handle this, including the hard-working front door valets.

As reported by others, food services are limited and costly, just like any Ritz. Dinner at Manzanita Restaurant is especially expensive. I have yet to meet a fish that I’m willing to pay over $100 for, even if it feeds more than one person.

A standard room was spacious and clean, with the classic well-thought-out Ritz details: lots of hooks in the bathroom, lots of lights in the bedroom. (It’s past time to have more outlets, though. That should be #1 on the room update to-do list.)

Add in the daily, complimentary s’mores fest and the post-ski hot tub, and it’s all pretty wonderful.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2018

I'm a Marriott Gold member and we use 70k points to stay one night at this property. I'm very familar with the cost of points to stay at the Ritz so I was expecting one of the best hotel experiences in my 18 years of traveling. What did we get?.....Somewhere in between a magnificent stay and an average stay. First let me start off by saying Sunday, April 15th was their last day open for the winter season, closing for a month on April 16th. That signaled to us that we might not get the best food/service they have to offer because they wouldn't want to order fresh food to just throw it away. Due to this being the last day and the last day Northstar was open, the resort was very slow. I'll start the actual review by saying that every person we interacted with was professional and true Ritz quality. Everybody was engaged and helpful, similar to Disneyland where "no" is not an option:) The $40 mandatory valet parking was fine, something you'd expect at a Ritz...albeit high when the resort was probably less than half full. They gave us early check-in so that was great. The front desk guy was great, friendly, helpful. The bellman was a local and another professional guy. He chatted with us a little and definitely a Ritz quality employee. Ran to get us ice for champagne and asked if he could even hang our clothes. The room looked fantastic to us. VERY comfortable bed, great amenities, Nespresso (first time and I liked it), deep tub, nice walk-in shower and all the small touches you'd expect at the Ritz. Very narrow balcony but we could open the door to the giant fireplace outside and people-watch. Lots of kids playing in the snow and people coming in and out of the resort on snowboards/ skis. What a great option that would be if we were skiing. We ate at the Living Room and it is a little awkward eating lunch at a couch. We had the pork "wings", crab cakes, and brussel sprouts. Everything was great...expensive but great. We utilized the pool with very comfortable chairs and a giant bottle of sunscreen! The pool and hot tub were great, no surprises here. We checked out the spa and it was great, albeit probably a little tight if the resort was full. Steam room, sauna, cold shower, spa, relaxation room, lockers...all the amenities you would expect at a Ritz. My only complaint here was there is no TV in the relaxation room! Most (if not all) the other resorts I've stayed at had a TV in the relaxation room....we're dudes...we like sports. I would say definitely add a TV to that room. The attendants were great and I'd like to give special shout out to Mario who brought me some champagne and engaged in some good conversation. We opted to go to dinner in Truckee (which turned out to be a mistake) as we should've stayed on property and tried Manzanita. I did sit at the lobby bar and watch basketball on the giant tv overlooking the valley. Great spot to hang out and the bartenders were great guys. We got breakfast at Manzanita's but we opted to not get the brunch...$79! The brunch looked great but just too pricey for breakfast, even if it did include all you can drink mimosas....how many mimosas can you actually drink?!!?! The service was a lilttle slow that morning as the hostess seemed to disappear at times while I waited for our to go order. The biggest complaint I have with this Ritz is the view. The views shown on the website and the title itself says "Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe". But you CAN'T see Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe is 15 minutes away and while they do have a little cabana down by the lake, the views from the resort are just OK. The views from the pool are just a couple ski runs. We felt like if we were going to spend our money (in this case points) we'd either get a reduced Ritz rate (because the views are ho-hum) or there would be spectacular views. The other minor complaint was the food options...it was Manzanita or the Living Room....or take the gondola down the Northstar village. We still would like to visit again as the service was so great, rooms outstanding and experience overall very good. I would never recommend against coming to this resort, but it's beneficial to know what to expect so you're not disappointed.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

I don't really know how to start this review since we had such a disappointing stay at the Ritz in Lake Tahoe. I always like to start on a positive note, so what I would say is that the location is excellent. Ski-in, ski-out. Most of the staff were friendly and polite, although not super knowledgeable about the ski resort. It is a kid-friendly resort and the staff pay special attention to the young ones.
However, this did not make up for the fact that at the price we were paying, the rest of the resort was sub par at best. The rooms were dirty (dust everywhere and dusty corners where they obviously hadn't vacuumed), the bathroom amenities were not complete, the daily housekeeping was totally inconsistent. Sometimes they would open the blinds, sometimes they wouldn't. Sometimes they would leave some water by your bed, sometimes they wouldn't. Sometimes they would tuck in your bed, sometimes they wouldn't. Each housekeeper seemed to have their own style, which is not what a 5 star hotel should have. We had problems with the in house laundry. Room service was INEDIBLE. Possibly the worst room service I have ever eaten. We would call for our car and yet 30 minutes later, the wrong car would appear, or not appear at all. One of our telephones in our suite did not work the entire time, despite maintenance coming in to fix it on numerous occasions. The spa completely lost our booking. The food at all the restaurants in the hotel were pretty awful. Luckily the nearby village had decent options.
There are so many other instances that went wrong which I do not want to list out. To be fair, they did try to fix our problems but these issues should not have come up in the first place. A few mistakes here and there is tolerable, but so many on a daily basis? Definitely not what I expected at the prices they charged.
My advice is to stay at a serviced apartment in the Northstar village, and skip the Ritz!

Room tip: Rooms are very spread out and ours took a good 6 minutes to walk to from the lifts.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
8  Thank alondongirl
Ritz-Carlton_GM, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear alondongirl,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent visit to the resort.
Please accept our sincere apology for the disappointing experience you encountered. Rest assured this is not typical of the level of service or food quality you can expect to receive here.

Thank you for your feedback and we do hope to see you again in Lake Tahoe next season!

The Ladies & Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve never stayed at a Ritz before, so when a last minute opportunity came up and I saw some crazy low room rates I booked it. They have a ski concierge here who took my snowboard and boots at check in and gave them to me the next morning when we went to hit the slopes. My boys all rented gear on property and the ski in ski out makes this place soooooo amazing. Everyone was super friendly and helpful and now I’m afraid I won’t want to stay anywhere else in the future. The beginner run is adjacent to the hotel. The shop in the hotel can hook you up with everything including lift tickets. I’m a big fan. Oh and they have a free gondola running all day till 9pm to and from the Northstar village.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank 205SteveC
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Spent 3 nights there in March, first full day was a huge snow storm that delivered 3 feet of snow and left us staying in all that day. What a great place. Read books and played card games with complimentary cards by the fireplaces in the lobby. Room was very nice with a gas fireplace that was turned on with a switch and would turn off after one hour. Great way to go to bed at night. Bathroom and accessories are what you would expect in a Ritz hotel, staff super friendly and nice. Beautiful setting, felt like we were in Switzerland. Would definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: March 2018