“Something a Little Different”
Review of Koji Bbq Buffet

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Koji Bbq Buffet
Ranked #410 of 592 Restaurants in Torrance
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 2 July 2015

Koji is a traditional Korean BBQ-style restaurant, where you grill raw ingredients right at your table. I've been coming here once in a while for several years, and, while it is generally enjoyable it has been going down somewhat lately. For example, there used to be a selection of prepared dishes, including Chinese, to complement the ones you have to cook yourself, but a few weeks ago on my last visit they were no longer available. I really missed the stuffed crab shells, white fish, and the glass noodles.

While the selection of raw seafood and meat varieties is notable, and the salad ingredients are numerous, don't plan on enjoying much of a dessert here. Almond cookies, Jell-O, and canned peaches are about it.

I agree with the previous comments on service, but find this may be more of a cultural phenomenon than anything else. (I've spent a lot of time in Korea over the nearly 40 years and find the service at Koji to be somewhat consistent with what I've found in Korea, which is not the land of smiles and friendliness.) Just ask for another grate for your table grill when it becomes chock full of carbon and you'll see what I mean.

So, give it a try if you want to experience self-prepared Korean BBQ and get a taste (literally and figuratively) of what it may actually be like in Korea.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is an all-you-can-eat Korean tabletop grill restaurant. You pick your own assortment of meats and vegetables from a long buffet, take them to your table, and grill your meal. I walked in at lunch time and there was no hostess so I walked around and the food looked and smelled good, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I asked a waitress for a table, and she scowled and said something, which I did not understand. It was fire-in-the-eyes, "I'm miserable as hell" spite. I think she may have said, in Korean, that it was 2 person minimum, which is what the sign in the window said. But I was hoping to skip the buffet and order from the menu, or just pay for two persons if the buffet was the only option. But the waitress just kept walking and wasn't interest in what I would say. The whole thing was over the top rude and Saturday Night Live comical.

So I left and drove across the parking lot to Nozomi, where I had an awesome sushi lunch in a very peaceful restaurant with gracious waitresses. In retrospect, that rude waitress did me a favor.

2  Thank BluefinToro
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My friend celebrated her Birthday at Koji a few weeks ago. My husband and I usually dont go to restaurants like Koji but because of the Birthday we decided to give it a try. Boy were we dissapointed...The place itself is old and worn down, the bathrooms are in dire need of a remodel. The raw meat in the buffet trays looked old and everything else was not looking very appealing either. Nevertheless, we tried a few things. Most of the meat and fish is super spicey and almost not eadable. Your mouth was sheer on fire.
Since my husband and I are not used to eating foods like that we also had some serious stomach issues the next morning which made the aftertaste even worse.
I do not believe that we will return but hope everyone else who visits enjoys it better than we did.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

They cut back on the short ribs (Kalbi). They use the cheapest short rib kalbi, hardly any meat mostly bones. They used to have the short rib meat w/o the bone that was good but they removed it from the menu. Wish there was another korean buffet where you could pick your own food like Koji. They only have the kind that they bring the all you can eat to your table, I rather go up to the buffet table and get my own stuff.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Great Food! except that your gonna smell like smoke...

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Koji Bbq Buffet? Share your experiences!