“So glad we dined here last night - Friday on the patio”
Review of Cafe Champagne

Cafe Champagne
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Champagne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 452 Restaurants in Temecula
Price range: USD 10 - USD 21
Good for: View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Butterfield Sage
Reviewed 2 August 2017

The outdoor area was quiet as the weather was turning a bit but the enclosed and heated area was perfect for our group of 5 family adults plus one 2 year old. Jason was our server and he was both attentive and professional. We ordered champagne ($54) red wine and Mission pale ale...strange selection. The last time I dined here was 30 years ago when my nephew was a server. Thorton still lives up to its reputation and everyone gave them 5 out of 5 for the steak, chicken, ravioli and lobster. Highly recommended..we will definitely put Thornton Cafe Champagne on our Top 10 list.

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

We joined the wine club and got 2 free tastings! Now we stop here ever time we re in Temecula for lunch and a sip or two. Great food and service. (wonderful salads too) They have a water fountain with floating ducks in it to keep the wayward children busy and occupied. During the weekends they have jazz plus other type of music. We have not stayed during any of the concerts, but we have heard they are very good.

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Locals that used to belong to the wine club. Came to view the remodel & lunch. Prices structured to discourage ordering lite fare: $22+/burger or flatbread, etc. N.Y. or pasta w/shrimp $40=$120 lunch easy. For small plates & wine, maybe try Callaways across the steet. ;-)

Reviewed 25 May 2017

This winery has been here for ages and has always been one of the most attractive. The view and layout of the place is most appealing. The restaurant is elegant with the option to eat outside. The menu was varied and I did have a dilemma choosing as there were some items that caught my attention. The flavor of the dishes I had was good but not worth a repeat visit. I would go back and try some of the other dishes except for the price. Brussel sprouts were $18 flat bread $24. That must be a huge mark up. I have had some less expensive meals elsewhere that were excellent. Is the environment worth the higher prices? With so much competition in the wine country there are better choices.We were even told that they were short staffed. That should not be an issue. Good service is expected in a restaurant like this.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

My neighbor and I went to Cafe Champagne for lunch last week. We are locals and have gone many times. Most visits with some kind of disappointment. Usually with service. We decided to try again because it is close to home and really is one of the prettiest wineries. We had heard they had either a remodel or a new chef. We saw evidence of neither. Everything was the same as our last visit.

We went early and were the first guests. Hostess was young, but friendly and accommodating, patiently allowing us to pick where we wanted to be seated.

Service was friendly, but a little slow between sitting down and ordering. We thought that was odd since only one other table of guests came after us. It was fine the rest of the time and she was very nice.

We each ordered a glass of the sweeter sparkling wine the server suggested and it was good.

I have always loved their Cafe Champagne salad and was happy it was still on the menu. I asked about the soup of the day and it sounded delicious ( and it was) so my friend and I decided to each have a cup of soup and share the salad adding chicken to it.

The soup was $6.00 a cup. The salad was $16.95 plus $7.00 for the chicken plus they charged us $4.00 to split it. So the salad, which only covered (not mounded) a side salad plate after being split (obviously not a big salad to begin with) was $28.00. Ridiculous!

But here was the kicker. They didn't bring any dinner rolls or bread which I thought was odd so I asked the server for some. She said they did have bread but it was $5.00! You could tell she was embarrassed to tell us that. Are you kidding me? That's just rude.

I can see them wanting you to ask since so much bread is wasted these days with the lo-carb craze but $5.00? Highway robbery as my mother used to say. We said no thanks to that. That's the price of a loaf at a good bakery.

So our lunch of a cup of soup, HALF a relatively small salad and one glass of sparkling wine cost us $33 EACH- BEFORE the tip. We won't be back. The food was good but not that good.

And a side note:

Each table, ours included, has a bud vase with fresh alstroemerias and one completely dead rose hanging over. One table just had limp dying alstroemerias. If you think you are that classy of a place that you can charge those prices your flowers should at least be alive at the start of the day.

Been to Cafe Champagne? Share your experiences!