“Classy option in South Pasadena”
Review of Shiro

Reserve with OpenTable
Shiro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: USD 32 - USD 55
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fair Oaks Ave.
Transit: South Pasadena Metro Station .4 miles from the Restaurant
Description: Our food is only the best of the ingredients presented so that their excellence shines through. Our caring staff is here to help you enjoy your meal. We have a full bar.
Reviewed 8 May 2017

This is a pricey option for dinner but the service and food are exceptional. My husband and I had not been for many years (he is very picky about restaurants) but even he was delighted by the fact we were seated at a table away from the main area and by our attentive waiter. The hostess came over several times to check on how we were doing. We had the snapper and orange roughy and both were delicious. I had the special oyster appetizer with a champagne sauce and it was the best oyster dish I had eaten in quite a while. Shiro is worth the spluge especially if you are a seafood lover.

1  Thank SouthPasTraveler

Reviewed 16 April 2017

I decided to dine alone on a rare Saturday night. Since it was Easter eve, many places were crowded or full. I decided to revisit an old favorite in SPas, Shiro! I used to come here years ago with family, it was one of our favorites! Fortunately, the hostess was extremely friendly, and there was a small table in the corner available, lovely table! Unfortunately, I found my waiter to be extremely inattentive, possibly deciding that since I was only one person, he would exert half the effort! (Because I'm a woman, too, maybe less than half). The service was extremely slow, extremely inattentive, it took ten minutes to get fresh ground pepper, NO ONE ever came by to ask if I was enjoying my meal, and there was lots of waiting, waiting, waiting. It was one of the worst service experiences I've had of recent late. WOW, unbelievable how bad it was! Fortunately, the food was delicious. My asparagus salad was top notch, and the duck, although distracted by Twitter now, was amazing, To return or not?? Since I can get a delicious meal with phenomenal service elsewhere, probably not. Even with a better half!

Shiro1505, Owner at Shiro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2017

I want to sincerely apologize for your experience. I was the hostess
that evening (thank you for the compliments). Shiro is owned by two
woman (myself included). We are appalled by your treatment and we will
most definitely deal with the staff. We are known for our excellent
treatment of our guests and we're going to do our utmost to live up to
those expectations.

We are a small, locally owned business. We would like everybody to know
that if, during their time at Shiro, there is anything at all that you
feel is a problem, large or small, please immediately call over the
floor manager (most of the time, it will be me).

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

This wonderful restaurant is within walking distance from our house. I have been coming here pretty much since they opened their doors and have never been disappointed!
This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. It's off the beaten track, so to speak, in the small community of South Pasadena.
They have so many wonderful items on the menu, but it's always hard to resist their signature dish of a whole catfish deep fried with ginger and served with a savory ponzu sauce .... so flaky and a taste that's delightful.
I highly recommend Shiro ... you won't regret it!

Reviewed 14 March 2017

Shiro is a restaurant where they know how to treat people. From the moment you walk in the door until you get that last cup of coffee after a great desert, you are treated like a valued customer. The food is excellent, the waiters are very knowledgable and the atmosphere is relaxing and comfortable.
We spent this past New Years at Shiro with another couple and just had a wonderful time. They had a jazz trio for the occasion that were quite good (though the violin was consistently a little flat) and the meal was spectacular. A great way to ring in the New Year. We'll be back again. And again!

Reviewed 18 February 2017

Shiro is tucked a bit away from Old Pasadena. The service is delightful. You are warmly greeted by the staff that care as much for the 'out of towners' like us as the regulars. The Atmosphere is nearly Asian. Chop Sticks are available as we saw a few people using. We had the Crab cake appetizer along with the Scallops and Shrimp dish and the Dory fish dish. The crab cakes were small but full of crab with very little binder. The entrees came with a small side dish of green beans, baby organic carrots and potatoes au gratin. The entrees were filling and superbly flavored. The sauces were a mystery of trying to guess the ingredients. It was subtle and surprisingly hearty complimenting the sea food, not hiding it. We had the flowerless chocolate cake with the most scrumptious vanilla ice cream I have tasted in a long time. If I had one criticism it would be that an appetizer should have an even number of portions, in our case 4 instead of 3 making splitting an easier proposition. Next time we are here, I will be eating at Shiro