“Great menu and service”

Emberz
Ranked #6 of 93 Restaurants in Sonora
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

It’s been years since I ate here after not really liking the menu before. But the menu now is much improved, with lots of great choices like the Gorgonzola-Apple-prosciutto pizza, Tomahawk steak and Fried Chicken sandwich.

Wines by the glass are much improved in selection and taste. New wine bar coming next door should only make that better.

Good and service were spot on so I will be returning!

Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Looked at menu on line, and it looked good...you do need to make some price adjustments to the online. We ordered a cocktail for 2...the SSOW!...This was served in a large ceramic salad bowl. AWESOME. I had the Bleu cheese burger and it was perfect. My companion had the burger with an egg, and said it was delicious. The service was friendly, fast, and efficient. We cant wait to take out-of-town guests to our new favorite eatery...and drinkery!!!

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

We had the best lunch here! Great server. Julia was the best. Checked on us just enough, refilled our waters asked it we needed more of anything and if everything was to our satisfaction. Very pleasant and fun to chat with. The place had a fun atmosphere with the brick wall in the cozy downtown Main Street. The only problem is we will have to drive 640 miles to eat here again! The sweet potato fries were the best I have ever had. My burger was deluxe all the way. My son and husband loved every bite of their burgers. The ice water with a touch of lemon on the side in the mason jars was a sweet touch.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

I don’t write many one star reviews. But, I feel potential customers should have an accurate representation of an establishment. Unfortunately, the server is the main reason for the low rating.

Went for dinner. In at 8:25, settled at 8:30. One server, 4 tables including us. 8:40 got water. Server had no greeting or welcome. No communication ability. 8:45 server came to take order. Food came out at 9:10. Fish and chips were good. No qualms on food quality/quantity. Wife had Mac and cheese. A hearty portion.

When the server checked on us, my wife asked if they could save a peach crisp. We had even said we wanted one during our order. Server said “no problem. We’ll have one for you.” Came back....”The cook turned off the oven.” She did say we could order other desserts. Her attitude through the night was low-level. Very robotic.

Server had minimal knowledge of wine list. Ended up being out of one and told me there was no other Chardonnay on the menu....I tried to politely show it to her, but she didn’t want to hear it.

We asked for a manager after dinner. The server said there was no supervisor. A 2-week server left to run a restaurant??? We were told the supervisor was in Hawaii (we asked her to call the mgr at home). She brought out the kitchen manager (at least that’s what she called him). He offered minimal apologies. He basically said we came too late. Well, if the server had been on her game, she would have had our order in faster, which would help her and the staff get home faster.

There is a mandatory gratuity on “large parties.” At least that’s what the server called us when we asked for 2 separate checks before we even ordered. How large is large? 8, 10, 12? Here, it’s 6. That’s large. I think the server knew she could treat us cruddy, and still get auto 18%. As a reference point, we usually tip 20%. My wife was a server for 3 years in college, so she knows good service when she sees it. We got the cook to un-do the tip.

The server never got an answer as to if the green beans were nut-free. Totally forgot. I mentioned that to the cook. He then showed apathy.

Some fault needs to fall on the owner. She under-staffs the restaurant; a new employee is not able to multi-task that well. Other reviews have mentioned this — seems like they want to cut corners on servers and save wages for profits. Also, there should always be a manager on-duty to work with customers.

We have been traveling throughout NorCal since 6/29, and this was quite possibly the worst experience we had. We have had great experiences at many other places.

1  Thank Tripoverme
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

Wedge was awesome and the bartender/ waitress was very good. She did an amazing job and the food is outstanding. Great place and so worth it

Been to Emberz? Share your experiences!