“Mediocre Food Wastes Extraordinary Location”
Review of Plaza Bistro

Plaza Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Plaza Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 130 Restaurants in Sonoma
Price range: USD 30 - USD 50
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Spain Street
Transit: There is public transportation within walking distance.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

How could this historic, prime location deliver such mediocre food? I've asked myself this every time I've tried it. On this, my third visit, I was with a friend. We ordered a calamari appetizer that was too thickly cut, weirdly breaded, under-cooked (icky to bite through) and served on wilted (as in old) lettuce. With this came sliced baguette that had obviously been cut hours before - some slices were hard and some soft, but none were the quality of baguette you'd expect to find in a high-priced bistro (as in crunchy crust and distinct inner texture and aroma). For our main course, we ordered muscles that were prepared with flat-tasting ground sausage cooked in a thin, flavorless tomato broth. Half of the muscles were shrunk by being over-cooked, the other half were plump as they should be, but some of the shells were empty and one was completely closed. Really - they don't check these things before serving? We also ordered a Caesar salad that was haphazardly dressed (some leaves bare, some overdone). It was a Saturday night and the place was almost empty. Red flag, to be sure. What a shame.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Table by the window and not a lot of people for lunch.
Salmon sandwich on perfectly gourmet and went well with the Proseco!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Smallish place. Ended up being seated by the door, which I would try to stay away from. Was a chilly evening. Every time the door opened we got a blast of cool air. There are tables in the bar area that I think would be a little more cozy. Probably more variety with the appetizers than with the entrees. Lot of meat dishes, or pastas with meat. Only one all seafood dish. Wine selection was somewhat limited. I assume there are plenty of people who bring their own bottles. DIdn’t see what the corking fee was.

Decent meal. Service was good enough. Not sure I’d go back, mainly because there are so many spots around the square in Sonoma.

1  Thank mikeys2
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Owner Marin Chavez has indeed outdone himself in having a restaurant that exemplifies attention to detail and extraordinary service. The food with wine pairings were carefully selected. I had the mushroom rigatoni. The sauce was delicate and flavorful. Wait staff attend to your every need. Mr Chavez personally visits with every table to ensure level of service is on point. We visited here on our way to Napa Valley wine tastings and this restaurant is one that I will definitely come back to again. You will not be disappointed when you come to this restaurant!

Reviewed 1 February 2018

The back bar is antique and beautiful. The friendly personnel add to the warm atmosphere. The food's good too!. Right on the Sonoma Square, it's a great stop.