“Awesome place. Get a Villa-Cottage.”

The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 November 2017

This is a terrific place to stay. The grounds are extremely well kept. The place is clean. The staff are friendly and helping. My wife and I just lied on furniture by the pool and relaxed with a few drinks and snacks. The pool and spa are nice. The fireplace inside is nice to sit beside with a cocktail and relax. There is food and drink available. The atmosphere is great. I personally liked the fireplaces in the cottages/villa. I have already told my friends about this place and recommend you stay here too. Centrally located..it's right down the street from down-town Sonoma. Make your life simple, stay here.

Room Tip: Get a cottage / villa
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1375CMondragon, Guest Service Specialist at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa.

As a valued custumer we appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a great stay. With a spirit to serve, we take great pride in not only meeting, but exceeding your expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Would like to first mention that the people were super nice, went out of the way to help how they could and the lady that cleaned my room, while not being able to speak English, was probably the best interaction I had with someone at the hotel and she'll get a big tip due to how awesome she was (extra coffee, water and shampoo go a long way to make me happy).
Up in the area for work and due to the fires, couldn't get in at my normal hotel, Marriott Napa (love that one!). Booked the Lodge without knowing anything about it but normally have a great experience at Renaissance hotels (Vegas especially).
When I check in, I ask about the conceirge lounge (have platinum status). Informed there is no lounge. OK, some don't have it, no big deal. Ask if I get a breakfast voucher as there isn't a free breakfast. Told no, I could purchase breakfast at their bistro. Ok, what about a voucher for a better coffee that what's in the room. Nope, we don't offer that. At this point, I'm a bit frustrated and ask "Kinda pointless to have status and stay here then, hunh".
I'm at the hotel for roughly 17 night now with a limited food per diem and no breakfast...not good for this fat kid. On top of all this, they have a "resort" fee that gives you nothing...oh wait, "high speed" internet, which is free with platinum status anyway. Too bad I can't even watch Netflix or Amazon prime on my computer due to how bad the internet it. Add to it, the 50 inch tv, while nice, isn't in HD for most of the stations and also there isn't a guide (on the tv nor on paper in the room). Oh, and the resort fee doesn't even give you points...even more frustrating.
If you have status, this is one of the worst hotels you can stay at (been to probably 100 different Marriott brands in past 4 years so think I can speak with some authority about this). I would recommend the Marriott in Napa as the first choice in the area. Courtyard in Santa Rosa and Fairfield inn or Springhill Suites would be my Marriott choice before this one moving forward (stayed at all of them). If you want a nice experience in Sonoma, I'd recommend the Fairmont as it is a very nice hotel and price is roughly the same.
All in all, if you here on a vacation and don't care about points, status, or complimentary items related to status, it's a decent place. Otherwise, if you're a rewards member, avoid like the plague!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Wolterjwb
1375CMondragon, Guest Service Specialist at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Dear guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lodge at Sonoma. As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable experience, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your current stay. I am so sorry to hear that you have not been able to take advantage of the amenities included in our resort fee which include selection of a spa gift, lobby beverage & food delighters, a glass of sangria (2per room everyday), yoga classes, daily nature hike, Wi-Fi, nightly wine tasting, and for our platinum's we have free bike rental everyday. I will be sure to share your feedback with our departments to better inform our guest. As a thank you for your continued loyalty to Marriott, we would be delighted to offer you complimentary coffee in Bean & Bottle daily for the remainder of your stay.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

What a lovely Marriott property. Old school feel of luxurious two story, 8 unit buildings around the lovely grounds. The rooms are beautifully done, with the expected comfy bedding and towels, really great bathrooms. Fireplace, large screen tv. Super service the minute we were in the door. We had breakfast included, and it was first rate. Nice perk: bikes and helmets available free of charge to ride into town and around on the many bike paths. Very nice pool area. Didn't want to leave. Note: if you can't cart luggage up a full flight of stairs be sure to ask for a ground floor unit.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lesroccario
1375CMondragon, Guest Service Specialist at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a great stay. With a spirit to serve, we take great pride in not only meeting, but exceeding your expectations. I hope you get the time to come back again and stay with us to enjoy more of our resort.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Sonoma!

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We stopped here on a 25th Anniversary Tour of NoCal. Great staff...they signed a card and wished us Happy Anniversary...a nice touch. Close to square, friendly shuttle drivers if you did not want to walk the mile. Cozy clean rooms, great shower. Pool area was nice and music and wine tastings a very nice touch. We enjoyed our stay and only miss was we would have stayed two more days vs moving on to Napa....Sonoma was much more enjoyable.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Sonoma!

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

This place is gorgeous yet has a laid back atmosphere. Even the wine tasting had parents holding kids which surprised us but is very acceptable to see in wine country. The pool was filled with families on a hot afternoon so many of the groups of single bachelors were off to a corner and the single bachelorettes were in a different corner on the patio. We just sat back to watch the dynamics & enjoyed a section of shade to escape the heat.

The hotel is newly renovated so the elevator was randomly working during our stay and kinks hadn't been worked out in the spacious rooms yet but expected for new construction. Our only complaint was the noise inside our room surprised my boyfriend & I as we heard kids across the hall & above us running across the loud tile floor and folks slamming the bathroom barn doors constantly. The giant door looks stunning & hides the closet but it doesn't provide noise privacy from your partner or guests in other rooms. The loud noises took away from the romance a bit so I'd highly recommend main lodge rooms for business trips or families.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PerryNJ2
1375CMondragon, Guest Service Specialist at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Dear guest.

With a mission to provide superior customer service, we take great pride in serving your needs and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you encounter with the bathroom/closet door. As a valued customer your feedback will be shared with the Lodge at Sonoma resort team to continue to inspire and motivate them to deliver exceptional customer service.

Warm regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
0.8 km away
Ledson Hotel
#6 of 11 in Sonoma
14 km away
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!