1,384 results
All reviews cottage room the cottages carneros bistro free shuttle the bean marriott points wine tasting wine country shuttle service pool area main building soaking tub separate shower on site restaurant gas fireplace nice property concierge desk
Reviewed 20 November 2014

I traveled to Sonoma and Napa with my husband and his parents, and we stayed at this resort for our weekend getaway to Wine Country. Our room in a cottage featured a large tub, an open layout, a comfy bed, and a gas fireplace. My in-laws were upgraded to a gorgeous suite in the main building -- dining room, fireplace, separate bedroom, large bathroom.

Perks: Free (slow) wifi (with an option to pay for faster wifi). Free shuttle to downtown area every night. Activities at the resort like yoga, wine tastings, etc. Great bar on-site. Pretty pool and patio area (with outdoor fire pits!).

Downsides: Our shower was a little tight, and our upstairs neighbors were quite loud -- thankfully, the front desk staff were helpful and attentive, and the neighbors quieted down after only one warning from security.

I don't know that I could afford this resort without my in-laws' reward points, but if I could, this place would be at the top of my list for my inevitable return to this area.

Room Tip: The cottages are adorable -- would definitely recommend a room in one.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2014

Everyone goes to Napa ... but it's little sister is Sonoma. Close-by to Napa, but not as busy. The Lodge at Sonoma was the choice for our Committee Retreat, so most of our activities were on sight. I stayed in one of the cottages, which was very roomy, with the nice amenities of a fireplace and large tub/shower. Although I didn't eat in the restaurant, several of my colleagues did and pronounced it to be fabulous. The catered food was very good. This was a good choice for a conference, as the facilities were excellent.

My only reservation is that this property is a fair distance from the Square ... not really walkable. I understand that there was a shuttle which I did not use, as I had a car. Also, the location is on the main road, leading into Sonoma, in the middle of a residential district. If you're looking for a quiet resort, nestled in a vineyard setting, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Other than the cottages, there are rooms on 2 levels. If I return, I would ask for a cottage.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2014

I stayed here because of points rewards, and I was pleasantly surprised with the location and amenities. It is located 1.5 miles from the square and they have a shuttle bus that runs constantly to the city square to pick up and drop off for dinner, ect.. We ate in the square 3 nights and the shuttle driver was always there to pick us up! The rooms were adequate and clean and the resort was quiet with a nice pool and grounds. I would look carefully at where in the resort you would like to stay - main building, bungalows in the back, or the rooms in the building across the parking lot (where I stayed which was a bit less expensive) without a nice view. Just be sure you are satisfied with where you will be staying before you book - based on your budget. When staying here again I would choose a room in the main building overlooking the pool.

Room Tip: I would choose a room around the pool area in the main building.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2014

We stayed at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort and Spa with two other couples for our 30th anniversary. The lodge is located across from a hardware store and within bicycling distance to downtown Sonoma and a short drive to multiple vineyards. You will pay an extra fee for bike rental.

The property include free yoga in the morning and wine tastings in the evening.

There is a bar with food service off of the lobby. Each day the hotel provides different types of infused water.

The pool area includes a hot tub and seating. But unfortunately the pool is not heated.

We stayed in a cottage. The cottage is very roomy. It includes a bathtub and separate living room with fireplace.

The lobby is tastefully decorated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the parking lot. I would request a cottage versus regular room.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2014

Many positives, but this is an older property in a strange location trying to be more than it is. It is not really a lodge, the cottages are mostly just upgraded hotel rooms, it has a nice pool, but is not really a resort, it is located on the main drag across the street from a children's RR train amusement park, the grounds are well landscaped but the stairs, decks and walkways are very old, deteriorated and in need of replacement, the 2 bars are nice, but small and the menus and food offerings need expansion and the dining room is nice, but nothing elaborate and again, small for the size of the facility. By themselves, these issues are not major but they do add up. I was told this location is a very heavy destination for Marriott Platinum Frequent Guests to use their points with family as it is right in California wine country and this makes it difficult to get your room choices on occasion. Plus those road warriors can be demanding and they probably all claim to know Mr. Marriott personally, so the staff is trained to be extra nice...which they are! Now the positives are much more important than those areas that could stand improvement; the most important is the professionalism and knowledge of the staff. From check-in with a new Marriott position of Elite Coordinator who does everything to make your entry seamless, to the Navigator [old title was Concierge, which I prefer] who all know all the winery locations, tours and all the non-wine attractions in this area of California to the food and beverage staff and servers in all areas to the bellmen, to the valets who wash bug-encrusted windshields on your car, to housekeeping to gardeners all the way down to the maintenance staff who keep the parking area clean and picked up, to security who quickly respond to quests who are too loud and all the way up to the new GM who leads this wonderful group. We had great meals, excellent breakfasts and other than the bars being really busy with meeting folks, good service with drinks. Josh, the sommelier was very knowledgeable and not the type to push you into the most expensive wine, but he certainly knows the local wine scene. Two suggestions-abandon the title cottage and re-label them units in a VILLAGE, it gives more flexibility and is not misleading. Second, is expand the food offerings in the deli bar and try to find additional space to sit in both bars. Maybe the coming renovation will cover these items, but this is still a great location for vacation and business trips.

Room Tip: Website photo is misleading, there is no nearby vineyard.Location is on a busy street and parking lot backs up to commercial properties and a kiddy RR across the street. Inside location away from pool is quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple