“Overpriced”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Brisbane
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Rooms are small and smell. The room freshener provided couldn't quite cope. Pool is supposed to be heated, but was clearly not heated. We booked a deal via Expedia which included free internet, but when we arrived our room didn't have internet. The hotel wasn't too busy so that we were able to have our room changed to one which has wired internet. The breakfast was very basic and staff not very helpful. It is priced like 3 star hotel, but only offers 2 star facilities and service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sylmar, CA
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I booked this trip through Priceline. At the end of the booking process, it gives you important hotel check-in details and states "All rooms will accomodate 2 adults. Bed type requests (king, queen, 2 doubles) or other ie non-smoking or smoking should be requested through your confirmed hotel" which I did. When I called Magic Carpet, the lady at the desk told me that I am booked for 1 bedroom with 1 Queen bed. I told her that that would'nt work since I have 3 kids with me. I asked her if there were available 2 double beds and she said there was one room available for that night but she cannot make arrangements with me and instructed me to have Priceline talk to them. I had issues with Priceline but I guess I have to go to Priceline website to complain about them.

Anyway, since I anticipated being late, I called the hotel in advance and told them I was running late, I told them my name and the guy confirmed 2 double beds. We got there around 10:30 p.m., it was drizzling and my kids were tired. We didn't see other cars where we parked. The guy at the desk gave me a prepared invoice with the additional fee I had to pay for the "upgrade", I questioned him why it was too much and he said he was just told that I had to pay it, what can you do, I just wanted to rest after a long drive! It didn't feel right, I felt that I just got screwed! It didn't end there, we finally got in the room, it was right next to the pool which was nice, but when my kids used the toilet, the water was going up instead of going down, so he said he will transfer us to room 104, it was right next to the office and I asked if there was another room available, he said "no". My kids and I waited with our bags in front of room 104, but he couldn't open the door! So he said, we will get 103 (I thought he said there wasn't any 2 doubles available), hurray! he was able to open the door, guess what, the remote didn't work! Yes, the first night of nightmare finally ended there, but I guess they have been trained to lie so they could get the most from their visitors.

I told my sister who then told my cousins that we are visiting. My cousin Mike, he is really nice felt he had to do something about it because it wasn't right. He took my cousin Jeremy and nephew Tino to the hotel and asked to talk to the manager and they came back with a receipt showing that the additional charges were reversed.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Momof4Sylmar_CA

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 September 2008

My family and I booked this room because of its proximity to CSUMB where my oldest daughter was going to school. After dropping her off we checked into our hotel room with our other two daughters. The room had a muggy smell to it. As we looked around the room, fleas attacked our youngest daughter. Horrified we left the room and addressed our concerns with the manager. He was apologetic saying that someone must have brought a pet in even though there is "No Pet" policy. He upgraded us to a second floor room with queen beds and a balcony. At least we were able to sleep through the night without fear of bug attacks. Obviously, we rose early, packed our bags, and proceeded to check out and continue our trip back home. I personally would not recommend this motel/hotel to any of my family or friends who would like to visit my daughter up north.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Central Valley, CA
Reviewed 26 July 2008

Staying at this facility was a horrible experience. Our first discovery of the evening was finding out that the outlets and light on the main side of the bed went off every 30 minutes if the sensor by the entry door didn't detect motion. While we were awake, we had the back patio door open to let fresh air in as the room had an annoying smell to it. (FYI, we stayed here because Monterey was a last minute stop on our week vacation and this was what we could find open. We thought since it was a Best Western it wouldn't be a bad place to stay.) My husband fell asleep first and as soon as I was ready to sleep, I went to close the door and turn on the air only to discover there was no air conditioning. I then went to plug in my CPAP machine but there was no outlet within reach that wouldn't go off after 30 minutes so I had to wake up my husband in order to unplug the clock and sleep on his side of the bed. Of course I did that after tossing and turning in a hot room for a few hours without the use of the CPAP machine. Oh, of course no experience is complete without the surprise condom wrapper-located between the bedspread and blanket. Exactly how well do the rooms get cleaned? At 3:30 in the morning I finally decided enough is enough and called the desk. After the manager was curt about being woke up at 3:30 in the morning-booo hooo-they did bring up a fan so we could close the door and drapes. By the way, after listening to the area "night noises" for awhile, it became apparent that the area the hotel is in is questionable. The icing on the cake was a terrible mattress. I wanted to just leave at 3:30 and head north but exhaustion made the choice for me and we tried to sleep the rest of the night. This was by far the worst hotel experience we've ever had and regardless of the price, I'd sleep in my car next time at a Walmart.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank MsDmarie
santa rosa
Reviewed 25 August 2007

we found poop in our room. i dont care if it was just dog poop. the staff was put out when we asked for extra blankets when we were told there was no roll away beds. one morning the front desk person didnt even show up until 10:30 a.m. the place is dirty and is in dire need for new employees and a remodel.

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — absolutely everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank jntfam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
1.6 km away
1.8 km away
Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
5.2 km away
Best Western Plus Victorian Inn

Been to Magic Carpet Lodge? Share your experiences!