“The Bay, the ocean and sea creatures, as well! It doesn't get better!”
Review of Schooner Freda B

Full Moon Sail on the San Francisco Bay
Ranked #2 of 40 Tours in Sausalito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Schooner Freda B sails out of historic downtown Sausalito, CA. This beautiful 80 foot schooner hosts a myriad of public sails; local history, Giants Games in McCovey Cove, ecological, sunset and city lights sails, to name just a few. The Schooner Freda B offers a local beers and wines bar. We are also well regarded for epicurean private sails, like our lobster feed on Angel Island, Giants Games in McCovey Cove, wine club tastings and corporate team building on the magnificent San Francisco Bay. San Francisco departures available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children
Reviewed 19 April 2018

Our Sunday morning EcoSail, complete with a very knowledgeable naturalist who provided great information about San Francisco Bay and beyond, was a great experience. We've lived in the Bay Area a very long time and still found the experience of seeing familiar places from a ship-level perspective absolutely wonderful. We were graced by seeing porpoises and a humpback whale after sailing out beyond the Golden Gate Bridge. (Whale sightings are pure serendipity, however.) The staff members were attentive and personable. The hot beverages and snacks for purchase were a nice touch on a very chilly April morning. We highly recommend this for folks wanting to see our beautiful area from a fine boat!

Freda B, Manager at Schooner Freda B, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Thank you for the great review. The Sunday morning eco sail is one of our most popular sails for both locals and visitors, so glad you were able to join us. You may be interested in one of our Full Moon Sails, a real local favorite! We hope to welcome you back aboard Schooner Freda B in the near future!

All reviews
"full moon"
"cruise"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The experience on the Freda B was delightful. It was a lovely evening and we were able to go under full sail. It was nice having drinks and snacks on board. One of our group got to hoist one of the sails.

Freda B, Manager at Schooner Freda B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Thank you for your review and kind words, Rebecca! We hope to welcome you aboard again in the future!

Reviewed 21 November 2017

We bought the tickets at a school auction and after reading the great reviews decided to get two more tickets for our kids. It was an awesome evening with the boat less than full, fairly calm waters and clear skies. The sail under the Golden Gate Bridge and along the headlands allowed us to see marine life and then back to the bay to watch the sun go down and the SF lights come on. A great night was had by my family and everyone else on board! I wasn't sure where to park and ended up at the wrong end of the lot by the Seafood Peddler. It is best to turn in by the tourist information office and then go in the lot with a left turn.

Hi Andrea, Thank you for joining us last fall aboard Freda B! So nice to hear that you and your family enjoyed yourselves. We appreciate the tips and highlights that you included for other guests as well. We hope to sail with you again in the future and please encourage your school to request a donation again this year, we love to support schools and all types non-profits.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Sailed aboard the Freda B for the Sunday Sunset Sail on October 8, 2017. The trip was as good as it possibly could have gotten.

It was suggested at the Freda B's website guests arrive at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

Promptly and as advertised at 5:45, the Freda B's Hospitality and Sales Director, Marina O'Neill, greeted her guests and advised the orderly boarding process.

Once aboard and settled in which took less than ten minutes, Captain Paul Dines provided a safety orientation, an overview of the Freda B's amenities which included cabin areas for those desiring access and introduced his very capable and friendly crew.

We cast lines several minutes before the scheduled 6:00 departure time as all scheduled guests were accounted for and ready to set sail.

We enjoyed clear weather with a brisk SFO breeze, a perfect combination for a sunset sail. Views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Angel Island, Alcatraz, SFO skyline and the Oakland Bay Bridge were all stunning. There was a magnificent sunset framed by the Golden Gate Bridge and as we sailed on into the early evening the lights of San Francisco came up and gleamed across the Bay.

I hadn't investigated the course the Freda B would sail in planning my trip. I was expecting a sail to the Golden Gate, along the northern edge of SFO to the Oakland Bay Bridge past Alcatraz then return. Happily, that did not happen. We sailed back and forth across the area of the Golden Gate with a brisk breeze propelling the vessel. The course we sailed provided much better panoramic views the the Bay and its environs. I couldn't have been more pleased.

The Freda B's website offers excellent assistance for first-time guests. Probably the best advice offered there is to check the weather forecast immediately prior to the time and date of a planned sail and to dress in layers. I actually had a total of four layers of upper body clothing with me as I had the expectation of a cool, windy evening. I ended up offering a weatherproof windbreaker I had available and didn't need for myself to a fellow guest, a visitor from the Philippines, who was not acclimated to the cool, windy SFO Bay evening weather. Head cover is also a good plan suggested at the vessel's website. The crew offered blankets to guests who desired them at no charge.

Snacks and beverages are available for purchase on board and crew tips are encouraged. I had no problem with tipping whatsoever. Having just completed an early dinner at the nearby Spinnaker (Yes. I will have provided an 'excellent' review for the restaurant too.), I didn't feel the need for a snack or beverage aboard the Freda B. Still, I was inclined to offer a generous crew tip for their friendliness and assistance in boarding and leaving the vessel.

The acid test for my experience aboard the Freda B? Yes. I plan to go again with my wife and grandchildren. And soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 October 2017

I've had the pleasure of day sailing on Freda B a few times over the years and each voyage has been a pleasure. She's a gracious, remarkable and impeccably maintained craft that is oh so comfortable to sail. Her skipper/owner Paul is warm, knowledgable, entertaining and so classic txt I'd wager he's a member of the actors guild! The crew never skips a beat - professional, personable and pleasant. And the catering never fails. Even her location at her Sausalito slip could't be better, affording an experience of this most colorful of harbors and relatively quick access to the Bay and Golden Gate - tho allocate a few extra minutes for parking just in case. Simply put - Freda B gets FIVE STARS all the way around.

Thank you for the review! We hope to welcome you aboard Schooner Freda B in 2018!