All reviewswine and cheesemagnolia roomsan franciscoyogurtfew minutes walkon site parkingthere is no air conditioningcontinental breakfast in the morningspacious roomthe main dragbay bridgeper dayeach eveningwine countrylate afternoonmichaelalder
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Sausalito is a town that could pass for a Mediterranean enclave, and The Gables Inn as a pensione, hidden from the thoroughfare, but just a half a block away from the breath-taking waterfront views of the Golden Gate and San Francisco. As you enter, you are greeted by the rich wood interior of the charming lobby and by the friendly and extraordinarily helpful staff. The rooms are wonderfully appointed with luxurious bedding, comfortable chairs, flat screen TVs (which are easily accessed without all of the high tech fussy nonsense), and plush towels. There is a small brick patio between the two buildings, and a nice deck for sipping morning tea, or imbibing in afternoon wine. The hotel provides a relaxed setting in a town so desirable its visitors come year round from all over the world.

The rooms do vary; ask for one with a view if possible.

There is no one on site after 11 pm. So when I lost my room key, I had to call an emergency number, but this is what impressed me most about the hotel. The off-site but on-duty person cheerfully appeared within five minutes of my call and was one of the most courteous of hotel staffers I've ever encountered anywhere. While it was well past midnight, he showed me to my room, cut another key, and made sure everything was okay. That's service, above and beyond.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. We stayed in Room 104. It faced Princess Street and was low enough that you could hear the street noise, but the room was still very lovely. Next time, I will probably try for something on the second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DabblesInFun
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is a fantastically situated hotel. One needs to be aware that not all rooms have a great view so when making a booking ask about the room you would want to have. Room I had (#302) had some view of the harbor but I think there are rooms with a better view. The stay was very pleasant. The person on reception desk was friendly and suggested this great Thai place away
from touristy areas to go to and pick up dinner. That was quite useful since I had arrived rather
late in the day. Keep in mind that after 10 pm there would be no one at the front desk.
Rooms were comfortable. The location is wonderful. I truly enjoyed being there. will be back
again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Hemant K
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Could not have selected a better place to stay in Sausalito. Beautiful room, great breakfast, and amazing evening wine and cheese cocktail hour (and a half). This was out of the ordinary with unique artisan chesses and many many assorted unexpected selections. Without a doubt the best cocktail hour experienced at a hotel/Inn. Sissy was on duty the evenings we stayed and she couldn't have been nicer or more authentic. She went above and beyond in any request and made our stay truly pleasurable. The Gables Inn was the best stop on our journey up the PCH and a wonderful way to end our California Vacation. Thank You!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eliot60805
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Gorgeous comfortable room. Easy to find, close to everything, fantastic location! Quiet and clean. Sissy at the front desk was fantastic! Take advantage of wine and cheese happy hour! Great wines, cheese, strawberries, nuts, olives! Love Sausalito! Will definitely return! Thank you Gables Inn!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raoul L
Reviewed 5 February 2014

From the pleasant, personal greeting from Sissy at the front desk on arrival to the final breakfast, our two night stay (in two different rooms) was a wonderful experience. After driving all day, the complimentary wine and cheese offerings was a welcome treat. The public area area in which it was presented was comfortably furnished with a very warm feel. The guests we met over a glass of wine were friendly and interesting. Sissy joined in the conversation and seemed to show sincere interest in the people who staying there.

The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. Bathrooms were both generous in size with above average toiletries. Breakfast was extensive and well beyond a "continental" one.

The location is ideal: in the center of town and easy to walk to restaurants and shops. We spent two days in San Francisco and the drive through town to the Golden Gate Bridge is always a joy and never gets old. And that's from someone who used to live in Sausalito.

All in all the stay was enjoyable and memorable. On our next visit to SF, we will definitely return to The Gables Inn.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple