All reviewsearly checksan diegohot waterplace to staymanteo
Reviewed 10 January 2018

While Choice hotels are a budget chain to begin with, this property was pitiful. At my request my secretary booked this location because of its proximity to my El Cajon customer, but I was disappointed in the experience from the get go. As a Choice Platinum customer I asked for a discounted rate, but the front desk attendant said that was not possible because I booked my reservations through a third party. I had booked through the Choice website, not a third party. I eventually got the rate changed after complaining to a different attendant the next day. "Breakfast" again was well below par even for a Choice property: Coffee, juice, and a lump of carbs; not even a hard-boiled egg? Got to my room the second night: no cups, no tissue, incomplete room cleaning. No elevator, paper thin walls (had to change rooms because of the guy hacking next door). I would have changed hotels but could not find anything within a 20 minute drive. Will definitely not be a repeat guest.

Room Tip: Stay on top floor if you can hoof it up the stairs. The pool looked nice and clean, but I did not jump in.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Good nice neat quiet location near all included decent mirror safe fride solid wooden install hangers med/leg tele roomy bath room full bed tidy not super busy carpet with marble edged desk bedposts drawers tub railings also sweet b fast ok micro too

Stayed: December 2017
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Why we stayed there I still don't know, but I followed my crowd. I attend a bi-annual event at the Gillespie Airport, and we try to find a clean, quiet place to sleep. We don't spend much time in our rooms so we need just the bare minimum. However I don't think asking for something clean is too much.....

I booked a room at this motel about a month ago, and then called 2 days before check-in to remind them that I needed a non-smoking room. The stale smell of cigarette smoke literally makes me sick. When I checked-in they said they didn't have any non-smoking rooms - great! :(

Being rather tired, ready for bed and unwilling to argue with the older lady at the desk who couldn't speak intelligible English anyway, I took the room they had - what a mistake. Opening the door my first thought was "crack house"......the floor was dirty, the comforter on the bed had cigarette burns, the two pillows looked slept on, and bathroom fan trim had fallen down bringing all the dust bunnies (more dust monsters) to liter the bathtub and floor. The bathroom vanity counters were chipped and broken light switches were loose, and the old window air conditioner sounded like a jet engine starting up ......but wait for the real kicker: the room had the most disgusting, stale cigarette smoke smell I had ever experienced. It couldn't have been worse, but given that the motel was full, I couldn't even ask for a better room!

In the morning I complained to the same lady on the desk as at check-in the night before - it was like talking to the wall. She said she would talk to the manager and he/she would call me during the day. That NEVER happened, of course. That evening when I arrived back at the motel, I complained to the same lady on the night shift and demanded to speak to the manager. She reluctantly called the manager on his cell phone and attempted to relate the situation to him. Finally I asked for the phone to given the pertinent details. At least the manager said the would move me to a room that they had that was no-smoking, as one guest had not checked in.

The new room wasn't much better, but at least did not smell of smoke. The lady on the desk called me on the room phone, and then knocked on my door, both communications to let me know that "I had to move tomorrow, as the room was booked." I explained that I booked a non-smoking room as well, and that this was her problem. Not sure she understood the underlying message there......

That night was the worst I had ever had, anywhere! The biker gang that rolled in around 10 PM spent the rest of the night riding their bikes with loud pipes up and down the side access of the motel. Did not sleep a wink. Of course they had to make noise, laugh and drink for most of the night. My complaint to the lady on the front desk......well you know.

The old adage says: you get what you pay for. Sooooooo true. In this case, I got a whole lot more: very dirty room, a disgusting smell, and lots of noise. I wouldn't board my dogs at this place.......stay away.

Room Tip: Don't even try...........go to the Best Western down the street, or some other hotel/motel near by.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Frito777
Reviewed 2 September 2017

The hotel staff was friendly and the location was super convenient. Part of the trip was to have a hitch put on my car and this location was convenient to the Trolley station. There are also a ton of restaurants close by. Room was clean but I wish I could have plugged in my computer to watch a movie. Did not seem to be a way to change the input on the TV.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side could be noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

We were very pleased with front desk personnel!! Everything was as reservation.. will come back!! Went through Choice Hotel.com.. They went over and above helping us. The location is perfect for us because it is in the center of things and easy to get to.

Stayed: July 2017