“Wait, sit down, eat with the locals”

Santa Rosa Seafood Raw Bar & Grill
Ranked #41 of 572 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Not a white tablecloth kind of place. That's why we like it.
PARKING: a few spots in front of the building, otherwise park around back. We always find a spot.
SETTING: a few long high tables that you may or may not have to share, a few low tables and a counter looking into the kitchen. Also a small terrace out front, screened off from the street by planters.
RESERVATIONS: none (but call if you have 6 or more, it might work)
WAIT: we almost always wait; you have to gauge how long when you show up
SERVICE: it's a friendly wait staff, and they recognize you. If there's a problem, they make it right.
FOOD: this is FRESH seafood. They have fish, oysters, chowder, and a lot more. They make what we think are the best chips in town.
FAVORITES: Petrale sole, always with a light touch, linguine with clams, or the really light and crisp fish and chips.
BEER & WINE: several tap beers, (maybe all local?), and a very good selection of wines by the glass (or bottle) at reasonable prices.
OVERALL: this is the kind of place that you would imagine is run by fishermen, because that's what it is (okay, maybe they weren't out on the boat, but they're down at the docks every day, and their store is very popular). An informal, busy place (don't expect to see carpeting). The food is the focus. They take pride in their reputation and it shows.
We stop in once a month or so. It's always fun to go there. It's a family place. The owner is very friendly and glad to see you, and the wait staff and the kitchen really hustle. They work hard and you don't mind giving them your money.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

We have used Santa Rosa Seafood's retail shop and their Napa Valley Farmer's Market stands with great satisfaction for years; but a Saturday lunch at the Bar and Grill was a flop. The chowder my wife buys retail was, in the restaurant, gloopy, as if thickened with flour; my coleslaw had more dressing than cabbage and the Chardonnay--that was billed as crisp, done in stainless steel--tasted of good ole Log Cabin maple syrup. My fish and chips were OK but did not hold a candle to those, for example, at Fish in Sausalito. Our server was cheerful and efficient.

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

The reviews were amazing and so we went and ignored the look. However we paid $113 for crabcakes, fish tacos, clam chowder and oysters and chips. This dinner was only for 4 people. Extremely disappointed. Was the food good it was ok so not what I paid for. I could have had a wonderful steak or Italian dinner for that $$$$. Need to correct your $$$$$$

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Looking for a local none chain we came across this gem. This is an extension of the seafood store next door. Not very classy and only 29 seats but the food that comes out is the food of the Gods of a five star restaurant. Started out with Blackberry blood orange house made lemonade, New England chowder was on special with smoked salmon in it so creamy and tasty. I got the cioppino which was a perfect tomato sauce with garlic and herbs with mussels, clams, prawns and the most tender scallop. The service was exceptional and fast. We did have a bit of a hard time finding parking and can imagine there being a wait when they get busy

Reviewed 20 September 2017

My friend and I arrived just before the lunch-hour rush. (I treat her to lunch whenever she takes me to a doctor appointment.) I am handicapped, needing a 4-wheeled walker. The ramp leading into the restaurant was blocked off. (The ramp is in an area which seems to be used for over-flow or weekend business.) We were asked to sit at a two-person table that was closest to the sidewalk/street - no problem except for the fact it is on a downhill slope so the entire meal I was rolling towards sidewalk/street and having to readjust my walker continually. A few minutes later 3 of the 4-person tables were being used by couples only, not four people.
I ordered a pasta dish that included several seafood items in the sauce. One of the items (Muscles) I asked to have omitted from the plate. Guess what was looking at me when my plate arrived - muscles. (Luckily me friend liked them.)
My friend ordered a fried combination platter. Her 2 pieces of fried fish were SO
greasy that she removed the breading in order to eat them. The rest of her platter was OK, but not great.
My fork fell on the ground as the waiter was walking by. He picked it up and just walked on by. My friend gave me her fork to use. We never received the extra napkins we asked for and needed - especially since my neighbor was eating her food with her fingers.
We asked for extra lemon, It arrived just before we were finished eating.
We left feeling it would be a while before we return. (Probably going to "Betty's Fish and Chips" if we want seafood.)
There is very limited parking next to the restaurant and some of the parking spots are hard to maneuver into (in front of what used to be the stained glass studio) There is a dirt parking lot further north of the restaurant that is shared with an oriental market.