“Not sure why this is a Bestern Western Plus location.”

Best Western Plus Garden Inn
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Mendocino, California
“Not sure why this is a Bestern Western Plus location.”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stay at BW properties over 30 nights a year and usually chose a Plus property as they are a cut above the regular BW's. In this case I was unsure why this property deserved that designation. It was OK, but really had nothing Plus about it.
This location is more like an old motor inn, single story with a nicely landscaped central space. The rooms were clean, the WIFI worked well and the shower head was very good.
The two main issues I had were the lack of free breakfast and just plain rude service at check-in. As to the first, there is a small restaurant on the premises where you can purchase breakfast. This is the only BW I have stayed in where breakfast was not included in the price of the room. We did not eat at the on premise restaurant so I cannot comment on it.
As for the service, the women who checked me in was downright rude to the couple ahead of me and curt with me. The couple ahead of me asked about local places to eat and if she had a recommendation. She turned the receipt she had given them to the other side and said, " they are all here", that was the end of the conversation....
When I checked in I could not remember my license number which was required on the form. I said I did not know it and would go check, she said "I don't really care what it is just make something up". OK, I had to ask myself then why am I providing it in the first place?
The neighborhood it is in is mostly car dealerships and brake shops, not particularly a great place to stay. I am sure there are better places to stay in Santa Rosa with better locations and friendlier service.
Overall, I repeat my question, why would BW make this a plus property?

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We stayed at the Best Western for 2 nights in October 2011. We found the rooms to be large, clean and well equipped however our room could do with modernising. Also the only safe you get is in main reception which I always find to be pain. The breakfast room is functional to say the least. Once you've convinced yourself to go in you will ftheft hat the food was good quality and reasonably priced. Kids enjoyed the Micky Mouse pancakes and the staff made my kids feel very welcome.

If you want basic, clean accomodation without any frills then this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2011
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Much worse than your average Best Western. Where do I begin? The auxiliary input on the front of the TV was actually disabled by the staff, unusable even if you have a universal remote. The pools were closed to "maintenance" during my entire stay. The air conditioner was very noisy and barely worked. The sheets were thin as paper and left me shivering in bed at night and in the mornings. Also, I was put in a smoking room for some reason, even though there appeared to be non-smoking rooms available all around me... so my room stunk of tobacco, as well.

The restaurant is almost uneatable - I ordered yogurt and fruit, and got a huge bowl of plain yogurt with dole canned peaches dumped on top! I might as well have bought breakfast from the gas station across the street.

The front desk staff was very obnoxious, calling our room early in the morning with confusing and misinformed complaints! Imagine being woken up by an angry person yelling at you on the phone, when you have done nothing wrong! Also, the staff was insistent that a maid come in and clean our room. I have never had maid service literally forced upon me by a hotel before.

Then there's the constant loud-subwoofer music emanating from god knows where, the nearby auto-shop doing loud auto-shop things, and the drug addicts who showed up at my door TWICE thinking it was their room, before going back to their room and talking loudly all night and through the next day.

It was not worth the $100+ per night price, by any means.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Jared I
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I have never been treated so poorly in a hotel in my entire life. Old woman who works the night shift is extremely rude and even called me in the morning to harass me for having the nerve to decline housekeeping and sleep in. There were meth heads who liked to party until 7am next door to me the entire time. I never bother with these review sites but this cannot go unspoken. This establishment is terrible. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank HotelExpert1970
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stopped here, driving from the coast toward the Sierra's. We basically picked it out of our AAA travel guide, put it in the GPS and arrived on their doorstep, tired and ready to rest. The desk clerk was friendly and offered us a nice room upstairs, away from the road. It was a lovely room, quite large for a BW in the middle of town. Freshly decorated, the king bed was very comfortable, we had granite countertops in the sink area, which is in a separate dressing area. Nice to have a place to spread out the suitcases and hang up clothes. The bathroom was rather stark, but spacious.
It was surprisingly quiet here and we slept well. We had breakfast in the Garden Cafe, located in the center of their parking lot. Breakfast is not included in the room fee, but the prices there are reasonable. Limited choices, but cooked to order and good.

Room Tip: No elevators to the second floor rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple