“Excellent food, great value”

Walter Hansel Wine & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Walter Hansel Wine & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 582 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2017

We were on vacation and came to this restaurant for a couples dinner. We were first impressed with the wine menu. They had a combinations of some that we knew and liked a few other we didn't know. We asked for a recommendation and got a great one. We were pleasantly surprised at the low prices on the wine. It looked like they were at the same price that we would pay at the winery. I'm not sure how they do that, but it's definitely a great value. They started with bread and an aperitif. Then we had the special ham covered roasted peaches. We then has the cesear salads which were very large (I suggest you share one if you want to enjoy all of dinner). I had the special scallops and my husband had the burger with fries. Both were wonderful. We were too full for dessert, but they then had a free dinner drink. Just a perfect finish. One note, that it was a hot day, and they don have air conditioning. We were warm, but still ok. Overall, a wonderful dinner. We'll be back.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I'll be honest, when we pulled up into the parking lot, I had my doubts. It does look like a diner. Nothing against diners, but it wasn't what we were looking for.

And then we went inside. Whoever trained the wait staff did a wonderful job. They were all friendly, informed and unobtrusive. Really great at their job.

We drank 4 different glasses of wine, all recommended by the servers, and each one was delicious and went perfectly with the food.

And the food! A classic, mostly French menu, and cooked to perfection as well as beautifully presented. I had the foie gras and the duck, and my husband the beet salad and the halibut. Look at the menu to see each dish in detail but they were all delicious.

I'm truly sorry that I couldn't manage dessert.

This restaurant is a must visit if you're in the area.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

We were staying in Sebastopol after a day of wine tasting. OpenTable brought us to Walter Hansel and we could not have been happier. It is a fine French bistro hidden in an upscale diner in farm country. Everything was delicious. The service was great. It was a little noisy on Saturday night, but I am okay with people enjoying their dinners.

Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

This was really a pleasant surprise
In the middle of nowhere is this place and they serve Excellent food and good wines
Servers Are great
You Will not be dissapointed
Thomas

1  Thank henriksen2
Reviewed 9 May 2017

My review is to Just go there. Date night. Leave the kids home. It is a like a trip back in time but with the best meal ever. Rack of Lamb rocks it but I went for the Hanger Steak and Was Amazed. I will be Back on my next trip to the area. Staff was so nice ,they know their art which today is refreshing. The kitchen does not let them down. Wine was more than enough to select from, This is a one of a Kind Restaurant you will feel very at home at and welcome.