“A Historical Gem & Step Back in Time”
Review of Glen Tavern Inn

Glen Tavern Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Santa Paula
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I decided to go to the Glen Tavern Inn to take my daughter on a Mother/Daughter weekend.
The coziness of the decor looked so inviting, and finding out the history and it being 100 years old, I thought this would be the perfect getaway not far from home.
The added mystery of the paranormal activities seemed pretty cool, too.
It absolutely did not disappoint!! What an AMAZING Inn.

This is not a hotel, it's truly a step back in history. The minute you walk in, you are surrounded by its warmth, the historical articles and posters on the wall, the old fashioned lighting. I loved it immediately. In fact, I am writing this review on our first night, and haven't even eaten at their on-site Italian restaurant which looked so quaint and fabulous. It's like you are staying at someone's home.
Some of the guests simply took their appetizers and bottle of wine and sat on the couch by the fire all night.
The Inn was built in 1911 because those coming in to Santa Paula, California for the Citrus and Gold by train needed somewhere to stay.

Our only problem: We had to take our 10 month old Wheaten Terrier and being her first time sleeping at a hotel, I was concerned. It was absolutely NO problem to them.

I found out the Inn only charged a nominal $10 charge per night extra for her, and put us in one of the animal friendly rooms with tile floors. We are staying in the King Jacuzzi room which just has a nice, deep jacuzzi bathtub. Very nice bathroom, old doors.
Our puppy is now fast asleep and happy as a clam.

Houdini, John Wayne, Rin Tin Tin, and others have stayed here. It also used to be a brothel, and the many bad things that come with gambling, and prostitution such as cheating, and murder have occurred here. Many stories to be told.

I walked myself up the stairs to the second floor, and then the third where Houdini stayed, with no one around.
I have to say that honestly, I had chills all over my body and a heavy pit in my chest. There is no question,
this Inn has a different feeling then your usual bed and breakfast, or fancy hotel. The energy of it's past inhabitants is indeed there as far as I'm concerned. Not scary, just intense.

I am planning on coming back and bringng my husband. For those who don't like the paranormal aspect of it, you need not worry. This Inn is very romantic the minute you step through the doors, and can be a very nice weekend away, or stop through town on the way North or South. I am very happy I found this place.

Room Tip: Our room with our dog was 108, and it is perfectly quaint and nice.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Took 30 friends with us this weekend. We were treated like VIP's and had a great retreat! Fabulous service, rooms and food.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I had been looking for someplace special to take my husband for his 50th birthday. Imagine my delight when I discovered The Glen Tavern Inn in quaint Santa Paula. A perfect weekend getaway from where we live in L.A. I was able to book a large, airy room that actor John Wayne had once stayed in. The perfect surprise for my hubby who happens to be a huge John Wayne fan. Our room had a gorgeous view of the hotel's front lawn and quaint Mill Street beyond.

I must also mention the hotel's amazing restaurant, Enzo's. Our meal and the service were fantastic! Inside of Enzo's is The Houdini Lounge (Harry Houdini is also a former guest!). I had a martini concoction called "The Tavern Temptress" while my husband chose "The Steve McQueen" (ALSO a former celebrity guest at the Glen Tavern!!!). Okay, so maybe we're movie nerds, but I think anyone would be impressed by this place and the amazing people who have visited it in the past.

Great value, excellent service and beautiful, old-fashioned surroundings. I would highly recommend this lovely old hotel to anyone who has the good sense to appreciate history, Hollywood or otherwise. We will most definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The Glen Tavern Inn is truly a magical place. The hotel and staff are all top notch. My wife and I had a marvelous time. It was like being transported to an earlier time when service and hospitality meant something. The staff went out of their way to make our stay special in every way. The hotel itself is amazing- a gem from an earlier time. We can't wait to make another trip to Santa Paula to stay at this one of a kind hotel. A+ all the way!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great in their own way!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Came her and none of my outlets in the room worked told the desk he gave me an extension cord which fell apart and exposed hot wires when I unplugged it I told the desk he gave me another cord then my dads room was in the same condition the pool isn't there when I said its listed with one he shrugged his shoulders and said sorry and went back behind the desk his partner moved us to another room the phone was broke the tub didn't drain and the shower was like a pressure washer I said something he replied with and attitude ok what do u want me to do I said fix it I'm paying for a room he said yeah ill look into it and when I checked in I had to walk through someone's wedding party to check in and had to listen to Spanish music all night from the section 8 apts right next door will never stay or recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011
22.2 km away
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn
13.7 km away
Best Western La Posada Motel

Been to Glen Tavern Inn? Share your experiences!