All reviews santa monica pier great location stay there again rooms are clean mold promenade
Reviewed 30 October 2017

The Ocean Lodge is too expensive for what it is. I paid over 200USD for a cheap motel-room. The "hotel" has very little to offer but it's great location. Here are the reasons:

- Strong traffic noise
- Carpet with big stains
- Bath-room a long shot from being modern
- Very little water pressure
- Reception desk sometimes closed during daytime
- No heating
- Few electrical outlets

Room Tip: As far away form the street as possible
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Average hotel with a great location near Santa Monica Pier. Parking is available but it is very tight; I had difficulty maneuvering through the narrow parking lot. It was also very loud, as the room was right near a major street.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2017

This hotel is in a great spot, as it is close to the beach. But the doors, windows, and insulation leave a lot to be desired to keep out the noise in such a busy area! And the AC unit in my room was so loud I had to keep it off. For me that wasn't an issue, but if you get hot easily it would have been a major problem. I also was traveling by myself, and the door to the room felt less than secure. It's Santa Monica, so it's expensive and this hotel had no extras. There was still a pod in the coffee pot from the previous tenant, and even though there was a cleaning tape around the toilet seat, there was still toilet paper in the toilet when I opened the lid. Thankfully there was a safe, because when you leave you can only lock the door handle. And when you are inside, you can lock the deadbolt, but the door itself didn't seem that sturdy. The staff was friendly even after I got in late at night.

Room Tip: If you can, try to request a room as far away from the street as possible, and on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Just what I imagined for a small beachy hotel, great access to the pier, beach and wonderful restaurants. The parking is not the best, room was comfortable and just enough since we only planned on sleeping there.
It's a small, cheaper hotel surrounded by more expensive ones and we were able to snag the last room available at the last minute.
The only negative was there wasn't an iron in the room and the number to reach someone after hours didn't work.
Other than that we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Booked two rooms for two nights each, received the confirmation email and receipt. Two days later, our plans changed, so I called to cancel. Mind you, we were still three weeks out from our stay. The person who claimed to be the manager claimed it was a non-refundable room, and that we would be charged $250 per room. NO WHERE on the receipt or confirmation stated that this was a non-refundable reservation! In fact, other home webpage, it clearly states "free cancellation." I would understand a charge in cases of less than 24-48 hours; but this was three weeks out! Filed a dispute with our credit card company. Appears that this is not the first time this hotel has shady business practices.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
OceanLodgeSM, Director of Sales at Ocean Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Dear Guest, We object to your characterization of our business practices and principles nevertheless hope everything worked out and that ultimately you had a great vacation.
To clarify : Ocean Lodge Santa Monica Beach Hotel is a unique California retro boutique hotel in high demand in the most desirable area on the Ocean Avenue strip. We offer both a standard fully refundable Free Cancellation Room Rate as well as a non-refundable Room rate (Clearly Identified globally on the Internet & our Web Site ) with Savings of up to 10% and more. This has become a very popular with guests who have committed reservation plans and create a win-win for everybody, "we know you're committed and Guest's receive quality lodging with savings of up to 50% off comparable local pricing which ever pricing plans they choose. Thank you