“Good overall experience, can be a hit or miss depending what you order”
Review of JiRaffe Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: 5th Street
Description: JiRaffe offers market directed rustic California/French food with seasonally inspired classic cocktails in a casually chic environment. The service is relaxed yet articulate and as elegant as the coastal community of Santa Monica.
Los Angeles, California
“Good overall experience, can be a hit or miss depending what you order”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Jiraffe has a limited menu but it is quality over quantity. I give it 3.5 stars, but just to be nice I rounded up.

They serve fresh delicious food, the only downside is it is pricey.
I ordered a 3 courses and my friend ordered 3 courses as well + soup of the day.

I had crab cake which was delicious but the portion was tiny for the price,
My friend had duck confit which is supposedly also an appetizer but was a huge portion almost on par with a main dish and I wish I ordered it because it was amazing!
I had ravioli which was mediocore and my friend had a steak which was good but not great. I had ice cream sandwich for desert which was simple, cute and good. My friend ordered their chocolate cake which was delish but sort of heavy, but if you are a chocolate lover def go for that.

Overall it was a good experience the food quality was good, the dishes can be a hit or miss depending on what you get.

• Visited January 2012

San Diego
“First time, will not be the last”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Tuna tartare.... out of this world. Trout with spinach was good but the veggies around the fish looked and tasted frozeny.... that took some points to what could have been a memorable dinner. A bottle of Rioja made the night though. It was outstanding (Cune 2007 I think)

Visited March 2012
Delray BEach, Florida, USA
“A Santa Monica Gem!”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Having gone to this restaurant for the first time about 3 years, as it was recommended by friends in teh Santa Monica area, my most recent trip was definitely a much anticipated destination!

Knowing the restaurant is already popular, we had booked reservations for 4 about 5 monthes prior to our visit--am not saying it is neccessary, but definitely is worth doing because they do book up!!

We were seated and rapdily approached by our highly qualified server Allyson, who explained the specials of the evening and got our cocktail order. I rarely will ever note the bus person, but even the bus staff is attentive and noted that our table had wobble and iimediatley repaired it while we were sitting there. But was quite quick to serve us the wonderful bread basket, a combination of pumpernickle with raisins, or anolive bread, and all the artisan breads are truly delicious!!! The staff is quite professional and our server took our order and we all ordered appetizers, and our entrees. Once you receive your wiine or cocktail or beverage, afer the order is taken you are presented with the amuse bouche selection of the evening, which on our evening, was a Mushroom Cappucino. A savory mushroom soup with a cream froth served in little cups for you to enjoy with your cocktals! It was outstanding!

For our appetizers, one of the specials of thee vening, or "Hugo's Soup du jour" was a French Onion Soup. Non traditional in the fact it was made with a white wine base and was not served with the cheese over the top, but instead a cheesy crostini, in this very light broth, and carmelized onions, but a nice added suprise was the small cubes of filet mignon added to the soup! This was an unusal soup in the fact that everyone has had a traditional French Onion, but this one was unique, in that it had a sweetness to the soup itself which may not appeal to everyone. As for me, I had a Roasted Organic Beet Salad wth carmelized Walnuts and Goat cheese---this is outstanding and the presentation is wonderful!

For Entrees, I had the Filet of Beef on a Corn Confit abnd Roasted Ancho Chili Sauce. One of our other guests had the Carmalized Pork Chop with Smoked Bacon and Spiced Apple Chutney, and another had the Seafood Risotto Milaniase, All commented on how much they enjoyed their dinners!!

If you are looking for a restaurant, where you can feel that you are somewhere specual, this is theh place, I can not reccomend this restaurant enough and we are already planning our next visit their when we are in california.

• Visited February 2012
Sydney
“Classy place, good food and enjoyable experience”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Came here on our last night in Santa Monica after also trying out Blue Plate Oysterette and Zengo. This place was more upmarket and a nice experience.

We were given a taster of mushroom soup which was very nice. Can't remember the starters we had but our steaks were very good and washed down with a nice bottle of red.

Would have expected it to be busier as we enjoyed our visit here and recommend it to others.

• Visited November 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“come for the food, stay for the blood orange cosmo”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I like the food at JiRaffe. I've tried many of the dishes there. But the thing that draws me back is the blood orange cosmopolitan. They only have the drink when the oranges are in season, so now I call ahead to see if they are on the menu. If not, I might skip JiRaffe to sample some of SM's other restaurants, but if they are on the menu, that's where I am headed!

Visited June 2011