“Another excellent evening”
Review of Tar and Roses

Tar and Roses
Reserve with OpenTable
Tar and Roses is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 714 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Price range: USD 15 - USD 35
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: SE Corner of 6th Street
Description: Centered around a wood burning oven, Tar & Roses serves up farmers market dishes with global influences.
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Tough choice between Rustic Canyon and Tar & Roses when we pass thru on our trips to Europe. Tar & Roses is closer to the waterfront hotels, so we tend to go there most often. Never disappointed.

First courses like Ricotta gnocchi with asparagus and oxtail dumplings are perfectly prepared.

We usually share a fish for the main course, with some sides of baby carrots or seasonal vegetables.

Favorite dessert is still Strawberry crostata.

Service is very good without being intrusive.

Highly recommended

Reviewed 29 August 2017

This is one of the best places to dine in LA. Certainly not the most expensive even though high end. Every dish was inventive and beautifully presented. Even vegetarians loved the Cauliflower and mushroom dishes - both spectacular. Duck breast with a barley risotto was also very good. About $50 per person with a glass of wine.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

This was our first trip to Santa Monica and our first evening was at Tar and Roses.
What a wonderful evening, the food was delicious, excellent presentation and each plate included fresh ingredients and flavours
Our server Paige was friendly and she was very informative and helped us select different choices.
Tar and Roses was one of our favourite meals on this trip.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Ok, here's my only "criticism"- the small plates and vegetables were so good (and we ordered so many), that we didn't make it to the entrees!! We had to wait for our table but staff was quick to bring us something to drink. We were fortunate to be seated on the patio- lovely! Our server was attentive and helpful, even when we were indecisive, especially with their wines by the glass! I would not hesitate to recommend this place and only gave it 4 stars because the LA restaurant scene has some outstanding places/chefs!

Reviewed 22 August 2017

As a semi-vegetarian, Tar and Roses is a dream come true! Their veggies are out of this world -- I've tried their corn, sweet potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms, in addition to their gnocchi and bacon-glazed popcorn. The first time I went to Tar & Roses, I was with a couple of friends who are meat lovers. Even my friends were in love with the way that Tar & Roses prepared their veggies -- the sweet potatoes had a sweet and spicy kick, the mushrooms were perfectly sautéed with a runny egg, the carrots tasted as if they had just come off the grill minutes before.

I've also had delicious ice cream here -- most recently, I had the chef-made peppermint ice cream. The chef changes the flavors frequently and I've never been disappointed!

Tar & Roses is also an excellent ambience -- I'd recommend sitting on the patio if weather permits.

I'd also love to give a shout out to the wonderful staff. I've since come back to Tar & Roses a half dozen times for work, and most of the time I eat dinner alone. The host always recognizes me and knows my name, and the waiters are always super friendly. In some ways, I feel like Tar & Roses is a home away from home when I travel. Most recently, my flight landed just in the knick of time to arrive at Tar & Roses before it closed. The host graciously held a table for me a few minutes after seating had formally ended. It's little moments like these that make Tar & Roses my go-to restaurant when I'm in LA!