“Fun, hip restaurant with great food”
Review of Tar and Roses

Tar and Roses
Reserve with OpenTable
Tar and Roses is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 705 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Price range: USD 15 - USD 35
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: SE Corner of 6th Street
Description: Centered around a wood burning oven, Tar & Roses serves up farmers market dishes with global influences.
Reviewed 23 August 2017

Ok, here's my only "criticism"- the small plates and vegetables were so good (and we ordered so many), that we didn't make it to the entrees!! We had to wait for our table but staff was quick to bring us something to drink. We were fortunate to be seated on the patio- lovely! Our server was attentive and helpful, even when we were indecisive, especially with their wines by the glass! I would not hesitate to recommend this place and only gave it 4 stars because the LA restaurant scene has some outstanding places/chefs!

Reviewed 22 August 2017

As a semi-vegetarian, Tar and Roses is a dream come true! Their veggies are out of this world -- I've tried their corn, sweet potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms, in addition to their gnocchi and bacon-glazed popcorn. The first time I went to Tar & Roses, I was with a couple of friends who are meat lovers. Even my friends were in love with the way that Tar & Roses prepared their veggies -- the sweet potatoes had a sweet and spicy kick, the mushrooms were perfectly sautéed with a runny egg, the carrots tasted as if they had just come off the grill minutes before.

I've also had delicious ice cream here -- most recently, I had the chef-made peppermint ice cream. The chef changes the flavors frequently and I've never been disappointed!

Tar & Roses is also an excellent ambience -- I'd recommend sitting on the patio if weather permits.

I'd also love to give a shout out to the wonderful staff. I've since come back to Tar & Roses a half dozen times for work, and most of the time I eat dinner alone. The host always recognizes me and knows my name, and the waiters are always super friendly. In some ways, I feel like Tar & Roses is a home away from home when I travel. Most recently, my flight landed just in the knick of time to arrive at Tar & Roses before it closed. The host graciously held a table for me a few minutes after seating had formally ended. It's little moments like these that make Tar & Roses my go-to restaurant when I'm in LA!

Reviewed 17 August 2017

In town visiting my daughter and she took me here. We were a little earlier than the local dinner crowd so had ample seating choices. Because of this they led us to the back of the restaurant and out to a hidden outside patio area with a few tables. It was great! Fine food and LA weather great combo.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Wow what a place. Clearly very popular and definitely need to book regardless of the day. Menu is very inventive but the price goes with it. Service was excellent. Very attentive, partly driven by the popularity and the need to turn around tables.
The nice thing about the restaurant is the ability to enjoy sharing plates and thus enjoying many dishes. Need to go there hungry to truly annoy the experience. Our table was inside and thus a bit noisy but they also have a backyard courtyard open to the skies which is worth reserving.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Cannot remember what I had, just no every bite was tantalizing and I was completely entranced with one of the Manager's 9 month old son having dinner with Mom next to me. He was eating everything..... This was by far our best meal over a three day stay in Santa Monica....