“Decent food, but; ridiculously LOUD; misrepresentations”
Review of Brick & Mortar

Brick & Mortar
Reserve with OpenTable
Brick & Mortar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #186 of 709 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

We called on Saturday to confirm the NFL game we wanted to watch would be shown The next day on at least one of Brick & Mortar's dozens of televisions. We then returned with friends and family on Sunday to have brunch and watch the game. The first problem was seating our group of approximately 16. After also assuring us on Saturday that they could accommodate our group, the best they were willing to do was seat us at two, widely-separated tables.

But wait, you ask. Were the tables close enough to permit conversation or other interaction? Were people at both tables at least able to view the game? Those answers would be no and no. Despite their assurances the prior day, and though they had telecasts of most NFL games played that Sunday, Brick & Mortar did NOT subscribe to a channel or service that carried the game we came to watch. To make matters worse, even people at the separate tables were unable to converse because the music that was blasted through the over-sized sound system by the stupid DJ (sound for every television broadcast was turned to zero) was SO RIDICULOUSLY LOUD no one could talk to anyone, even those at their own table. I couldn't hear or be heard by my wife next to me or by anyone just across the table. Forget about those 2 or 3 chairs away at the end of the table.

We arrived early enough to have brunch before the game. Food portions were adequate and quality was fair-to-good, but never great. The bloody marys were spicy and the $20 bottomless mimosa was a good value. Service was surprisingly good, given the environment the waitresses also had to endure. After finishing our meals and becoming frustrated at trying to interact, we left and went somewhere else to watch the game and to laugh, talk and have the fun we originally planned.

The real shame is that a majority of this group had travelled from points all across the country to reunite and, among other things, watch this game together. I won't return to Brick & Mortar--and I will discourage others from going there, especially in groups--until they turn the music down to merely ear-splitting levels and become serious about delivering on their assurances to customers.

Reviewed 27 August 2016

Tucked away in a courtyard off of Main Street, Nice place with a cool vibe. Bartenders are attentive and make a good drink. Really nice ambiance. Open doors with inside and outside seating. Happy Hour runs late and includes food.

Reviewed 29 April 2016

Tried to walk in at night, reservations only. We were told how good it was so we went back next afternoon. We had very friendly service and the food was awesome. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 23 April 2016

I love Brick & Mortar
The atmosphere, the food and the staff just make it an overall friendly and cool spot to hang out in!

Reviewed 13 February 2016

This was my first time eating at this Main St. restaurant. I ordered the Ahi Tuna and it was just Ok. We were disappointed because one of the main reasons to go there was for their famous Baked Brie - all gone - ran out. The place was romantic with subdued lighting and the restaurant was hidden in the back so it was off the main street. I will go back again because the rest of my family liked it a lot.