“Great Stay-Can't Wait to Return”

Shutters on the Beach
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great Stay-Can't Wait to Return”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed in late Sept/Oct and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We were in a double which wasn't the largest room I have ever stayed but it was quaint and homely, and had the most comfortable beds I have experienced. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the lobby is transformed at night to a vey cool jazz bar.

We were in for 4 nights and ate at Coast for breakfast each day (which we found excellent) and after an 13 hour flight it was the easy option at night. We really enjoyed the casual atmosphere and food.

Coming from New Zealand we really liked the transition offered by Santa Monica before embarking on our trip to Vegas and NYC.

I would highly recommend Shutters and we intend to return early new year.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jas0n03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 October 2011

The guest rooms are the best part of the Shutters experience, perfectly appointed with the right amount of style and function. The beds are some of the best in high-end hotels. This is the second time I've stayed for a business function and the banquet food has been consistently outstanding. That's hard to do!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ann H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Five star small resort with the right mix of charm, amenities and on point service; right on the beach in Santa Monica.

It's exactly what you want if you're into quaint charming resorts with impeccable staff.

Right on the public beach in Santa Monica; swimmable ocean with tons of fantastic public beach amenities for adults and kids (not to mention the famous pier carnival is 100 yards from the resort). The resort also provides specially designed "Kate Spade" bicycles for a very small fee.

We had rooms 625 and 627; city view (rooms with the lowest rates during our stay). Although the room is a little on the small side, the decor and the in-room amenites are absolutely what you want out of a sea-side retreat. Very cape-cod-beachy; classy quirky. Clean and feels new. Flat screen TV. Great room.

Lots of great restaurant choices (Chez Jay is a personal favorite; low key old Rat Pack hang-out) walkable from Shutters, as well as a wonderful outdoor mall about 5 blocks away.

Highly recommended for couples, girls/guys get-away or families.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 October 2011

This past October was the second time I’ve stayed at Shutters, although I was happy to share the hotel this time with my significant other. On each occasion, I’ve enjoyed a strongly positive experience. During this stay, however, we decided on the Full Ocean View room, which lived up to its name. The room was lovely, with a dark glossy wooden floor, a large comfy bed, and a wall of windows looking out onto a balcony and the Pacific beyond, tastefully screened by white plantation-style shutters (of course). The bathroom had a Jacuzzi-style tub with a separate shower. We opened the privacy doors above the tub to create a look-through to the main room and the ocean out our window.

Going back a bit, check-in was smooth and on our way past the jazz band playing in the lobby, we caught sight of a certain prominent television personality from CNN lounging by the fireplace. Last time, our star sighting was in the One Pico Restaurant, but I can understand why this person was in the lobby as the atmosphere was relaxed and the cocktails were definitely flowing. After check-in, we had dinner at One Pico. Although I’ve eaten there several times in the past without issue, the service and the food quality was a bit off this time around.

The following morning, I made use of the basement gym that in spite of its strange location in the hotel, is impeccably maintained with top notch fitness equipment (these may be the only treadmills I've used with built-in TVs which actually worked as they were supposed to). We then had brunch at Costa, Shutters’ second restaurant which has a pleasant outdoor seating area with a small fountain and views of the ocean. As part of our room package -a special seasonal deal- the hotel offered free bikes which we took down to Venice beach and back. Even if not included in the stay, they are definitely worth the rental fee. Shutters is located within a five minute walk from the Santa Monica Pier and is one of the very few hotels in Santa Monica directly on the beach. It is quite simply among the best locations in LA, and is peerless if you want direct beach access. As with check-in, check-out was a cinch. Although an issue during my past stay, the valet service this time was adequately staffed and my car was brought around promptly. In a nutshell, even with the seasonal deal, Shutters was no bargain but you get what you pay for and Shutters was worth the price. I’ll be back.

Room Tip: The Full Ocean View room is worth the extra money if you want the true beach experience.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RenardFX
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This is a beautifully situated hotel, and I cannot fault the room I stayed in - design, fittings, features are all unique. They would want to be given the cost of this, an ocean view room!.

I was not impressed with the staff / service - lobby, bar, nor restaurants. I was traveling on my own for a few days before a conference downtown, and my solo state seemed to confuse and agitate everyone. I was either ignored or given volumes of newspapers to occupy me! It was very uncomfortable after a while, and I don't often feel this way when traveling. The one pico restaurant is trying far too hard to be european, and no one bothered to tell customers that most of the room service menu was off while there were works being done in Coast.

Arrived off a long flight to find not even a bottle of water in the room - ensuring you used the minbar and paid for it.

To charge significant amounts for wifi given the room cost is ridiculous, and compares poorly with some far more prestigious hotels as well as the 2-star variety.

Would love to return - given the location and access to santa monica - but unlikely to, given the above. Will not be recommending to others.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo