“Great potential and concept, but poor execution”
Review of Your Place

Your Place
Ranked #210 of 406 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Price range: USD 10 - USD 50
Cuisines: American
Description: Inspired by the rich availability of Local organic produce, sustainable seafood and naturally raised beef, our dining experience is itself a destination. Immerse yourself in Santa Cruz and what it has to offer.
Reviewed 24 October 2018

This week is Santa Cruz Restaurant Week, and we use it as an opportunity to go check out other restaurants that we haven’t tried yet.

On Saturday night, we went to Your Place. We had a reservation for 6:30, and when we arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly hostess and taken immediately to our table. Your Place is quite lovely. I loved the cute vintage salt and pepper shakers and the mismatched China. Yes, real China, not industrial, almost bullet-proof, restaurant plates. Everywhere you looked you could tell that someone had an eye for decorating, and an eye for detail. There was a guy playing guitar, which was good at first. However, as we listened, we realized that every song sounded exactly the same, whether it was Tracy Chapman or Neil Young. I can’t criticize too much though because I just have to hand it to anyone who gets up in front of a group of people and sings and plays guitar.

This is where things start to go awry. Shortly after we were seated, water and bread and butter arrived at our table, and they were great. And then we waited, and waited, and waited for someone to come take our order. We waited about 25 minutes. Then, the waitress went to the table that was seated after us and took their order. Then she came and took ours. As we waited for our food, we started to realize part of the problem. There seemed to be three people delivering water, bread, and food, and bussing the tables, but there was only one person taking the orders. We also realized that she was also the one making the drinks. It looked like there was one person to take all the orders and make all the drinks for the entire restaurant. Then we saw that the entire bar was getting piled up with dirty dishes. That’s just wrong. Not only is it bad feng shui, it’s cutting off a potential revenue stream, where people could be enjoying cocktails at the bar before being seated. But then, who would be there to make the cocktails?

About 15 minutes later, a server brought a large cocktail by and asked if it was ours. I didn’t know what it was, so I didn’t know if it was ours. She didn’t know what it was either. And neither did someone else whom she asked. It disappeared. Then we noticed that the chef was coming out to get the dirty dishes off of the bar. I guess that they were running out of dishes in the kitchen. We were getting discouraged and were discussing leaving. We were unhappy and about ready to find a server and let her know that we were leaving when our cocktails arrived, so we decided to stay. They were large, good, pretty, and not too weak or too strong, but more toward the weak side. Things improved after the cocktails arrived. Shortly after that, our food arrived. We had the salad and the sautéed mushrooms. The salad was good. It was fresh. It was basic. The dressing was nice. The mushrooms were eh. They were sautéed mushrooms, but fairly flavorless. Then our entrees arrived. I had the eggplant parmesan and my husband had the salmon. Mine was awesome. It was a good-size portion and it wasn’t oily at all, which I love. It was excellent. My husband’s salmon was slightly overcooked, but definitely not cooked to death. He said that it was excellent. For dessert, we had the chocolate ganache cake and the carrot cake. Both were good.

I should say that one of the servers did keep checking on us and asked if we wanted more bread or water. She tried to check on where our cocktails were. She was trying to be helpful. She was definitely friendly and nice. But we still had to wait about 45 minutes before getting even our cocktails. We did see that our cocktails were comped on our bill, which we really appreciated.

Overall, our food was good, but not spectacular. I think Your Place has the potential for spectacular, but not during Restaurant Week. Something must have happened, like two other servers missed work that night, or something. Things were not running smoothly. Your Place did Restaurant Week last year, so they should have known what to expect and known to have enough staff to handle the full house. The décor is lovely and fun, and the idea of farm to table food is fantastic. Would I go back to Your Place? Yes, possibly, maybe. It’s on the other side of the planet from us, which makes it less likely for me to go to. I think that if I wanted to dine on that side of town, I would go to Ristorante Avanti.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Cute little place, slow service but who wants to hurry for Sunday brunch. Food tasty and reasonable. Right on the coastline, no view but nice ambiance. Quite a lot of diversity in ththe clientele. Which is nice. I had eggs Benedict and nothing better. Yum.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 18 June 2018

My wife and I and family unfortunately had breakfast at this restaurant. The food preparation was not good. The potatoes were served cold, the sausage links had a bad taste and couldn't be eaten. The tea was served with coffee grounds in the warm not hot water. The server boys came in with the shirts wrinkled and not tucked in. The one server tucked his shirt in next to us and didn't wash his hands. The other server spilled Memosa's all over the back of a grandmother in our party and never apologized. We were recommended to this restaurant be the Mission Inn. We called the Mission Inn after leaving the restaurant to let them know of our bad experience. They said that they would contact the owners and let them know of our breakfast experience. I hope the owners correct all the problems that we encountered.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 16 August 2017

My daughters and I love exploring and finding "hidden gems". While on our trip to NorCal we spent one night in Santa Cruz. We wanted a great meal that was close to home cooking or comfort food utilizing fresh and good ingredients. So after some research we ran into "Your Place".

This charming restaurant is located in a relatively nondescript strip mall. As such you may be likely to overlook it for fancier places on the coast. Please don't! The food here was excellent. The husband and wife that own and operate the restaurant (Art and Rachel) are absolutely charming and welcoming. Their menu is broad and there are plenty of options for everyone. They bring a lot of the fruits and vegetables from their own garden and neighboring farms. Ask them for recommendations.

One of my daughters and I shared the Capresse salad which had incredibly fresh tomatoes and was excellent. My other daughter had a the steamed artichoke which was locally gown as well. Of the other items we had, the meatloaf was my favorite. Its an old family recipe and was just what I needed. Served with mash potatoes and fresh garden vegetables it was a solid meal.

For desert, you should try the amazing carrot cake. It was very moist and full of flavor.

Its clear the owners are passionate about providing their guests with a truly unique farm to table experience. Their cooking is sophisticated, yet comforting at the the same time.

If you find yourself in Santa Cruz, you would be well served by trying out "Your Place" for dinner or lunch.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank agg2011
Reviewed 13 August 2017

Started coming here about two years ago. This is long over due. Situated in a little strip mall, behind a plain entrance is an eclectic collection of glasses dishes bowls and plates, not to mention a kitchen serving generous helpings of local farm to table goodness. Everything fresh and delicous.

Have enjoyed breakfasts (Benedict's rock) and the bottomless Mimosa is truly bottomless. Fresh orange juice and champagne not served by the glass, rather by the pitcher. I could try to describe all the different breakfasts I've tried, let's just say "War and Peace" may rival my reviews.

Moving to diner once again where to start? A cocktail served in a beer stein? Yup, had a delicious gin and tonic. (Only need one and the price crazy cheap for the size) the meal. Well there's enough to share so plan accordingly. My absolute favorite is the lamb chops. These are done to perfection. Come with a choice of side (twice bake potato-better order them quick as they a made fresh daily and when gone they are gone) it's odd when ordering a meat dish the veggies are the first to go they are just that good.

Give Your Place a try it's just like home.

Date of visit: August 2017