“Extraordinary ribs & pulled pork”
Review of Mission St Bbq

Mission St Bbq
Ranked #4 of 16 Quick Bites in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

We were driving through Santa Cruz on our round trip through the American West and we got attracted by 2 big smokers next to the building. That was a GREAT unplanned stop for an early dinner. PERFECT!

Date of visit: September 2016

Reviewed 2 September 2016

Quick service with large portions, nothing fancy but good food at average price- not cheap but reasonable.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Sometimes BBQ places sauce their meats to makeup for the lack of smoky flavor or flavorful rubs, but not here. But I did have to make 3 visits here before I got what I wanted, because they sell out of certain things fast. The sides are pretty good, but the brisket was spot on -- smoky, moist, just the right amount of fat and tender. There's plenty of beer choices on tap and plenty of seating. If you are headed to the west side of Santa Cruz, this is a good casual place to stop for BBQ.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Chicken wasn't very cooked. Ribs were lukewarm. Sides were lame. Service was decent. Just food subpar. The beers were good. But how's a BBQ place missing Bbq sauce at lunch hour. Our tiny jar of house sauce with little left was constantly being hijacked by people coming by to beg to borrow it. One jar shared by the whole place?!

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

I would have to agree with a previous review.

I had the 1/2 rack of St. Louis style ribs, and they were awesome. Tender, cooked to perfection.

My wife had the brisket salad. Meat was great, fantastic salad with black berries, blue cheese, onions, sweet bell peppers.

This would be a five star review if not for the Cole slaw and potato salad sides I ordered.

Cole slaw had no flavor, tasted like cabbage only (give it a 1). Potato salad was better, but still very bland ( give it a 3)

Beer on tap selection was great. Free samples. My wife loved the Salted Carmel, I really enjoyed the Blonde *itch.

Place was very clean, the help was friendly.

Great place for lunch or dinner

Date of visit: August 2016

Been to Mission St Bbq? Share your experiences!