Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages
Mission Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
USD 190*
Dream Inn(Santa Cruz)
USD 338*
USD 269*
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
USD 147*
ComfortInn
Beach Street Inn and Suites(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
USD 335*
Best Western Plus All Suites Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
USD 277*
USD 268*
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
USD 207*
USD 183*
Hilton.com
Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
USD 266*
USD 258*
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
USD 247*
Autograph
  • Pool
USD 311*
USD 287*
West Cliff Inn, a Four Sisters Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
USD 295*
All reviewsthe cottagesbagels and cream cheesesunny coveprivate beachnice deckfull kitchenpatio furniturecontinental breakfastsmall kitchenhome away from homebed was very comfortablecapitolaunitboardwalkpulloutmotelproximity
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The owners were nice and helpful. Just wasn't impressed with the place. Not in the greatest location. When I talked to them on the phone, they made it seem like it was ON the beach. It is pretty close to the beach but definitely not what I had imagined.

Room Tip: I'm sure you can find a better cottage.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eric316
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed in Cottage Numbers 1 and 10 last weekend. They were perfect for our family of four (kids 4 and 5). The property is clean and very well maintained. The managers do an outstanding job, are very friendly and accomodating. This place has special childhood memories for me, and going back after over 30 years, it was better than I remember it. It is a gem in a great Santa Cruz location. We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: If you have small kids (no more than two), try to get number 10. Our kids had fun "upstairs."
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark T
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We came to Santa Cruz for a concert, and were very pleasantly surprised with the room we found at Ocean Echo. We found it through our GPS, and gave them a call. Their prices were lower than any other place we called on a holiday weekend (about 4 hotels), and when we got there, we not only had a great clean room, with a kitchenette, but it was only 50 yards from the beach. We definitely plan on coming back to spend a few nights there. Just down the road from the boardwalk, but far enough away that it is peaceful & quiet and you have your own private beach to use with just a few others. A great little hide-away. Loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #8
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzanne M
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I really like this place, so I almost want to keep it to myself, but I probably won't get to vacation as much as I want, so I'll go ahead and share it with you: First of all, wow, this place is just a few steps from the really great Sunny Cove beach, which is so cute and small and nicely sheltered, with nice swimming waves, etc! (Like, you are right there and you don't have to cross any busy streets, as you do with 99% of all other “beach” places!) At about $150 per night, this place is a great deal and I find it very charming too, in a very simple, old, but still adorable kind of way. We stayed in room 9, a single room, with the wife and babies, which is one of their smaller rooms, but it has its own kitchen, and overall, it's bigger than many beach places where I've stayed. Some, like me will love this place, and other may not, so here's how to determine if this is the correct place for you: Do you need a 5 star hotel, with valet parking, in a brand new modern hotel at the beach where you want to see and be seen in the latest fashions, etc? If so, then EHHHN, wrong answer, go somewhere else (like Monterey or Seascape, but you'll be paying $300 to $400 per night for the smallest of rooms). Or, are you a more outdoorsy type, who dislikes valet parking and elevators and loves parking right outside the room so it's easy store/use all your gear, etc, and maybe you've even enjoyed camping before (or staying in simple cabins at Tahoe) and you're not afraid of using some simple old pots in a simple cabin style kitchen, and you love the idea of keeping the room bill under $200 per night for an awesome beach location? If so, then you are on the right track here with the Ocean Echo, because: You get to park right near your room, you are right at an awesome beach, your room has its own quirky but cute little old kitchen (wow you ain't gonna find that for $150 anywhere else), the bathroom is fine (it's older, but I found it to be clean and still cute, with tile floor and a nice porcelain sink, which I find cute in a cottagey old way), and the bed is very big and comfortable, with nice wood furniture, and a neat wood ceiling that to me just perfectly completes the cottage cabin feel. I found it to also be perfectly clean overall but some people may complain about all the old stuff, (like a 10 to 20 year old kitchen & bath) and say "Why can't you keep everything updated each year with all new kitchen appliances and brand new bath decor" and they certainly could do that, but hey if they did, they'd be charging $300 to $400 per night! The way I see it, the very nice owners of the Ocean Echo are trying to be nice to their loyal customers by keeping the prices low and keeping the older beach cottage cabin feel, by doing everything themselves with a very small staff, instead of turning it into high end luxury units, which they could easily do (as Seascape has, but again, for $400 per night). So that's the way to size it all up, and I definitely plan on coming back, and I say bravo to the owners for keeping the prices down, but still providing larger than normal rooms with cabiny cuteness (and kitchens!) at such a nice, quiet little beach! Also note: just because the prices are a great deal does not mean that the clientele is a bunch of loud young beach partiers, in fact, quite the contrary: when we parked our nice sporty Acura MDX full of baby gear here, it was right next to other nice sporty cars full of their own kids gear, such as BMW’s and Volvo’s, etc. So all in all, a very nice place to stay for the sporty but casual beach loving outdoorsy types! (Make sure you set the expectations with your spouse first though, to see if they are in the same “camp” as you, no pun intended. For instance, if you yourself evaluate hotels by the number of dollars, but your spouse evaluates hotels based on the number of stars (with hopes of staying at the five star Half Moon Bay Ritz Carlton, etc) then you might want to have them read this review first, to get their “buy-in” to the beach cabin concept, before booking! :)

Room Tip: On their website you can find pictures of the rooms, and that helps a lot. I think the location of all the rooms are fine. I think 8 and 9 are the smallest rooms near the parking lot which usually rent last, but I think are still great. I think room 4 might be the bigger, harder to get room, maybe even having a view of the ocean! :)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Some guests wrote rave reviews about this place. I will not. I booked 2 nights through Priceline, paid $320+ for a cottage with a king sized bed, without ocean frontage or view. The cottage we got ( #9) is facing the parking lot and is part of what looks like a 50/60 yrs old small compound with deferred maintenance and some upgrades. Our cottage was OK clean, with enough towels and pillows; the bed was firm. The 3/4 bath was very small, had no heater or fan. Getting out of the shower stall was tricky due to the single 15" high slippery step; I would have felt safer had they installed a solid handle grab bar. The room window shades (cheap horizontal mini blinds style) were bentd and would not block much morning light or night parking lot light; both mornings, we got really up with the sunlight. The wall gas heater was providing heat, however I had to turn it off in the middle of the night because its was so noisy I could not sleep. The breakfast consisted of a basket of bagels, some cream cheese, yogurt and fruit. I saw no butter, no toast, no milk, no jellies, no cereals. The kitchen was OK, although without a D/W or sink disposal. The free WIFI worked well, the manager was friendly, the place is away from the main street and at walking distance to Sunny Cove. From our cottage we did not hear the ocean waves, but the guests and their children walking to their cars. Our neighbor to the south (#8) was quiet, with no kids or dog, so the paper thin walls were not put to the test. There was no adjacent room on the other side, however the self-closing wood gate from the other unit patio would slam into our exterior wall and make us feel someone was pounding our unit. We were very happy to leave this place. For me, the lack of comfort and the price charged did no match.

Room Tip: Read my review and decide for yourself.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NewUlysses
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

The issues mentioned above have been addressed and resolved. We are sorry for any inconveniences that may have occurred.
We strive to do the best we can with what we have to work with. To some this obviously is not enough, and for that we are sorry.
Feedback and constructive criticism are always welcome and we will do what we can.

Bill & Shelley