“Fabulous Breakfast!”

Ranked #6 of 406 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Stopped here on our way out of Santa Cruz. I am not a huge fan of eggs but had the ham, green pepper and cheese scrambler. BEST EGGS EVER! Lots of flavor and loaded with each ingredient. The home fries were excellent as well! Highly recommend eating here!

Reviewed 17 August 2017

We wanted a special lunch on our last day in Santa Cruz and picked Walnut Avenue Cafe because it seemed busy every time we passed it while doing a self guided walking tour of the beautifully restored historic homes near downtown. We were pleasantly surprised by the prompt and attentive service and the delicious luncheon choices. After much deliberation, I chose a club sandwich, while my husband picked the Monte Crisco sandwich. Both came with a wide choice of sides and were reasonably priced. I had the cole slaw, while he chose the potato salad; both were delicious. Our sandwiches were both great, but he rated the Monte Crisco highest because we rarely find that sandwich on a menu in the United States, and never prepared as authentically as at Walnut Ave Cafe.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Very busy restaurant, but the coffee cups were always filled! Delicious food!

Park in the Trader's Joe parking lot for free for 2 hours and walk 2 to 3 blocks to the restaurant.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

I really like this place. I've never had a bad experience or meal here. It can get busy at peak times. Popular on Sundays and Mothers Day.

The huevos rancheros is very good.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 10 July 2017

I'll start with my main issue -- the counter service is highly variable. There is no one server responsible for the counter, but it is shared by all the servers who also have their regular tables to look out for. This can leave you feeling like an orphan at times. Other times it's just fine.

That said, this is my main go-to breakfast place. Eat here a lot.

The breakfast and lunch menus are all very good with lots of variations to keep things interesting. Has a nice outdoor sidewalk patio that is dog friendly. There are only 4 or 5 tables, so in nice weather fills up fast.

Lots of regulars show up for the 7am - 8am service as there's no parking meters operating then. otherwise, be sure to feed you meter even on weekends.

Date of visit: July 2017