All reviews across the street great location dual shower waffles ocean view shared balcony free parking natural bridges state park continental breakfast family suite west cliff drive walked everywhere rooms are clean a great place to stay definitely stay here again beach boardwalk we've stayed
Reviewed 20 September 2017

First impression of Seaway Inn is positive because everything is so well maintained. We chose one of four studios with a kitchen that was a 5-minute walk away from the main facility. Well located--just a 5-minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and the Boardwalk. No ocean view but very quiet. A bright security light outside the bathroom did make you think it was morning at 3 am. The studio was quaint with a drop-down ironing board in a shallow closet I remember from my childhood. Heat/AC wasn't noisy and worked well. Bedding and towels were excellent and bath fixtures and appliances were modern. Kitchen was missing spoons and kitchen linens. I requested from housekeeping without success. Crevice between range and countertop needed a good cleaning and found dirty knife in drawer, so we ate out. Good breakfast available at main facility each morning and dining room area was very clean. Front desk staff were friendly and eager to help.

Room Tip: Don't choose studio if you want an ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaliforniaGirl52
Stephanie V, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you were mostly satisfied, but wish that we could have accommodated your request in regards to receiving more silverware. Unfortunately, after the summer, some of it did disappear, but we are in the process of replenishing what was taken. I will make sure to remind my housekeepers to look out for dirty silverware in the drawer and that crevice that you mentioned.
I hope that the negative issues mentioned do not keep you from considering us for your stay, the next time you should be in our area.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

We was about sceptical as we have never staying in a motel before however this was lovely, the room was massive, the bed was huge and the bathroom very modern with a double shower, we had fast wifi in the room and cable TV.
We stayed in room 225 and it was spotlessly clean, we did arrive a little early for check in but we were able to leave our car parked so we had a quick wander down to the wharf which is literally a minutes stroll away, and we were told come back in 30 minutes and it should be ready (it was) location of this motel is brilliant right in the heart of Santa Cruz, with the wharf, boardwalk and restaurants right on your doorstep. Stephanie on the front desk was really welcoming and friendly. Also breakfast is kinda continental self serve style with yogurts/cereal/waffles/bagels/coffee.
Overall we had a great stay and was exactly what we needed after a long trip!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! We are happy to hear that you were treated well and that you were satisfied with the accommodations! We hope to see you again, should the occasion arise.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

with their excellent staff and location right by the wharf and boardwalk, the seaway inn is a great place to stay in santa cruz! we were always greeted with a friendly smile, and our room was just right for our one-night stay.

Stayed: August 2017

We are so happy to hear that you were treated well and enjoyed our location. We hope to see you again, should you be back in our area.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We went to Santa Cruz for one night, for a quick end of Summer break getaway with our two toddlers. We wanted a clean, convenient hotel that had an option for a separate room for our girls, and we didn't want to spend a fortune. The Seaway fit the bill for this trip and we'd be fine staying there again (and we've stayed at the not-to-be-named, much more expensive hotel across the street as well as other hotels in Santa Cruz).

This is not a luxury accommodation, but it has some really great features. Going away with kids is always more of a "trip" rather than a vacation, so we try to at least get a separate room for our kids, so we can all try to sleep. The "family room" at the Seaway is tucked in the back corners of the building so they are dark with zero view, but they offered two pull-out chairs for our daughters to sleep on (which worked great for our toddlers but may not work great for bigger kids), had a fridge, microwave, and really everything we needed.

Although I really appreciated the crisp white bedding and towels (and general cleanliness of the room), my feet got filthy walking on the carpet after my shower and I wasn't walking on the carpet without socks for too long. Even though I don't love a tiled bedroom, for a motel/hotel/inn so near the beach, this place should probably have tile floors which are easier to keep clean of sand/dirt and water, or they should get the carpets cleaned much more often. Also, it made me very uncomfortable that the only lock on the exterior door was a push lock that opened if you just turned the door handle - that is a safety issue not just for a family with small kids who could walk right out the door and into the parking lot, but for anyone staying in a hotel/motel.

PROS:
Close to the beach - short walk to Boardwalk
Early Check-in (this was awesome since our daughter had to nap)
Free parking!
Family Room with separate space for kids
Breakfast included (also awesome)
Make-up remover wipes (a little thing, but one that I really appreciate!)

CONS:
Room was dark
Carpet was filthy
No deadbolt or chain lock on exterior door to room
Parking lot can get full
No hair conditioner (this is a small pet peeve of mine)

I'm not sure that I'd pick the Seaway for a romantic getaway with just my husband, but for a family getaway near the beach, I'd definitely give it a thumb's up.

Room Tip: I'm sure top floor rooms are quieter than ours was.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Stephanie V, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

We appreciate your comments in regards to your recent stay with us and are happy to see that you mostly enjoyed your stay.
We have just cleaned all of the carpets in our rooms, just this past week. We had a very busy summer and did not want to have to inconvenience our guests with wet carpets, so decided that we had to wait for a slow down of sorts. Had I realized that the carpet was that filthy however, we would have definitely taken care of it right away. We are currently in discussion about replacing the carpets with LVT (luxury vinyl tile) flooring, but that may still be a year or so out.
Our main site parking lot is small, which is why we do ask guests to only bring 1 vehicle per guest room booked, but we do currently have additional parking available to our guests however, when our main lot fills up. (Still free of charge to our guests.)
We do currently offer a shampoo/conditioner (two in one) type of hair product, but I will make sure to research some other options, and we greatly appreciate your suggestion on this matter.
Most of our guest rooms are equipped with a sliding door, which has a leaver on the handle to lock and unlock it. I will speak with my maintenance person in regards to installing some chain locks on the rooms that have the standard doors, but we, unfortunately, do not have this type of locking option for our slider doors, which would be 15 of our 18 rooms on our main site. We do appreciate your suggestion on this matter as well.
All in all, we are happy to see that you are mostly satisfied with your stay and do hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

The Inn was great! It was close to the boardwalk, the dogs were comfortable, clean, polite staff, and the continental breakfast hit the spot. I would recommend this inn to anyone going to Santa Cruz for the Boardwalk or other beaches.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Stephanie V, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Thank you for staying with us, and for your recommendation too. We hope to see you as well, should you be back in our area!