“Decor is outstanding; the rest goes downhill”
Review of El Palomar

El Palomar
Ranked #34 of 395 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Soquel Avenue
Description: Since El Palomar’s opening in 1983, we have been serving Santa Cruz unique and fresh Mexican cuisine inspired by authentic family recipes. Our commitment to excellence has continuously earned us the “Best Mexican Restaurant in Santa Cruz” award.
Reviewed 29 January 2018

We were seven on a Saturday night. We sat in the bar, but at tables. Four of us were very disappointed with the food; the other three had better luck (seafood fajitas and a salad). Two had had cheese and onion enchilladas, which were possibly the worst ever. The red sauce seemed straight from a can, the cheese was bland and of skimpy amount, the rice and beans were both also bland. The wait person tried to be helpful, but was working against the crowded atmosphere. I thought the chips were good (and plentiful) but the salsa was unimaginative. Unquestionably, it is an attractive place with a nice historical vibe. Saturday eve deserves some tolerance on noise and waiting time. And maybe we chose wrong. But I can't understand the rave reviews. I doubt I'll be back. There are many other Mexican restaurants in the area that I prefer.

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Very nice Mexican food! Loveeeed the chimichangas I had there once, so good! The tacos and burritos are very good as well! Will come back any time

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I tried the Chili Rellano lunch special. I choose the rice and beans. I really enjoyed the CR, I could tell if was really fresh and enjoyed the topping of sliced tomato diced onion and cilantro. Rice and Beans were average but not bad. Overall I enjoyed my lunch and would go back.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

A friend recommended El Palomar, especially the beans. We were not impressed. The beans on September 7 were bland. The chili relleno was so watery that it made a puddle on the plate. The burritos, one chicken and one chili verde, were only average.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

We've lived in Santa Cruz for a while now and have always heard great things about this restaurant so we gave it a go one afternoon. I will say that I was not impressed with the food or service. We'd planned to stay for a bit and have a few drinks and start eat slowly, so starting with the quesadilla as an app is as far as we got, when it came out it was already cold and completely soggy. When we mentioned it to our server he didn't even acknowledge it. He just sort of said sorry and kept on going about his business. From an ambiance perspective the inner restaurant was nice with a well lit bar but that's about it. I wouldn't bother again.