“When in Santa Cruz...”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Soquel Avenue
Description: Since El Palomar’s opening in 1983, we have been serving Santa Cruz unique and fresh Mexican cuisine inspired by authentic family recipes. Our commitment to excellence has continuously earned us the “Best Mexican Restaurant in Santa Cruz” award.
Reviewed 4 December 2017

you best eat a burrito. When I first visited Santa Cruz the whole town smelled like burritos to me. It didn't take long before the craving took hold, and I found myself in El Palomar. The atmosphere was a little lacking, but the food was fully satisfying.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I tried the Chili Rellano lunch special. I choose the rice and beans. I really enjoyed the CR, I could tell if was really fresh and enjoyed the topping of sliced tomato diced onion and cilantro. Rice and Beans were average but not bad. Overall I enjoyed my lunch and would go back.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

A friend recommended El Palomar, especially the beans. We were not impressed. The beans on September 7 were bland. The chili relleno was so watery that it made a puddle on the plate. The burritos, one chicken and one chili verde, were only average.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

We've lived in Santa Cruz for a while now and have always heard great things about this restaurant so we gave it a go one afternoon. I will say that I was not impressed with the food or service. We'd planned to stay for a bit and have a few drinks and start eat slowly, so starting with the quesadilla as an app is as far as we got, when it came out it was already cold and completely soggy. When we mentioned it to our server he didn't even acknowledge it. He just sort of said sorry and kept on going about his business. From an ambiance perspective the inner restaurant was nice with a well lit bar but that's about it. I wouldn't bother again.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

On arrival we were given chips & salsa which were refilled continuously and very tasty. We then shared nachos to start which were great.
We then had enchiladas & fajitas which were okay but quite bland, not as tasty as the starter. The portions were decent sizes however and the value was good.
Margaritas were great too!