“Clean and convenient. Great deal!”
Review of The Islander Motel

The Islander Motel
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 March 2017

The Islander claims to be the "cleanest in Santa Cruz" and it would be hard to dispute their claim. This place was spotless. The rooms have all been recently renovated so everything is new - bathrooms, carpet, furniture. The rooms are on the small side, this is after all a 60s error motor court motel, but our King room had everything we needed. The space is used wisely so there was room for a microwave and small refrigerator (both spotlessly clean). There is no coffee maker in the room, although they do provide coffee in the office in the morning. We went to a great coffee shop just a short walk down the street. The only issue was no towel bar and no hook on back of bathroom door. The remodel looks very recent, so maybe those are yet to come? From the Islander it's an easy walk downtown so you don't have to mess with parking once you're there. Even though it's situated on a busy street and all the rooms face the parking lot, we weren't bothered by any noise. Like most California properties all of the rooms are non-smoking, so there's the urn full of sand out in the parking lot for smokers. The ashtray was cleaned out between 11:30 pm and 7:30 am. Why would you care, especially if you don't smoke? Because the fact that they're paying that much attention to an ashtray by the dumpsters is an indication of their attention to cleanliness and detail. While we didn't use the pool it looked clean, although it's surrounded by a tall fence and has a very small pool deck. Kids might like it though. Check-in was a breeze and the manager was personable and helpful, giving us great walking directions to a venue we were visiting. I would definitely choose the Islander again.

Room Tip: It seems second floor not handicap accessible. We stayed in ground floor room and were not bothered...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Moeshaikh, Manager at The Islander Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2017

Thank you for being our guest. we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences while
with us and we pleased to know you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. It is our sincerest hope that
we
have the opportunity to see you again on your next trip to the Santa Cruz CA

Reviewed 29 December 2016

Since we've had a son at UC Santa Cruz, we've made numerous trips and have always stayed at the Islander. It's not especially fancy or romantic, but has always been very comfortable. The owners are friendly, and I only wish every motel was this clean! It's within easy walking distance of downtown, so I have opted to skip their continental breakfast in favor of Santa Cruz Coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms in back are quieter. Upstairs tends to get more traffic noise.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2016 via mobile

The Islander Motel is one of the cheapest motels in Santa Cruise. Because of that I wasn't expecting much having made a reservation via the internet. I even brought my Black Lite with me to check for bed bugs because I thought this place may be a dump. Boy, was I wrong. My room was modern, spotlessly clean, and comfortable. There was a microwave, a fridge, and a flat screen TV mounted on the wall. There was also indoor parking for the first six cars lucky enough to get one of those spots. I try to park my motorcycle in front if whatever room I happen to rent. You get four thick pillows on the bed. In fact, the bed, pillows, and blankets all look and feel new. There isn't any cigarette smoke smell in the room. In fact, no smells what-so-ever. I'm laying in this comfortable bed writing this review propped up with two of those thick soft pillows and thinking that most motel beds aren't this comfortable. I lucked out by staying here. So for all things I've mentioned, plus the low price for this area, I believe that a 5 star review is justified.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank _douglaswr73
Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

I thought this motel was fine for the price, clean room and comfortable bed. Nothing spectacular and we didn't try breakfast. Only thing we wish we'd known was the walk down ocean st is a bit dodgey, so take a detour and you're in an ideal location.

Stayed: October 2016
2  Thank Laura S
Reviewed 2 October 2016

We stayed for the night and it was allright. Clean, rather cheap, nicely looking and nothing to complain about. The rooms were usual motel rooms, not too small. There was apool which we did not use, but it looked servicable. We could walk to the beach/Boardwalk and had a nice night.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple