All reviews lobby area offer valet parking mandatory valet self park option enjoyed the pool area hot oatmeal us feel at home local activities whole foods hotel is centrally located residential neighborhood great complimentary breakfast the usual amenities very comfortable stay checked in quickly around midnight modern design
Reviewed 13 November 2018 via mobile

Great Hotel stay but a bit disappointed in the breakfast.
This is our second stay. The hotel over all is in a pretty good location and very clean and modern.
The disappointment was with the food quality during breakfast.
It seemed to me that there was a lack of care or attention to the food.
For example on there were waffles but no syrup. They waffles and pancakes were stale. The fruit was old and didn’t seem fresh.
They ran out of creamer (on a Saturday), when I requested more they said they were out. Yet about 30 minutes later they had creamer. My thoughts is the staff either didn’t care or was overwhelmed.

My family and I always stay at Hyatt’s so we are a custom to their bfast options. This hotel is well below others for bfast.

Disappointed because we love Hyatt.

Trip type: Travelled with family
PeterF5080, General Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

dear 708dannyg,

I am sorry about the breakfast. We cut over to a brand new menu on the 1st of November and it seems that the staff are still having difficulty with the adjustment.

The non dairy creamer is supposed to go away - we are down to our last half a box (probably the one they found when you were here). After that it's 2% and skim only.

Only a small percentage of the original items remain and we now have different methods of preparation - the eggs are made fresh versus the previous pre-cooked which is great but also allows more room for error as well. The new offerings are of a much higher quality and extremely healthier so once we get it down to a science it will truly shine.

That's no excuse for forgetting the syrup though.

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

My husband and I booked this hotel as a one night “layover” between Sonoma and visiting a friend in Southern California. Our friend mentioned after we booked that the hotel is on the border of a “sketchier” neighborhood, and recommended a fancier hotel on 41st ave.

We ultimately decided to take our chances and are so glad we did. The hotel is clean, spacious, and unexpectedly large! I have never seen a hotel room as big as this one- honestly some apartments I’ve been in are the same size. We were greeted with a complimentary bottle of wine, as I mentioned in the reservation that we were vacationing over our first anniversary. The pillows, linens, and bed were so comfortable- 10/10 overall. Thank you!!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PeterF5080, General Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Dear Janelle S,

A very happy first anniversary to you both! Thank you for sticking with the original plan. :) I am very happy to see how pleased you were and hope that you make us a part of your second anniversary celebration.

Reviewed 5 November 2018

We stayed here for the weekend and could not have been happier. Whomever does the hiring and training at this hotel needs to market it ! EVERY staff member we met (from morning until night) was extremely friendly, engaging, helpful, and courteous.

The rooms are large and clean, and we found the area very quiet at night.

The lobby is large and welcoming. The breakfast is fresh (pancakes need to be improved on) nice plates, real silverware. All food is kept at a good temperature on professional equipment.

Valet only parking $15/night.

I agree with the previous poster about the doors slamming shut. That is a loud noise and will startle you. If you had a sleeping baby, this would wake and scare them.

I am looking forward to returning. Please keep up the good work here!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PeterF5080, General Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2018

Dear Jobgirl2009,

Wow. Thank you so much. We are very fortunate to have staff members that are genuine and truly care about our guests. The only training needed is on the operational side - the customer service is all them. I am very happy that they impressed you that much.

As much as I would like to take full credit.

I will see where we are at with the doors. If we take too much tension off they will not self close.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 28 October 2018

The people, property and rooms here were very nice. While we did not eat breakfast here, the selection looked good and I love that the breakfast room is full of natural light. The hotel is centrally located and within walking and/or cycling distance to all one needs. Three things I was surprised about for a Hyatt property were: 1) the rooms did not have USB charging ports; 2) there were no disinfecting wipes in the fitness center; and mostly importantly, 3) the room doors leading to the hallway were not padded. Therefore, when they close automatically it is VERY, VERY, ALARMINGLY loud. Nonetheless, I would definitely stay here again - just wish they would fix those doors.

Date of stay: October 2018
PeterF5080, General Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2018

Dear frugaltexan009,

Thank you for pointing out the door - I will see if there is something that can be done to soften the impact and the noise when closing.

The wipe dispenser was actually sitting in housekeeping - not sure if they were refilling the dispenser or washing out the trash receptacle below but it is back where it belongs.

There actually are two USB ports in the little console beneath the TV (where you can connect your device via HDMI to the TV). Just nothing by the bedside where most people like to keep their devices (especially if using the alarm). Plenty of regular plugs throughout the room though.

We definitely look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 23 October 2018

Very nice room. Very clean. The carpet even feels clean to my bare feet. I called a few days ago and asked if they could make sure that they put my dad in a room next to me, the person was so nice. She ever called me back to make sure she was putting us in the right type of rooms. I would stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
PeterF5080, General Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Dear 818claudia,

Thank you very much for sharing your stay experience. I am happy that the staff went out of their way to get you and your Dad set up. I am glad you found the room to your liking and appreciate your noticing the cleanliness.

Hopefully we will see you again in the near future!