“Great service / average Chinese food”

Yan Can Asian Bistro
Ranked #50 of 446 Restaurants in Santa Clara
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 5 January 2017

The food was fine. We had won ton soup and honey walnut prawns. The service was great. The waiter was very attentive.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

Come here once in a while while in SJ. The take out is very quick and the food is good. Haven't had anything i didn't enjoy/

Reviewed 21 April 2016

Very friendly staff. Food was just okay. Not may other options in the area though, Clean restaurant.

Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

We were staying at a hotel nearby and decided to get food and meet back at the hotel to eat.
The counter help was efficent, but not really very welcoming. I guess they are so busy that you just become another face. He did take the time to show me gluten free options, but I felt it was a bit of a bother to him.
I ended up with the Sweet and Sour with chicken. The portion size was very generous, the price (for lunch) was reasonable. The sauce was delicious, the chicken was tender. The brown rice was cooked perfectly. My only complaint is that the chicken itself had a slight weird after taste, it tasted like the oil they used for sautéing was stale, or possibly overheated.
I would like to try them again on another visit to Santa Clara, I am guessing the oil issue is an anomaly as everything else was so well done.

Reviewed 4 March 2016

On our annual visits to Santa Clara, we always eat at least one meal at Yan Can. I certainly can't speak to the authenticity of the dishes, but on the whole, we have really enjoyed most of those we've tried. Last visit we sampled the mango beef and the Singapore tomato shrimp and found both to be unusual and delicious. The staff very patiently answered our questions about the ingredients and gave us recommendations based on our preferences. (Always had good and friendly service.) I suppose that I've eaten here at least 10 times through the years and have never seen the restaurant crowded, which is usually not a good sign, but one that I really don't understand as we have had many good meals (and some just so-so) here. We plan to return next year, and will continue to sample other dishes.